Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How was THE CURSE OF THE JADE SCORPION?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts about Woody Allen's latest: THE CURSE OF THE JADE SCORPION. I missed in theatres but heard pretty good things about it. Are there any early reviews of the DVD coming out on the 29th of this month?
Old 01-19-02, 11:12 AM

Personally, I thought it was Woody Allen's least interesting film that I've seen. Some of the performances are good, some aren't. While Helen Hunt is a terrific actress, I felt she really didn't have any chemistry with Woody Allen - she didn't seem to have the particular comedic timing the film was looking for, either.

It might make for an okay rental, but it's not something I'd recommend a purchase of. It's also priced higher than most Dreamworks DVDs at $32.98.
Old 01-19-02, 10:12 PM

I thought this movie was surprisingly well done. Woody Allen was funny and clever and Helen Hunt, Charlize Theron, and Elizabeth Berkley were also really good in the film. I think this movie was way underated at the box office.
Old 01-20-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-02, 11:42 PM

It really wasn't that great.

I had been looking forward to this movie and was seriously let down. The best part of the film was the jazz score, especially that piece that plays during the robberies.

And as DVDRules1 said, the disc is going to be barebones like all of Allen's films, and probably more expensive than it's worth.
Old 01-22-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks again. I think I'll pass on this one.
Old 01-22-02, 09:32 PM

I thought it was great. It had some great production design and character acting. Obviously it was another of Allen's "fun" movies like "Small Time Crooks", and it puts a fun little spin on the detective genre. I liked it a lot.
Old 02-10-02, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally can't understand the bad reviews of this film, Its a great film.
Woody Allen is hilarious, and the performances by the rest of the cast are fantastic.
The story is interesting, I have enjoyed this several times.

The DVD is "bare bones" but worth having. I guess as a former laserdisc collector I still think $30 for a perfect version of a film is a good deal.
Old 02-10-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rented this last night, and knew about the reviews going in.. you know what, **** those critics, this movie is absolutely HILARIOUS... really. Allen is back to his quick witted self, with great one liners and some goofy bits, but great wit.

I love Allen...and this is one of my favourites now, really, a terrific movie. I went out and bought this baby today... well worth your time and money. DO NOT PASS THIS UP!!!!

MATT

Madagascar!
Old 02-10-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woddy Allen, still trying to play the same old character....You'd be better off watching Annie Hall or Manhattan....
Old 02-10-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another fan of this film, cool. Maybe this thread will inspire a few people to take a chance on it and think for themselves,like you said @#$% the critics!
Old 02-10-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've changed my mind. I will pick this title up after all. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-11-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like Woody, but a little of him goes a long way for me.

This film had a few moments, but he is getting a little long in the tooth to play anything but a senior citizen. In this film, his turn as a womanizer was more than a little stretch.

I am also no fan of Helen Hunt.

Aside from some traditional "Woodyisms", the best thing about the film was the homage to the vernacular and style of the 40's-50's with some of the costumes and "tough-guy" speak from both the male and female characters. Reminiscent of Bogie.

Not a bad film, but not worth a rewatch, IMO. I would rather watch a vintage Allen film.
Old 02-11-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Glenn Glass
This film had a few moments, but he is getting a little long in the tooth to play anything but a senior citizen. In this film, his turn as a womanizer was more than a little stretch.

This is the same problem I have with his recent stuff. It was a bit of a stretch when he was in his 40's. Now it borders on ridiculous...............