Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to that band, Metallica?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, the hypocritical metal band that claimed to be for the fans, promoted bootlegs of their concerts, etc, who then turned around and filed a lawsuit against Napster and had their own fans blocked from the service. I haven't heard much from them since the little rat looking one got booked at the MTV awards.
Old 01-10-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
The bassist quit and the singer entered rehab. It was a busy 2001.
Old 01-10-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Huh.

I find it funny that they essentially commited career suicide in the name of making a few more $mil. I haven't heard from them for what seems like over a year, now.
Old 01-10-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shaun3000
Huh.

I find it funny that they essentially commited career suicide in the name of making a few more $mil. I haven't heard from them for what seems like over a year, now.
Seriously, the only news they made last year was Jason giving his notice ( http://www.metallica.com/metdotcom/news/2001/jan17.html ) and James' rehab stints (latest update: http://www.metallica.com/metdotcom/n...es_update.html )
Old 01-10-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

lol, I believe you. But thanks for the links

BTW, you replied to my thread in less than a minute! Kinda threw me off guard--I thought I had passed out or something. haha Is that a new forum record?
Old 01-10-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if they do bring out another album, it might flop since so crazy Lars was about Napster.
Old 01-10-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're supposed to have an album coming out this year. Jason Newstead's departure is no big deal, he was a replacement himself.

I get tired of everyone ripping on them about the Napster thing. There were so many artists (Dr. Dre, Don Henley...) from so many genres who spoke out or went and testified before Congress about that, but only Metallica drew people's attention. Whether you like it or not, piracy is illegal. And the claim that most people who download lots of music also buy lots of music is bogus. I know people who haven't bought a single CD in years now because they just burn their own. That is costing the artist's money and they have every right to complain about it.
Old 01-10-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speaking out is one thing. Taking matters into your own hands and getting your your own FANS banned is quite another.
Old 01-10-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is the singer in rehab?
Old 01-10-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Applejack
Why is the singer in rehab?
He took the old ALCOHOLICA t-shirt too literally.
Old 01-10-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Any news/rumors as to who will/might replace Jason?
Old 01-10-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What ever happened to that band, Metallica?

Originally posted by shaun3000
You know, the hypocritical metal band that claimed to be for the fans, promoted bootlegs of their concerts, etc, who then turned around and filed a lawsuit against Napster and had their own fans blocked from the service. I haven't heard much from them since the little rat looking one got booked at the MTV awards.
Hypocritical ? Hmmmm.....
Old 01-10-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
Bassist died, and it's been all downhill from there...
Old 01-10-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Metallica and look forward to their new stuff. This is one of those cases where their fans took things too far, IMHO.
Old 01-10-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica does have good music, I agree. But I lost respect for them after the whole Napster fiasco.
Old 01-10-02, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mafia81RCV
They're supposed to have an album coming out this year. Jason Newstead's departure is no big deal, he was a replacement himself.

I get tired of everyone ripping on them about the Napster thing. There were so many artists (Dr. Dre, Don Henley...) from so many genres who spoke out or went and testified before Congress about that, but only Metallica drew people's attention. Whether you like it or not, piracy is illegal. And the claim that most people who download lots of music also buy lots of music is bogus. I know people who haven't bought a single CD in years now because they just burn their own. That is costing the artist's money and they have every right to complain about it.
FU**IN A!!! i couldnt have said it better myself!! every1 gets pissed at METALLICA because they are an expandable band who for the most part the ppl who were complaining werent loyal fans like every single mother fu**er who is at their sold out shows! that LOYALTY! and i go to everys how that comes my way! metallica has been my favorite band ever since birth, and pry will be til death! no TRUE fan of metallica turned against them, only ppl who wanted free music, which dont get me wrong, i love free music, i have morpheous, ,but u all bitched and moaned over NAPSTER was really bad!!
anyway: metallica has been in the studio recording an album to be released later this year, took a lil detour for JAMES'S alcoholism, but he is better, so they r back to work, ,they still need a new bassist, cuz jason lied to all metallicas fans and said he wa sleaving becuz he wanted to spend more time w/ his family, and instead formed another band, ,y he would leave the most powerful metal band EVER is still a mystery to me! but it is serious NO BASSIST COULD EVER REPLACE CLIFF BURTON!! but jason did a hell of a job while it lasted, i just hope the new bassist is awesome, but i doubt metallica would settle for anything less!
Old 01-10-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
The reason Metallica are nailed so much over the Napster thing is that Lars was such a prick about it. What a pathetic little crybaby whiner.

