Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Reminder about Console Bashing - DON'T DO IT!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-07-02, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that I need to post another reminder to this forum area about Console Bashing.

The Video Game Talk forum is open to ALL GAMERS who use ALL PLATFORMS. Platform Bashing simply isn't tolerated here!

If you post things like-

XBOX = Shit Box
Game Cube = CrapCube
PS2 = Piece of Shit 2
PC = Pretty Crappy

YOU WILL GET SUSPENDED.

Also I have absolutely had enough of members attacking other members. I will not tolerate seeing:

People telling other people to 'get a job' because they can't afford broadband, Name Calling (any derogatory name including "fanboy"), Swearing, or Telling other's they are Idiotic!

I hate to have to act like someone parent here, but I've seen a lot of really poor behaviour here in the last week and it's going to stop!

If you'd like a good discussion on these consoles, please go to this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=153453
Old 01-07-02, 04:48 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Geoff, this has been needed for awhile. This is easily the best video game forum I've found, and I'd like it to stay that way. I'll be sure to keep using the "report this post to a moderator" link when I see console and/or personal attacks in this forum.
Old 01-07-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You da man, geoff!
Old 01-07-02, 06:47 PM

I'm really begining to hate that word fanboy. Seems like everyone who likes a system is acussed of being a fanboy and not truthful about the system.
Old 01-07-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Theres a difference between liking a system and claiming a consoles going to meltdown after four hours of use. There has been a recent spurt in immature posting.
Old 01-07-02, 09:42 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Cyberock
I'm really begining to hate that word fanboy. Seems like everyone who likes a system is acussed of being a fanboy and not truthful about the system.

A fanboy isn't someone who simply likes one console. A fanboy is an immature person that feels the need to bash the consoles he/she doesn't own, and those that own them, because they are jealous that they can't afford to owon more than one console. Fanboy's call the X-box the "*****box", say the Gamecube is only for Kids, say (blank) console will melt after 4 hours, says the X-box is just a PC, and so on. They simply troll the forum trying to piss people off. For example there was a thread where a gamer was asking what games he had to look forward to, and an X-box fan boy had to post a dumb ass reply telling him to take his GC back and get an X-box. This type of behavior is immature, and straight from the owner of this site, unacceptable here.

It's fine if you only like one system, I only have the Gamecube, but there' no excuse for making fun people who own other systems or bashing the other systems in general.
Old 01-07-02, 11:10 PM

Well, I was refered to as a fanboy in a forum. Yes, I say how wonderful the XBOX is. I think it's the best comsole out there and yes, it is my opinion. Does that make me a fanboy since I think the XBOX is superior over the gamecube and the PS2. By the way, did I mention that I also own the PS2 with about 20 games and the gamecube with 6 games. I guess I'm not jealous of the other systems since I was able to afford to buy them so they can collect dust.
Old 01-07-02, 11:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Cyberrock, you aren't a fan boy you are a lucky boy.
Old 01-07-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have only the Xbox and I've been enjoying the six games I have for it. Like every other console that's been released to date, it will and does have it's fair share of lackluster titles. There's no way around that.

What I will never do, is go into a thread where the title CLEARLY has the words "Gamecube problems" or "PS2 problems" and start talking about them like I own either one. I mean, how valid would my statements be?

Sad to say, this behavior occurs here in these forums when I originally thought they occured only at other gaming websites.
Old 01-08-02, 07:30 AM

Well here's how I see all the systems out there.

Xbox- I recently purchased this console. I am happy with it have not had any problems with it. Remarkably I have played it longer than 4 hours with no problems. Last night played a co-op of Halo w/a friend on legendary and we got our a$$'s kicked.

PS2- I see many games on this system that look excellent. Like the GTA3 and Metal Gear Solid, also FFX. I'd like to play these games but I don't have this system.

Gamecube- I was not interested in purchasing this console. I feel that the games being made for the gamecube are not to my liking.

PC- I have been a computer geek since the c64 came out. I had just about every game for the c64. Then the Amiga came out and blew my c64 away. But I digress, I love my computer and love the games that come out for it. So I am going to keep spending my money on my computer also.

