Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about DeepDiscountdvd.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-02, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, how reliable are they? Second, do they generally get the DVDs to you within a day or two of release?

One of my pet peeves is ordering a title online and a week after release I still don't have it. I can't stand to see a major title sit on the shelf staring at me while I await my copy's arrival. I feel stupid then because while I might have saved a few bucks, I can't watch what I don't have.

Badgun
Old 01-09-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are VERY reliable and often send things before the release date (sometimes 1-2 weeks before), BUT...

if you choose the free shipping option, they send things via media mail which can take a long time to arrive. I certainly don't mind waiting a while for free shipping, since I still have some pretty sizable stacks of titles to work through. But if you are as concerned about arrival times as you sound, you should probably upgrade the shipping method.
Old 01-09-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've ordered from DDD several times and I've found them to be very good. I would agree with the previous poster that if you are in a hurry, you need to go ahead and pay for shipping. However, even with media mail, I've been able to get certain titles in just a few days.
Old 01-10-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had tremendous success with these guys and their customer service is top notch as well!
Old 01-10-02, 01:59 AM

Excellent company. And yes, Media Mail can take up to a month and there's nothing you can do about it after it's in the USPS's hands. So, upgrade to priority if you aren't willing to wait a month.
Old 01-10-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, back in mid-December I pre-ordered QUEER AS FOLK which was released on Jan 8th - it still has not shipped, and customer service said it may not ship until January 19th!!!
Not acceptable! I've had good experiences with them in the past, but this was my first pre-order with DDD - and will probably be my last!
Old 01-10-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I'd be careful. The last 2 discs I received from them had broken spindles. Also, my preorder for War of the Roses did not ship until 11 days AFTER the release date (similar problem as marty888 above). My dealings with customer service have been good though.

Just decide what is more important - paying a dollar or two less per disc or prompt delivery.
Old 01-10-02, 10:25 AM

This is a very good deep discount vendor. It is not a premium high priced service. If you lack patience, go to a retailer. Pre-ordering at a low cost online service, and expecting to get your order by release date is expecting too much. Even retailers such as Best Buy do not always have a hot release in stock. Look at how long it took them to get in an adequate supply of U2 Elevation DVD. So in a way, you want a low price online service to provide better service than pricer retail outlets. Be realistic folks. Pay more, or wait.
Old 01-10-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But if you order with free shipping it might take a little while. Sometimes i've gotten the pre-orders on the release date sometimes it may be a week later.

Still though it's an excellent company.
Old 01-10-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888
Well, back in mid-December I pre-ordered QUEER AS FOLK which was released on Jan 8th - it still has not shipped, and customer service said it may not ship until January 19th!!!
Not acceptable! I've had good experiences with them in the past, but this was my first pre-order with DDD - and will probably be my last!
I'm in the same boat. It sucks to have to wait, but DDD's price was a full $20 cheaper than Best Buy's advertised sale price ($69.34 vs BB's $89.99!).

That price, coupled with no shipping OR sales tax-- I think I'll wait a week or two extra!
Old 01-10-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Just like Jadzia said I pre-ordered this title at $69.34 and will be more than happy to wait in order to save nearly $20. (Hey that's another DVD I can buy. )

I originally pre-ordered QAF and it was around $79.00 then I logged on one day and saw that it dropped down to $69.34, called up Customer Service, they cancelled the order and told me to re-order at the lower price. Didn't have any problems at all.

I've ordered about 7 discs now from DDD and they are very fast, usually shipping them before the release date, and I usually receive them either the Friday or Saturday before they are released.

I think many retailers were either short-shipped QAF or there was a VERY HIGH demand for the title with pre-orders and such. I know 800.com had them in stock on 1/8 and by the end of the day they were sold out. Many other sites I have checked are sold out, or never got their initial shipment yet.
Old 01-10-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm I ordered QAF as well. I just checked my order and it still ahsn't mailed. . However, my shipping method says Priority Shipping but the amount is 0.00. I have a terrible memory but I think I ordered it when there was free priority shipping. WOuld it say Media Mail in the shipping method if it were to be sent that way? Also, it seems like the price of my order has been reduced. Do they automatically reduce the price if it takes longer to get in stock or something?? Just curious :-)

Sam
Old 01-11-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by HotThang
Hmm I ordered QAF as well. I just checked my order and it still ahsn't mailed. . However, my shipping method says Priority Shipping but the amount is 0.00. I have a terrible memory but I think I ordered it when there was free priority shipping. WOuld it say Media Mail in the shipping method if it were to be sent that way? Also, it seems like the price of my order has been reduced. Do they automatically reduce the price if it takes longer to get in stock or something?? Just curious :-)

Sam
If this was a new order with no other titles that shipped with the order it will still be listed under "OPEN ORDERS" and show "Priority Shipping" as the method with QAF being the only line item.

If however, you ordered other DVD's when you pre-ordered QAF, those DVD's shipped with priority shipping but QAF will ship standard media mail when it is available. At that point, when your order moves to "Completed" when you click for details the shipping will show "0.00" since it shows the shipping of the last shipment of that order.

That's how my orders have shown up.

I don't think they automatically reduce the price if it takes longer to get in stock. They haven't reduced the price that I originally ordered the set as.
Old 01-11-02, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah ok. I only ordered QAF and this is my first time ordering withthem so wasn't sure of their policy. So from your note I gather it will be priority shipping but it is free? or the cost won't show up until they actually ship it? So confu=zed!