And coming from a band that released a concert video made up entirely of fan shot bootleg footage, it was just a little too much BS for a lot of people.
Old 01-10-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jason
The reason Metallica are nailed so much over the Napster thing is that Lars was such a prick about it. What a pathetic little crybaby whiner.

And coming from a band that released a concert video made up entirely of fan shot bootleg footage, it was just a little too much BS for a lot of people.
Exactly.

People say that they sold out because of their change in music style. You could make a better argument that them taking such a strong stance against Napster was when they really "sold out", considering that tape trading and bootlegging was a very big reason for their popularity.

I guess that when they needed the publicity and word of mouth, bootlegging their material didn't compromise their art.
Old 01-11-02, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally posted by RaMMaR
Any news/rumors as to who will/might replace Jason?
I haven't heard a word.

IF they come back (yes, I have my doubts) I would not be surprised to see them as a three piece. Rather than actually replace Jason, they'll just use freelance bassists for the studio and touring.

Did anyone read the Playboy interview last year? Mighty uncomfortable read, that.
Old 01-11-02, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally posted by Jason

Another thing is that, Metallica, moreso than any other successful band, got where they are by tape-trading and word-of-mouth rather than airplay or record company promotion.

Back before they even had a record deal, their demo tape was highly traded from coast-to-coast, often by mail. And even after they had been signed, their fans were still the best promotion. Trust me, back in 1985, you didn't see Metallica on MTV or hear them on the radio. Someone either let you borrow one of their albums or taped it off for you. They very much got where they are by the promotion of their enthusiastic fans and tape trading. That's what rubs a lot of people the wrong way about their reaction to Napster.
Old 01-11-02, 08:09 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It turns out they were really the band Pop Will Eat Itself. And they finally did.
Old 01-11-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
I wouldn't be surpiised to see Mike Starr or Mike Inez fill in on bass...
Old 01-11-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I never realized that Metallica had gained so much of their popularity from tape trading and the like. That makes my intense dislike of them even more intense, and I was never even a fan.

But to me, even if their actions weren't a stab in the back to the fans, it's the fact that rather than accept the fact that there was new technology changing the face of music distribution and they acted like a bunch of horse riding luddites.

The big thing for me about Napster was never the "free-ness" of it, but the variety. The way I could pick and choose greatest hits instead of buying an album with one cool song and the rest filler crap. And the rare stuff and remixes. I love remixes, and I don't know where else you could find most of this stuff.

Several companies are coming out with music programs, but only limited selections from only their own catalogs. You can only stream some of them, and you can't make CDs of any them. Sorry, but I don't listen to most of music at my computer.

Sorry to get OT, but this is the first thing I think of when I hear the name Metallica.
Old 01-11-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When Lars was gung-ho about Napster, he did not come to my house and alter my Metallica CDs to change the music, rewrite lyrics, or insert belching noises over the choruses.

Master of Puppets, Metallica, Garage Inc, etc... are still the same CDs, still the same music, and still kick ass when listening in the car.

Don't let outside BS change the music for you.

It's about the music. It's still there, nobody changed anything.
Old 01-12-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree, GuessWho. It won't stop me from listening to their old stuff. If I've paid for it, why not listen to it? But I DAMN sure ain't spending my money on anything new of theirs they try to sell me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.