Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SSX Tricky help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 10:46 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SSX Tricky help

Okay.. so I rented this game.. Very cool music, decent graphics and what seemed like a fun concept.

I spent the first day doing the tutorial to learn the moves/tricks.

Then I went on to the World Circuit and started at the first mountain.

Took me a couple times to pass the first, but got a bronze. Then on the second, another bronze after a few tries.
Then the god awful 3rd mountain, Elysium Alps. I gave up, and went back to the first. Scored a Gold. Still could only get a bronze on the second.

The third I have no clue. You have to get tons of points, 75000, to get a bronze. That combined with the fact that they don't give you anywhere near the time you need. I cannot pass it.

I either get lots of points, and then don't make it to the 3rd checkpoint. Or I make it to the third checkpoint, still have lots of tricks to pull off and then don't make it to the finish line.

I was going to buy the game if I got a good deal on it, but that 3rd mountian ruined it for me. I spent the last 3 days of my rental trying to pass it.
Old 01-14-02, 10:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just got through renting this game myself, played it long enough to unlock all of the courses with Eddie. I agree that the Elypsium Alps course is pretty tough for a third course...largely because of the time limit (it's the only course I ever consistantly ran out of time on).

Because of the twists and turns there are very few places to get really good air, which makes scoring high tough. One approach is to ride the rails as much as possible, fill up your meter and do uber tricks.

How many medals do you have in race mode? You might want to run some races in that mode to unlock better boards and upgrade your character a bit. That'll make pulling off the better tricks easier when you return to the Alps.
Old 01-14-02, 11:25 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That might be a thought. I went right to showoff mode and passed the racing.

Maybe I'll give it another rent or wait till I find a really good deal on it to pick it up again.
Old 01-14-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Vryce
That might be a thought. I went right to showoff mode and passed the racing.

Maybe I'll give it another rent or wait till I find a really good deal on it to pick it up again.
i did this as well. i bought this for my gamecube, and ave been playing the showoff mode. i did the race mode for a while, then got frustrated and went back to showoff mode.

i have put lots of hours into this game and it still intrests me. i really like pulling those swilly tricks....
Old 01-14-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The trick to Elysium Alps, and pretty much all of the courses in SSX: Tricky, is to find the short cuts. I usually have about 1-2 minutes remaining when I go through the shortcuts. Look for the shortcut to the left just after the 3 humps (with the crowds on both sides) and before you go into the tunnel (it's right after the second checkpoint (I think) ). This is where all of the 5X or 3X multipliers are as well. It gives you lots of chances to get big airs. I beat it fairly quickly, but I also bought the first SSX
Old 01-14-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lampei
The trick to Elysium Alps, and pretty much all of the courses in SSX: Tricky, is to find the short cuts. I usually have about 1-2 minutes remaining when I go through the shortcuts. Look for the shortcut to the left just after the 3 humps (with the crowds on both sides) and before you go into the tunnel (it's right after the second checkpoint (I think) ). This is where all of the 5X or 3X multipliers are as well. It gives you lots of chances to get big airs. I beat it fairly quickly, but I also bought the first SSX
there is a shortcut after the tunnel too, if you stay left and have enough speed to jump over the wall, onto the less icy part.
Old 01-14-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, but the way I mentioned makes it very simple to get to. Just go through the trees and drop off the end (do an Uber trick along the way )And as long as you can jump over the cliffs on each section, the level can be beaten fairly quickly.

Last edited by Lampei; 01-14-02 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-14-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

fall off what cliff? before the tunnel? or after?
Old 01-14-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the first half of this level, after you have gone about halfway through, and gone past the wall of billboards, you will come to 3 humps (before the tunnel). To the left of the tunnel is an SSX glass sign. Break through that and go between the narrow opening. In front of you, you'll see another SSX glass sign and trees. Go through the sign and between all the trees and you'll come to a big drop. Jump off that. When you land, you'll drop onto the upper section of the course. If you go all the way to the end of this, you will drop out right before the 3rd checkpoint.
Old 01-14-02, 06:01 PM

The key to the showoff mode is getting the multipliers + uber tricks. I recommend doing recon a few times down the course so you can get familiar with where the good multipliers are. Also, learn how to do the "special" uber trick for the character you are using... it gives about 5000 more points. If i remember correctly, a special uber gets you 30,000 points... combine that with a 5X multiplier and you will easily beat the level. When your character is good enough, try to link 2 uber tricks for extra high scores.

That technique i just gave you is especially important for the Alaska level later on... its freakin hard!
Old 01-14-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bbox
That technique i just gave you is especially important for the Alaska level later on... its freakin hard!
Holy Crap! Hard is an understatement I was ready to break my controller from frustration until I finally figured out what to do to beat it. I still don't think I found all of the secrets
Old 01-14-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, one of the beauties about the SSX series is a beautifully sloped learning curve. If it seems hard, just try another character and keep playing. Keep in mind that every glass SSX sign points to a shortcut, but that several shortcuts are unmarked. Figure out how to do an Uber trick through a 5x snowflakes and you've beat most freestyle levels.

Myself, I hadn't played SSX for over a year, but was able to max out Psymon in a weekend of play. It's like riding a bicycle: Just keep practicing, and once you've got it, you won't forget.