Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Gone in 60 Seconds(Nicolas Cage remake)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-02, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
Old 01-19-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Coincidentally, I just watched this movie last night as part of a double feature with the original 1974 one. To be honest, and this is coming from a Jerry Bruckheimer fan, this movie is pretty poor compared to the other brainless action movies of his. Despite the fact that it boasts *three* Academy Award winners, two (Jolie and Duvall) are totally wasted and Cage is close to sleepwalking throughout. Even the *one* major car chase is subpar (especially when compared to say Ronin, Bullitt, or the original GI60S) I would say the plot more or less gets in the way, you want to see cars, not the whiny brother bonding crap. The movie aside, the DVD isn't too shabby, with some short featurettes, music video and interview with Bruckheimer. I'd say go with the original unless this one is really cheap.
Old 01-19-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As bad as I thought it was, I was still watching it toward the end. Then some incredible, unbelievable #$%@ occured and I got up and went to bed.

Spoiler:
when he jumped over a bridge of traffic

If you really want to check it out try to borrow it if possible otherwise just rent it. The only reason it's on my shelf is because wifey liked it.
Old 01-19-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I LOVED IT!!!!!

It sure was not meant to be SAVING PRIVATE RYAN but it does have its share of eye-satisfaction(awesome cars)!!!

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION, so dont bother trying to rebuke me!
Old 01-19-02, 03:46 PM
Banned

I hate this movie with a passion. Bruckheimer does it again. Avoid at all costs.
Old 01-19-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re

I don't hate this movie. I love films where you can just sit back and watch a movie for what it is worth. A movie where you can get up for 10 minutes and not pause it because you wont miss a thing. Now, this movie, its got some action, and some drama. And I didn't like the over the top action, I liked the parts where the were stealing cars, that was WAY entertaing. I bought the dvd the day it came out for about 14.99 and watch it every once and a while. Good flick. Rent it, and you'll probably end up buying it.
Old 01-20-02, 04:21 AM

The film wasn't as good as many people(I mean fans of the original) thought it would be. I, myself, liked the film. I watch it over and over again, I really like the music and the funny one-liners. Its a good popcorn film, like Con-Air. Most car guys like this film (many won't admit it though). The DVD extras are good, better than the extras promised on The Fast & The Furious
Old 01-20-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was a good movie. Not quite up there with F&F since I am an import maniac, but still very entertaining, IMO!
Old 01-30-02, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by SS-Rodriguez
Most car guys like this film (many won't admit it though).
I'm a car guy and I'll admit it... . Of course, in my case it certainly dosen't hurt that Eleanor is a Shelby clone...