Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Beware of BigCD.com...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-02, 02:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of BigCD.com...

they will cancel you order if they feel you are getting a good deal even if you've already placed your order. I ordered 4 different video game accesories and this was the e-mail I received. All the items were good bargains but not pricing errors.

>From: [email protected]
>To:
>Subject: Re: order
>Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:57:37 -0500
>
>Yeah I had to cancel the orders those prices are totally wrong... The store
>is closed now until I update everything. I'm sorry for the inconveinience
>but I can't lose any money.
>
>
>______________
>
>http://www.bigcd.com
>
>DVD, Videos, Games and Music Discounted always everyday!
>
>______________
>
>
>http://www.conquertheworld.com
>
>Conquer The World Records (Indie Record Label)
>
>______________
>
>http://www.mp3.com/capturetheflag
>
>Capture The Flag Mp3s (The Labels priority band right now)
>

Last edited by bubbleboy; 01-11-02 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-11-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And their games are expensive. I can get the stuff cheaper at BB or circuit city. Oh thanks for the tip bubbleboy.
Old 01-11-02, 03:29 PM
Cool New Member

All there prices were actually very good until recentlly. Anybody else have expreience with this site?
Old 01-11-02, 03:37 PM

Not a very profesional sounding email.

Last edited by Cyberock; 01-13-02 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-11-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I placed an order with BigCD for Dark Days the other day. Still no word yet. I tried checking order status which is a joke really.
Old 01-11-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the way, stop over at the Store Forum. BigCD is a one-man operation - his name is Mike - he is a DVDTalker. He usually responds to any questions anyone has about BigCD.com in that forum.
Old 01-12-02, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Pricing etc... business model and your a meanie.

Hello this is Mike from BigCD as it states as my member name. I need to apologize for cancelling those but my pricing script was formulating incorrectly which is why I closed the store and updated them appropriately.

I cannot sell products below my cost and those Xbox controllers you ordered were well lower my cost. My store files are built by access scripts and I have a guy who helps me out because I have no idea how to write VB or do complex database manipulations. Sometimes he sends me files and everything is not exactly right but I don't notice it right away. I don't pay him so I can't exactly yell at him. He's been a lifesaver actually and I'm going to repay him someday, perhaps when my band is signed to a major record deal and were all over the radio. I'll prolly sell bigcd.com then anyways, because I will be on tour. I just need the store to keep me busy until we get signed, which is pretty inevitable actually. Back to the store now...

I have been experimenting with price markups and I will continue to until I find a model that works best. I of course do want to provide deals and what not for customers however the bottom line is the site needs to have a profitable business model. I need to make some money to pay my bills and survive personally and to provide means to grow as a business. I need to find prices that people really like that I can still make $1-2 per DVD and so customers will return.

Consumers do not realize that an Xbox game costs sum $45 wholsale so plus my handling and shipping and card transaction fees my charges are like $48 so if I am selling it for $50 I make $2 profit. DVDS as well I can only make a few dollars if I am lucky. Actually I think consumers need to be aware of ACTUALLY how much a DVD costs I for one hope the market becomes more stable because the retail compared to actual price of a DVD and it's margin it's a complete joke from a business standpoint.

So yeah if you want to call me and complain about me being unprofessional and not going to college I'll be happy to answer the phone if I am home.
Old 01-13-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Pricing etc... business model and your a meanie.

Originally posted by Mike BigCD
So yeah if you want to call me and complain about me being unprofessional and not going to college I'll be happy to answer the phone if I am home.
I would just like to point out that being professional and college education really aren't related to each other. I Managed a videogame store at 17 years old while still in High School, and I was professional about it. I know plenty of people who haven't gone to college and are "professionals". Sorry to pick on it, but I just feel that was a pointless statement. If you want to cancel orders and such, then fine, you have your reasons. Sure the email could have been a little better written, but big deal. You defended your actions, no need to make yourself sound like a bumbling dumb clod because you didn't go to college...