I don't feel that one system is better than another. It all depends on what you like. Who cares what anyone else says.
Old 01-08-02, 10:00 AM
Retired

Well, I was refered to as a fanboy in a forum. Yes, I say how wonderful the XBOX is. I think it's the best comsole out there and yes, it is my opinion. Does that make me a fanboy since I think the XBOX is superior over the gamecube and the PS2.
No, not by itself. If you go into gamecube threads, or PS2 threads, and bash the systems or those that own it, then that would be typical fanboy behavior. I'm not saying you do this, just giving an example. There is one thread here, "The One and Only Why You Chose Blank Console Thread," which is pretty much the only place to discuss which console is better. Other threads on the topic are usually closed as the mods try to keep the "which console is best" discussion to a minimum as one thread is more than enough to help people decide which to buy, and more threads no the topic just lead to flame wars between fanboys and flames between fanboys and normal, non-biased gamers.

As for you being called a fanboy, I assume you were talking about the X-box magazine thread in which you posted this....

The reason other mags don't print things about being better than the other systems is because it wouldn't be true. XBOX mag just tells it how it is.
and another member replied with this....

Originally posted by diacritic
Cyberock: Can you please stop with the fanboyish, childish posts? It is getting quite annoying

He didn't really call you a fanboy, he called your posts "fanboyish." This might well be the only one of these posts you've made, but it certainly was fanboyish, even if it was meant as a joke. The danger of joking on a forum on a topic like this is that someone will always misunderstand it. The best thing to do is to keep you opinions on the X-box being best in the aforementioned thread, or in any new threads discussing the merits of the consoles. There's no constructive use in bringing "this console is best" attitudes into any other thread.
Old 01-08-02, 12:59 PM
Cool New Member

I have to agree. I actually think I was the one that used profanity with the X-box but I also posed the question about what I had to look forward to. I'm an avid gamer that loves all this industry has to give. I'm waiting on the X-Box until the fan issue is fixed after that I will grab one up and have all the systems as I always have. So while I can claim that I used foul language I am a tried and true gamer that has repsect for all the systems. I will not bash the systems here again as I know iit has no place even in a heated debate. Can I still bash those money grubbing retailers?

DCHAD OUT
Old 01-08-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dchad4123
I actually think I was the one that used profanity with the X-box
There were at least two posts you made that were so exaggerated as to make you look like a raging fanboy. This might be your sense of humor but how would we know this? I feel like I know quite a few of the guys here and I can gauge whose opinions mesh with mine. There are longtime posters like Josh, Gallant, Trigger and Thunderball that contribute to this forum in a meaningful way when you come here and make posts saying the Box will meltdown in four hours you not only make yourself look foolish but you crap on the people who make this a real gamers community.

BTW, the 24hr ToysRus in NY havent turned off their XBoxes since midnight at launch and theyre running fine.
Old 01-08-02, 02:29 PM
Cool New Member

Hey my mistake. New to this gaming forum thing. Here in New England no one has they're demo stations running and many have claimed they are crashing all over the place. Being an PC freak myself I think that if the'yre has been an oversight in production, it should be pointed out. Be an interesting thread to find out how many other posters have seen this. Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to pick one up but I need proof that what I( have been told in New England isn't true. Thanks for pointing out your objections to my behavior. I'll keep them in mind. But hey when some dude that doesn't know any better tells me I made a big mistake buying a cube its only natural to want to rip off his head do you know what down his neck. Anyway I'll try to keep it clean. I just love debating!

DCHAD OUT
Old 01-08-02, 03:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by dchad4123
Hey my mistake. New to this gaming forum thing. Here in New England no one has they're demo stations running and many have claimed they are crashing all over the place. Being an PC freak myself I think that if the'yre has been an oversight in production, it should be pointed out. Be an interesting thread to find out how many other posters have seen this. Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to pick one up but I need proof that what I( have been told in New England isn't true. Thanks for pointing out your objections to my behavior. I'll keep them in mind. But hey when some dude that doesn't know any better tells me I made a big mistake buying a cube its only natural to want to rip off his head do you know what down his neck. Anyway I'll try to keep it clean. I just love debating!

DCHAD OUT

What fan problem are you hoping gets fixed? There is no fan problem. These things run cool as an igloo.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 01-08-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-11-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now if we could only get people to stop bashing the poor fanboy... ()
Old 01-25-02, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by joltaddict

There are longtime posters like Josh, Gallant, Trigger and Thunderball that contribute to this forum in a meaningful way
Hey - I'm famous!
Old 01-27-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Geoff,

I try not to bash my console, but everytime I loose, I get pissed off.

Seriously, before opening this thread and reading Geoff's post, I thought Geoff was making a joke about literally beating your console...

I thought you got pretty pissed at a game and flipped, Geoff...

Then I read your post...and I do agree.

-------------
I especially can't stand when people come into a thread and totally question everything that is being talked about.

