Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Game recommendation for PS2. Help Needed!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to find a great game for the PS2 that is analogous to Legend of Zelda for Nintendo. I want the game to be more heavily on the side of an action/adventure game than a role playing game. Something that is more of a "quest"-type game like Jak & Daxter is also preferable. Also, something with minimal load times if also preferable. Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-02, 04:07 PM

Try Dark Cloud. Its pretty cool, and its fairly long.
Its not the years, its the mileage
Old 01-17-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I need some info, too. Just picked up a PS II today!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but maybe this bump and advice might help us all out!

Games in mind of course are:

Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Baldur's Gate

Any other recommendations?
Old 01-17-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd been having fun playing Jak and Daxter lately.
Old 01-17-02, 01:22 AM

Jak and Daxter, Grand Theft Auto 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Devil May Cry are my favorites. If the PS2 is your only system, then get some sports games like NHL 2002 and Madden 2002. If you own an XBOX, buy Sports games for that instead since they look and run better. I'm sure the same is applied to a Gamecube on that Sports note but not a 100% on that since I don't own a gamecube any more.

Also save some money for State of Emergency. That should be great.
Old 01-17-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very nice. Thank you for your recommendations! Anyone else?
Old 01-17-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ATV Offroad.

You'll probably be able to this this used by now, and it's super fun!!!!!
Old 01-17-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something that is very long game is Grand Theft Auto 3, one of the funnest games I have ever played.
Old 01-17-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was pleasently suprised with James Bond Agent Under Fire. It's actually pretty fun and the multiplayer is incredibe. NCAA Football 2002 and NHL 2002 are great. However, I think the PS2 game that's gotten the most play for me is Ace Combat 4:Shattered Skies. It's an amazing game. Incredibly graphics, music and gameplay. Definately check it out if you have an interest in a combat flight sim.
Old 01-17-02, 02:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dfbennett
I was pleasently suprised with James Bond Agent Under Fire. It's actually pretty fun and the multiplayer is incredibe. NCAA Football 2002 and NHL 2002 are great. However, I think the PS2 game that's gotten the most play for me is Ace Combat 4:Shattered Skies. It's an amazing game. Incredibly graphics, music and gameplay. Definately check it out if you have an interest in a combat flight sim.
WORD on NCAA Football 2002. It's the reason I bought my PS2, and it hasn't disappointed in the LEAST. Yesterday, I was playing my #3 Texas A&M Aggies vs. the #2 Oklahoma Sooners, in Oklahoma. Tough matchup. They jump out to a 21-0 lead... I work my way back up throughout the game, and with about 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter, it's 34-28, Oklahoma, and I'm on the fifty, with one time out. I throw a few incomplete passes, and all of a sudden, it's 4th and 10, with about 12 seconds left. Crap. Time for the Hail Mary. Luckily, both my QB and the receiver I'm going to throw to are in the running for the Heisman... quality athletes. QB steps back, sees that the receiver is getting separation... heaves it up there... and it's CAUGHT, on the 5 yard line! With one second left! I call a time out... choose a TE out pattern, with receivers running outs on both sides. The question is... to the TE, or the WR? I figure, the WR. Step back, watch my WR make his cut, and toss it out to him... TOUCHDOWN! AGGIES SCORE, with 0:00 on the clock! I kick the extra point, and that's that... Ags win, 35-34, in Oklahoma! I was flipping out.

I'm looking forward to trying AC4, too.

Fire bad!
Old 01-17-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, if only that was really true of our Aggies.

Jak & Daxter is really fun. Final Fantasy X is great, but it has lots of cutscenes. It's still worth it though.
Old 01-17-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Static Cling,
AC 4 is excellent. I'm playing through it now for the 4th time trying to get enough money to buy all the planes/weapons. Very addictive. The multiplayer is pretty fun too. I hope AC 5 has online play. Online dog fights would rule.
Old 01-17-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, all! Just picked up GT 3 and Jak. Anyone have any input on Dark Cloud and Twisted Metal: Black?

BTW, AC4 sounds like the next game to grab....
Old 01-17-02, 06:24 PM

I've got both Dark Cloud and Twisted Metal Black.

Dark Cloud is kinda Kiddy, your better off with FFX.
It is refreshinly difrent tho.

Twisted Metal Black is probobly the coolest sequal going, next to SSX Tricky.

AWESOME levels and screens. Nice weapons and driving. All around a sound game.
Best part is the Asylum cutsceens. Very nice, very nice.

And with credits and opening set to Rolling Stones: "Paint it Black" you CANT go wrong.

But for PS2 I HIGHLY recomend:
DOA2: Hardcore (I have both DC and PS2 and XBOX DOA games, DOA2: Hardcore is the best out of all)
Metal Gear is good, but a let down plot wise.
I'm also totaly Adicted to Extreme G 3. Best super speed game out there. Eat your heart out Pod Racer. You reach INSANE speeds in XG3, so fast your head can't even keep up. (god only knows the frame rate)
Old 01-18-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the advice, BrinStar! I picked up Twisted Metal Black and Dark Cloud (good prices pre-played at BBV)!
Old 01-18-02, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by victant
Just picked up GT 3 ....
Great choice. GT3 is a game that I can go back to over and over without repeating the same old stuff. I really enjoy the tweaking to shave a few seconds off lap times to keep winning. You will enjoy that a lot.
Old 01-18-02, 02:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BigDave
Mike, if only that was really true of our Aggies.
I'm playing in the third year in dynasty mode right now... you would've loved how I did last year. Worked my way up all season... by the time I got to the t.u. game, I was #1. Surprise, surprise... I lost against #5 t.u. And I thought to myself, "Wow, this game is so realistic!"
Originally posted by victant
Thanks, all! Just picked up GT 3 and Jak. Anyone have any input on Dark Cloud and Twisted Metal: Black?

BTW, AC4 sounds like the next game to grab....
I rented TM:B, and beat the game on about half the characters in one weekend. "Paint It Black" goes GREAT with the game... the song and the visuals paint a great picture. It is probably the darkest game I've ever played, story-wise. Max Payne is dark, yeah, but it's not depressing, like TM:B is. When I beat Max Payne, I was pretty jazzed. Every time I beat TM:B with a different character, I was like, "Ugh." Props to the writers behind the game for cooking up a good story for each of the many characters, but it was just depressing. The actual gameplay is really fun, though. I was satisfied with it as a rental, though.

I wish MY BBV did PPV games... *sniff*

Fire bad!
Old 01-19-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jak and Daxter's a fun little game.
Twisted Metal: Black, very addicting.
Dark Cloud --->insanely addicting, even though it's an older title.

I'm gonna try GT3 tomorrow.

Thanks, all, for the great recommendations so far!