Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Maximo at Blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-02, 04:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maximo at Blockbuster

For all those interested in this game by Capcom, Blockbuster has it for rental now. Its not due to be release for about another 3 weeks.
Old 01-19-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
heeheehee

And did you notice any of the workers wearing a black Maximo shirt? I have been labeled the video game "expert" at my store so I was given the shirt. Two were sent but I claimed the second one.....just because.

zero
Old 01-19-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering what those black Maximo shirts were all about. I just thought the guy was an RPG freak....
Old 01-19-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap man, the Blockbuster by me had at least 20 copies of Maximo yesterday...asked the guy if any were rented yet and he said no...heh. I think I'll wait to buy the game...why waste $6 to rent it when I'm going to buy it. I've heard nothing but good things about this game.
Old 01-20-02, 02:04 PM

All I know is Capcom saved me $45 by putting it out early. At the rate I'm playing, I will have finished it by the end of the rental period. It's fun, some small things are annoying though, but I see no reason to buy it if I can finish it now.
Old 01-20-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Darknight
All I know is Capcom saved me $45 by putting it out early. At the rate I'm playing, I will have finished it by the end of the rental period. It's fun, some small things are annoying though, but I see no reason to buy it if I can finish it now.

Is the game hard? Some of the previews i have read have said the game is quite difficult. I don't want to purchase it if I don't have a good chance of completing it.
Old 01-26-02, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by ten41
Is the game hard? Some of the previews i have read have said the game is quite difficult. I don't want to purchase it if I don't have a good chance of completing it.
Yes, it is. The camera is pretty horrid, often moves to a bad angle so you can't see where to go. The only camera control is to position it behind you. There is no left/right camera rotate. The save system is pretty lame (need 100 coins plus have to find a save point). If you use all your credits you start back at the beginning!! This makes me feel like Capcom is still stuck in the '80s way of designing games.

I really wanted this game to be better than it is, as I'm a big fan of the 2d games, both the arcade and home versions.

Glad I am renting this, because I will not buy it now. I'd be surprised to see reviews higher than 6 for this game.

If you had a choice between this game and Jak and Daxter, Jak is definitely the better (and more fun) choice.
Old 01-28-02, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Originally posted by happypants

Yes, it is. The camera is pretty horrid, often moves to a bad angle so you can't see where to go. The only camera control is to position it behind you. There is no left/right camera rotate. The save system is pretty lame (need 100 coins plus have to find a save point). If you use all your credits you start back at the beginning!! This makes me feel like Capcom is still stuck in the '80s way of designing games.

I really wanted this game to be better than it is, as I'm a big fan of the 2d games, both the arcade and home versions.

Glad I am renting this, because I will not buy it now. I'd be surprised to see reviews higher than 6 for this game.

If you had a choice between this game and Jak and Daxter, Jak is definitely the better (and more fun) choice.
PSM gave it a nine (same as J&D). They rave about the camera (which they say is better than J&D). Now I hear this and wonder what they were smoking. I hate limiting saves like that. Nobody wants to restart a game from the beginning. I might rent it, but I'll pass on a purchase.
Old 01-28-02, 12:18 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, one of the main problems with games today is that you always have unlimited saves, and can usually save whereever you want. This makes games too short and easy. Here's a comment on this save/continue system from the EGM review. "Not to mention the best continue and save system I've seen in a long time." A couple of the reviewers do gripe a little about the camera though, but nothing major like the gripes they have about the camera in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the Gamecube.

Maximo sounds like it harkens back to the NES/SNES/Genesis days when games where actually challenging. It also sounds like it is a more linear game, i.e. hack your way through a level of tough as guys and hard jumps and fight a boss, rather than the bland, wander around looking for crap and trying to figure out where to go next gameplay that plagues todays games.

Anyway EGM more or less echoed my sentiments on this in their review and article and the three reviewers game it: 9.0, 8.5 and 8.0 all out of 10.

So I guess this is more a game for us old timers that grew up on games like Super Ghouls and Ghosts than it is for the younger crowd, or those that like open-ended save anywhere type games. I like my games, hard and linear. I despise running around wasting time trying to figure out where to go next. I'm dying to play this game, but unfortunately I can't afford a PS2 right now. On a postive note, the EGM article makes it sound likely that Maximo will be ported to the Gamecube and maybe X-box.