If you have a negative opinion, keep it to yourself!
Old 01-30-02, 01:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by conscience

I thought you got pretty pissed at a game and flipped, Geoff...
You're thinking of Thunderball.
Old 02-11-02, 02:49 AM
Banned

I am sorta new to this whole game thread thing and I think its a great idea.I also agree that there should be rules and limits to everything.I also agree that there is no room for foul launguage such as cursing.But if someone wanted to make a harmless joke about a game system without it being foul they should be able to.I seriously doubt anyone on this forum would be angry if someone made a joke about the letters PC or PS or whatever the letters may be.This is an adult forum and adults like to make jokes every now and then.I personaly love all the game systems even the old ones such as super nintendo.I just think its very very funny that people are so sencitive they would even care about harmless System jokes.I am sure I will get heat for it but I was just laughing when I read the no bashing game system's thing.If bashing equepment is that big a deal then maybe they should also make rules in the dvd exchange forum saying you cant say negative things about all the different Edition's of movies.I for one would be very upset if anyone told me Special Edition's wernt that special Just my insight on everything.I am not willing to auctlly break any rules so if I have any jokes about systems even if there innocent and harmless id be happy to keep them to myself.So far all the new systems seem pretty sweet.Ive only played the Playstation 2 but I loved it and look forward to playing X-Box and Gamecube sometime soon[Coughs]---After the prices go down a bit

Last edited by Anime_Guy; 02-11-02 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-14-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Anime_Guy
I just think its very very funny that people are so sensitive they would even care about harmless System jokes.
It went way beyond that. More along the PS2 SUX! CUBE RULZ!!! type of my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad kinda posting. Unnecissary and annoying.
Old 02-15-02, 01:07 PM
Banned

I can see yer point but common.We are adults.Are we gonna whine and complain because someone says PS2 sux and cube is better ? I mean that isnt even that bad of a thing to say.I cant say any system sux because ive only played 1 or 2 thus far.But to make rulz saying that people cant even make a goofy harmless console joke is to be honest with you kinda snobby.If we are true gaming fans we wouldnt really care what someone says about our systems.Wed be to busy playing them and enjoying all the time that went into them.Wed have no time to auctlly complain or argue or fight about what system is better.And to be honest who really cares which is better anyways ?I just cant see someone getting upset over a console joke.There are way more important topics to make rulz about than game systems.Dont get me wrong Video games in general rule.But personaly I think other rules should be being made instead of worrying bout console bashing.Just my 2 cents worth. I wish everyone the best with whatever console you have .I am sure they are all great
Old 02-15-02, 06:40 PM
Retired

This is an adult site, and a certain level of maturity is required in order to retain the priviledge of positng here. People that post "PS2 Sux" "That movie sux" etc. and not mature enough to be posting here and are shown the door.

The strict moderating is why these forums are relatively enjoyable. No one want's to post on forums with a bunch of flame wars, and dumba$$ kids posting immature crap. If you like that kind of stuff, their are plenty of forums out there that let anything go. This isn't one of them though, thankfully.
Old 02-15-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Anime_Guy
people cant even make a goofy harmless console joke
What part of It Went Beyond That didnt you understand?
Old 02-16-02, 12:58 AM
Banned

I agree that its a good thing that this place is so tightly watched over but some of the rulz are just plain funny.Like I said I dont plan on breaking them because im not that sorta person but I can sit back and reflect on the rulz and think there funny if id like to.

joltaddict -Well that all depends what part of my comment you didnt seem to understand.And that comment is this."If we are true gaming fans we wouldnt care what people say about our systems".I respect all of you a great deal.And I respect most of the mod's and people in charge except like maybe 1 or 2.But sorry some rulz are just plain silly and this is one of them.If someone wants to say something sux its there opinion.Its an honest non hurtfull opinion.Same goes for someone saying this system is better than the other.I mean if someone asks Hey is the Psx2's graphics better than X-Box ? And if that person says well no compared to the X-Box the Ps2's graphics suck.Would that be a totaly bad thing to say ? Would that person get suspended just for given an honest opinion about the graphics ? In some ways the rule is pretty funny and I am sorry all of you take gaming so seriously.I tend to see the funny part of things.I also see the serious side.Now if someone came in here and was trying to start crap and say a bunch of cus words and they said just some god aweful things about systems id agree that they dont belong here.But if someone makes a harmless joke not ment to hurt anyone I dont see why the silly rule should apply.I suppose thayt was my whole point.Of course non of u will agree with me and thats fine Happy gaming everyone.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.