Reload this Page >

I Just Dont Understand Nintendo's Business Policy

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-18-02, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK after a few years of being out of the video game world, i decided with all the next generation consoles that are out to jump back in. So, i decided to go with the gamecube because i always enjoyed nintendo games. I decided to call a few stores to see if they had it in stock. Store 1....none.....store 2....none...store 10 none...store 30..none....well you get the point. So with nowhere else to turn i purchased one i ebay. I dont mind buying stuff on ebay but, you have to worry about it even showing up, or showing up damaged,etc. Then i went and purchased madden 2002 & star wars....2 great games. Then i go and rent super smash brothers melee..another great game, i decide to go buy it today..and guess what, i am in the same position i was when i tried to purchase the cube. No stores in my area have it. I just dont understand what nintendo is doing? Why is everthing so hard to find? Im sure im not the only person going through this. Its getting to the point where i am thinking about just selling my gamecube and getting an ps2 or xbox just so i can find what i want in the stores.
Old 01-18-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Must be where you live. No problems finding all 3 systems and games/accesories around where I live.
Old 01-18-02, 09:12 PM

Where I live they are not that hard to find, but at first everything was difficult to find. I know that a lot of people have been talking about a shortage.
Old 01-18-02, 09:13 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

there's lots of it availible every where. just look a little harder, eh?
Old 01-18-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No offense man but you must live in Sucksville. From your Ballbuster thread and now this I really feel for you. I was just my local walmart and they had three GC and plenty of games and accessories. You should raise hell at your next town meeting or something.
Old 01-18-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You called 30 stores and couldnt find one? Where are you?
Old 01-19-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: I Just Dont Understand Nintendo's Business Policy

Originally posted by video gamer
Store 1....none.....store 2....none...store 10 none...store 30..none....well you get the point.
Where were you looking, Radio Shack? I don't think that their too rare.

Anywho, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the games. It was definatly worth the look.

By the way, DON'T sell your GameCube; you'll regret it when next fall rolls around.
Old 01-19-02, 11:04 AM
Retired

I live in WV, not exactly a video game mecca, and pretty much everywhere has the GC, controllers, mem cards and games in stock. I'm sure you could order SSB:M online from one of the various game stores.

On a related note, I expect we will see some shortages of Gamecubes in Feb. and March as the U.S. will only be getting about 50,000 systems each of those 2 months as most consoles will be going to Europe for the European launch. It makes good sense because there are not really any big, system seller games coming out until April (when U.S. shipments will increase to normal sizes) and most people who wanted a Gamecube for the games that are already out have already bought one. In other words, it's unlikely that they'll sell more than 50,000 consoles in the U.S. in Feb or March anyway, and they should have plenty of consoles out over here in April when Eternal Darkness and Star Fox come out and sell more systems.
Old 01-19-02, 03:32 PM

Matt Cassamassina from IGN also said (in the same editorial that he gave the 50,000 GCs per month figure) that SSBM will be rare for quite some time. I don't see why they'd do that, though. Games aren't difficult to produce.
Old 01-23-02, 01:14 AM

I was actually wondering the same thing. I am having a hard time finding GC accessories and games. Can't find a spice colored controller anywhere. I also noticed that I am seeing the X-Box everywhere, but not the GC. I hope that Nintendo gets their act together.
Old 01-23-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by maninthebox
I was actually wondering the same thing. I am having a hard time finding GC accessories and games. Can't find a spice colored controller anywhere. I also noticed that I am seeing the X-Box everywhere, but not the GC. I hope that Nintendo gets their act together.
I was looking for a spice controller too. Found one at k-mart, they had a few burried deep in the display.
Old 01-23-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was looking for a spice controller too. Found one at k-mart, they had a few burried deep in the display.
I have often found Kmart to be a spot of last resort for popular items. Seems Kmart's inefficient store designs, lack of customers, etc can sometimes work to our advantage.
Old 01-24-02, 12:25 AM

Thanks mm & sniper, I'll have to check out the local Big K tomorrow.
Old 01-24-02, 10:59 AM
Retired

Hurry if you're going to check Kmart as they won't be getting any more shipments from Nintendo for a good while. According to this article at planetgamecube Kmart owes Nintendo $45 million. They pretty much haven't paid for any of the shipments of GC's, GBAs, and games for the past few months. They did this to Sega a couple years ago (though it didn't involve nearly this much money) and that's why you see very little dreamcast stuff in Kmarts. What little they have is usually third party stuff. I haven't seen a DC console at my local Kmart since this scandal occurred.