Sam
Old 01-11-02, 06:33 AM

I just ordered my first titles from them (with free shipping), that was four days ago so they should be arriving sometime within the next week.

The prices seem to be some of the best. A few sites beat them with certain Criterion collection titles and rarely anything else.
Old 01-11-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those waiting for QAF - Season One Boxed Set, DDD told me today that they expect them in no later than 1/14/02 (Monday).

-----------
Update: 1/12/02

Today I checked my credit card statement and I have been charged for the title, but I received no confirmation email that it has been shipped, nor does the online order system at DDD say that the title has been shipped. Hmmmmm.....

Anyone else who ordered this title notice a charge to their cards, get an email to confirm shipping, or have a status change in their online order summary?

Last edited by dvd-fanman; 01-12-02 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-13-02, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My milage has varied

I was always a little wary of DeepDiscountDVD (their site looks a lot better now - it used to really appear to be a "fly-by-night" outfit) and so I too turned to DVD message boards to find out about DDD.

Well, the reviews were mostly positive (some EXTREMELY positive) so I decided to order a few discs from them to try them out. I use dvdpricesearch.com to compare the prices of discs, and found a few that were priced cheapest at DDD. So I placed my order.

When I received my first order, it was wrong. They sent me two copies of one disc and didn't send another disc at all. I e-mailed them and asked for a return label, which arrived yesterday.

Because their customer service people were so responsive and professional, I decided to "try them out" on a pre-order - the new Tron SE.

With the Priority Shipping option, I received the disc just four days from when I ordered it (I ordered it on Tuesday afternoon, and it arrived Saturday afternoon). That's not bad - and also before the Tuesday release, which is why I preorder things to begin with, since the prices now aren't really any better between pre-orders and non-pre-orders (but that's another rant).

Anyway, the corner of the case (a double-alpha) was cracked on my Tron: SE. I wanted to watch the movie, and figured I could replace the case, so I opened up the disc. The inside spindle was also broken, and the disc was all scratched up. The packaging that the disc was shipped in is in pristine shape. They must have packed it already damaged. So I called and they said that I could return both discs with the same return label (one disc from each order).

I'm sending the discs back for full credit. I went to my local Walmart and picked up the Tron disc - for a few dollars less.

So I'm zero for two orders placed. DDD has great customer service and on some items their pricing is really good - considering that they include very slow shipping in the pricing.

I've ordered from DVDPlanet.com a bit lately and will likely be ordering from them more often. They have even better customer support, their prices are very good (if not *as* good) and most importantly, they are extremely reliable. I can place an order and pretty much mark my calendar because I can predict when my discs will arrive. And the order is always correct and none of my discs are damaged when they arrive. Not having to send discs back is worth an extra buck or two.

I will not be shopping with DeepDiscountDVD again.

-- Jough
Old 01-13-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The one issue I have had with DD has been packaging. I understand your frustration and disappointment. I had a disc pop off the spindle and they sent me a return label and replacement right away.

I'm not sure why they package so shoddily. It seems like they are losing money by not using bubble wrap, etc. My neighbor has had several discs arrive damaged, but each time they take good care of him.

If DD invested a few dollars in extra padding, they would obviously save money on returns etc. However, I get the feeling that the don't really care if something gets damaged during shipping, because they will always be reimbursed by the supplier for the damaged disc.

Nonetheless, I still think they are the best e-tailer out there...

Last edited by boc4ever; 01-14-02 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-14-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Their packaging is very poor. 2 out of 4 packages sent by them had broken spindles so the discs were scratched up.

When sending 1 DVD, they should really use a smaller package than the 2 DVD box.
Old 01-14-02, 09:21 PM

I just placed an order with them and recieved it 5 days later with the free shipping. There was nothing wrong with the case or the disc.
Old 01-14-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
One order had Antitrust, Requiem for a Dream, and Private Benjamin. Other order had The Matrix Revisited. No problems, excellent deal. Takes a while to get here though, but at that price and them not being new releases, it doesn't matter to me that much.
Old 01-15-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cannot believe these a$$holes.

After ranting on DVDTalk about their poor customer service and how they have charged me for items which I have never received, then refusing to issue me a credit, they have the nerve to e-mail me about it. Do they say "sorry for the inconvenience, we will fix it" or someting to that effect, they say " had you given us the correct address, these problems would have been avoided blah blah..." Too bad I gave them the correct address the entire time (they even wrote it in the e-mail), the same address they have sent a few orders before and after to (extremely late too, I might add). I am so sick of these people. They never give me my damn mone back and they basically yell at me as if I did something wrong. Very unprofessional. I really hate these people with a passion.
Old 01-15-02, 09:51 PM

I got American Pie 2 today with no problems. I have yet to experience this DVD case loose in the box or scratched disc. I've recommended this place to a few friends and will continue business with them. I'm sorry to here a few of you have had bad experiences.
Old 01-17-02, 09:53 AM

Ordered my Tombstone and got my Tombstone at my door on the release date. Kudos to you DeepDiscount... You're okay in my book.
Old 01-17-02, 02:34 PM

I also want to put in a good word about them. I've ordered 30 to 40 disc with them and everything has always been perfect. Even their shipping times have gotten faster. Priority in 2 days and even media mail from 2-6 days (when I first started using them it would be 3 weeks). I've gotten great service and am completely satisfied. I use them before anyone right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.