Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Any Online Retailers Accepting PAYPAL?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-18-02, 01:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its huge on E*ay, but I never saw an online retailer accepting Paypal.

Anyone know of one that may have slipped past me?
Old 01-18-02, 02:49 PM

You can use your PayPal funds to purchase from almost any DVD store -- use the virtual debit card from the 'send money' page. It gives you a mastercard number that will use funds from your existing paypal balance.
Old 01-18-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most online retailers get better deals on processing credit card transactions directly through the card companies than they would get if they do it through PayPal, and that is the least of the issues. PayPal is not easily integrated into any shopping cart. PayPal is, however, used on many non-eBay sites. I would assume they are only used for small businesses or businesses with only one or two products/services.
Old 01-18-02, 02:52 PM

Well, there are some small retailers -- mailbox books (http://www.rabbitvalley.com) does, and some events (like DragonCon) accept it. But Paypal now has an option called "Spend anywhere." It works like a webcertificate, where you go to the site, and Paypal puts a frame on the screen that gives you a one-time-use creditcard number. So every retailer is now a Paypal retailer, essentially. :-)

--Adam
Old 01-18-02, 04:12 PM

I noticed recently a paypal link at the Digital Eyes site so they may now be accepting paypal directly.
Old 01-18-02, 04:50 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does paypal charge a fee for this virtual debit card service?
Old 01-18-02, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by eau
Does paypal charge a fee for this virtual debit card service?
No.
Old 01-20-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paypal also has a list of etailers on their site that are supposed to take paypal money. I have used several but not all of them have a paypal payment link on their sites (I would have had to email the site about it and how to pay that way which is a hassle so I just ued a cc in that case).

Keep in mind however that a lot of these sites are small time, mom & pop sites, some being duplicated in items for sale which made me pretty skeptical. So far though I have not had one seller fail to mail me my stuff (mostly gourmet coffee beans).

-Gunshy

Old 01-20-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paypal also has a PayPal Debit Mastercard you can sign up for (i think you need to be a PayPal member for 60 days) that will simply debit out of your PayPal account and is sent to you and can be used like a credit card at any B&M or online store like any other credit card! There is no charge for this either! I have one and it great to get instant use of the funds at any store I want to use it at!
Old 01-21-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find anything about a virtual debit card or "spend anywhere" in my PayPal account. Do you need a special account to do this or something?
Old 01-21-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you log into your PayPal account there should be a picture of a Credit Card and a caption saying something about a PayPal debit card. I can't see it myself as I already have it so they don't show the offer to me.

It's not a virtual debit card but in fact an actual debit card that is a Mastercard debit card that is sent to you to use as you would a regular credit card except it debits you PayPal account.

Here's link to Debit Card info/sign up. http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr..._intro-outside

Last edited by Frank S; 01-21-02 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-21-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like it's only available to US customers. Thanks anyways.