Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Virtual Reality Video Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-02, 12:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtual Reality Video Games

Remember when this was all the rage? It seems like nothing in the industry is going that way now. So will we be going back that way someday, when the technology is better? I liked VR, so I hope so.
Old 01-20-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a pretty cool FPS in the arcades that you stand in with a headset, and sticks that is closest I've seen in awhile.
Old 01-20-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember "Virtual Boy" from Nintendo
Mario Tennis was the ****
Old 01-20-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a Virtual Boy used from Blockbuster after they stopped carrying them. I had the tennis game and a few others but I can only remember Tennis...and the headaches....the red...the black...the headaches....
Old 01-20-02, 02:51 AM

wouldn't all those arcade games like the one where you put on gloves and box, and the one where you get on a snowboard, DDR, etc... be considered virtual reality? Or are you just talking about getting in that ring type thing with a zapper gun and 20lb goggles on your head? I remember playing Teradactial Wars at Dave & Busters on one of these setups, it was a really good time.
Old 01-20-02, 03:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone remember The Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa won't do yard work, then when they go to a Science Museum the first thing Bart does is go to the Virtual Reality Yard Work Exhibit.
Old 01-20-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

100 points to anyone here who's actually played Dactyl Nightmare.
Old 01-20-02, 04:17 PM

At the Disney Quest in Chicago (that used to be there?), there was this cool VR setup you put a helmet on and have these virtual light sabers...

it was awesome!!, sound, force feedback.
Old 01-21-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I played that Dactly game. I remember one time I didn't know what was going on because I couldn't control myself right until I realized what was happening. The dactyl had picked me up and was flying me around. I realized this when I saw the ground rapidly approaching my face. weird.
Old 01-21-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I played that Dactly game. I remember one time I didn't know what was going on because I couldn't control myself right until I realized what was happening. The dactyl had picked me up and was flying me around. I realized this when I saw the ground rapidly approaching my face. weird.
Ok, this sounds kind of familiar - i might have played it as well. Were some of them set up so two people could play and you could shoot at one another. I remember a game like that with a big bird thing that would pick you up fly you around and drop you to your death. That and the "gun" shot this little thing that looked like a bolt.
Old 01-21-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sega had one out around the same time the Saturn was out... I messed around with it at Toys R Us once. It was kinda cool.
Old 01-21-02, 07:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by xmiyux

Ok, this sounds kind of familiar - i might have played it as well. Were some of them set up so two people could play and you could shoot at one another. I remember a game like that with a big bird thing that would pick you up fly you around and drop you to your death. That and the "gun" shot this little thing that looked like a bolt.
I played that game once. Got spanked big time too. All I remember was that it was kind of choppy, a little slow (my first lag encounter), and the cords from the VR helmet got tangled if you turned too much.
Old 01-22-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think ultimately the Star Trek style Holodeck is the ideal, and we'll one day reach that point.

However, I think VR was just too soon. Even now, I don't think you can really deliever something convincing at a reasonable price.

Here's my prediction. The next generation or the one after that of game consoles (and computers) will finally achieve "photo realism". You'll play Madden 2010 and not be able to tell if you're watching a televised football game or playing on your PS4.

At that point, better graphics will stop being a selling point. Once you've achieved something indistingishable from an HDTV broadcast, why buy a better video card? It's at this point you'll see people moving to 3D displays and VR headsets. Hopefully by this time, technology will sufficiently advanced that you won't have to wear a 20lb helmet and be restricted on mobility.