Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My XBOX Just Broke, what a piece of Junk

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-02, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My XBOX Just Broke, what a piece of Junk

Got it on release day and it has worked flawless until tonight. I was playing Simpsons Road Rage, just about to do a jump off a cliff with Barney the Plow King, And then it happened. The Screen froze still and there was an awful pulsing hum through my speakers. I went to reset my xbox, thinking oh just a glich, no problem. But my game would not eject, The light keeps flashing orange. System won't boot up. I looked in the manual and it said it has overheated. I didn't even have it on for a hour. I have let it cool off for two Hours and still no go. Bill Gates and his XBOX SUCK!!!. Didn't even ,make it 60 Days. Thank god i have a 2-year warranty at Best Buy, where i will be when they open in the morning.
Old 01-07-02, 04:59 AM
Banned

Unfortunately this is an increasingly recurring problem with the new console. Dont be surprised if we see a recall soon.
Old 01-07-02, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I posted a thread linking to an AP story about Microsoft's poor customer service for XBox customers on Saturday. CNN's website and Slashdot picked it up Sunday. It'll be interesting to see if this thing gets blown up.

Usually I consider extended warranties to be rip-offs, but I think in this case it may have been a very good idea indeed.
Old 01-07-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Probably not much to some but I know my son has had our XBox on for at least 5 hours straight at a time and we have had no problems at all.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 01-07-02 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-07-02, 08:38 AM
Cool New Member

I am not buying a ****** until they fix the fan problem. X-boxes are melting and dying all over the country. Makes me sick that they didn't know this would happen.
Old 01-07-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
X-boxes are melting and dying all over the country
Really?
Old 01-07-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

New consoles do that a lot. I think almost all of them had problems, from ps1 to ps2 to dc.
Old 01-07-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I left mine on for about 8 hours(by accident) and it's still going strong. You can't escape the fact that a few bad units are going to get out. Every console launch has had it's share of problems. But that's the chance we early adopters take.
Old 01-07-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There does seem to be a lot of overheating problems being discussed. The original PS1 also had this problem until Sony finally redesigned the console on the inside and fixed it.

The Dreamcast has never had any problems though. There were some bad games pressed at one plant when the console was first released, but that was fixed pretty quickly.

The problem with the PS2 is the darn DVD-ROM failing. I know of many launch systems that had the drives fail, but Sony may have addressed this as well, because the PS2 looks very different on the inside now.

I recommend anyone getting an Xbox or PS2 to get the extended warranty. When you figure how much money Microsoft is losing on each console sold, you know they are going to cut corners on quality whenever possible.
Old 01-07-02, 09:53 AM

It is now the next morning and my Xbox still will not turn on, Just get a Flashing Light. The Fan still works but my Xbox is fried. I,ve played this thing for hours on end, even left it on all night a couple of times, and then I play it for 1 lousy hour and, Death occured to my S*** Box. Off to best buy to test out their warranty.
Old 01-07-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Only problem I've had since launch was when I rented Simpsons Road Rage. That game crashed and froze multiple times requiring restarts. So basically I returned it and got Amped instead. I haven't had problems with any other games I've played.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-07-02, 09:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The bad thing about the XBOX dying is that unless you have been saving to a memory card, you could lose all of your saved games.
Old 01-07-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see how anyone could be too surprsed by this since it was hard enough to find an Xbox not frozen in their own display kiosks a few weeks before the thing even launched.
Old 01-07-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Listen to all of this bashing in here!! I mean when gamecubes go back to nintendo http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=171097 or freeze up with other problems http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=170352 nobody chimes in with all of this Nintendo sucks blah, blah blah!! I even posted in one of the above threads stating in fact that if the post had been about xbox troubles it would be full of flameage!! Disappointingly right it appears...
Old 01-07-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shuki
Listen to all of this bashing in here!!
Huh? Have you actually read the posts in this thread? I count one flame, not including the original poster who is just upset and venting a bit.
Old 01-07-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was referring to the xbox bashing Now of course none of us in the dvdtalk video game forum would bash on each other would we??
Old 01-07-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Listen to all of this bashing in here!! I mean when gamecubes go back to nintendo http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=171097 or freeze up with other problems http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=170352 nobody chimes in with all of this Nintendo sucks blah, blah blah!! I even posted in one of the above threads stating in fact that if the post had been about xbox troubles it would be full of flameage!! Disappointingly right it appears...
This is about the tenth person I've of heard from with an Xbox dying (around the web and even someone I know at work) compared to only one person with a Game Cube. Thats the reason for my concern about the Xbox quality. If I hear of more Game Cube problems I will worry. I know the Game Cube does not have overheating problems, unless of course you block the fan vents. Nintendo put a lot of effort into designing the console to prevent overheating. It seems Microsoft did not.

There will always be a bad console thats slips through from every manufacturer, but I'm hearing about way too many Xboxes to make me feel comfortable about it.
Old 01-07-02, 12:33 PM

I'm starting to get a little concerned about the XBOX. I'm addicted to the XBOX, last thing I want is for it to break. My friend's disk drive just broke on his XBOX after playing it for 2 weeks. It won't read any disks any more. He called customer service and he said they were really nice and helpful unlike all the other stories we hear. They had him do a restore of his hard drive thinking the drivers were corrupt, there went all his saved games. Kind of feel sorry for him since he was on the last level of HALO. Though it helped me out since we were in a race to see who would finish the game first.

I think I'm going to buy the Microsoft warranty for the XBOX if I can find my paper work, just hope it's not too late. I don't want to take a chance with my $300 investment. I guess if it breaks, I'll just have to wipe off that thick layer of dust collecting on my PS2 and gamecube.
Old 01-07-02, 12:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

No offense, Darkside, but you seem to want to make the XBox sounds as bad as possible as often as possible. For someone who doesn't have an XBox you strike me as extremely interested in it.
Old 01-07-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Shuki--
You're absolutely right.
For some reason or another, I have a gut feeling it's the Microsoft name. People associate hatred with the names "Microsoft" or "Bill Gates".
Most new products go through an extensive amount of quality control. But you just can't pick up every single thing. Examples of these variables are, the environment it's played in, the manner in which the product is used/abused, the manufacturing process, etc.
As pointed out above, when you're one of the early adopters, poor quality is a risk you take. But for some reason beyond me, this console brings out the 'basher' attitude and people are quick to shoot it down.

It's a sad thing.

On another note, I've had my S**tbox (as some of you call it) since 11/15/01 and have had zero problems.
The thing is on three hours a day at times during the weekdays and upto 6 hours straight on weekends.
My s**tbox is kept well ventilated and out of harms way where it can't be kicked or jostled. I mean really, common sense will tell you to ensure ventilation and avoid placing it in areas where it can be stepped on.
I've already had one occurence where the controller cables were tripped on and the inline release cable did it's job perfectly. Or should I say the s**tline release cable. If it weren't for that, the controller or console itself may have been damaged.
I'm assuming the internal fans (or s**t-ternal fans) are doing what they're suppose to be doing. I haven't had the orange blinking light described in the manual.

It's too bad some of you are having problems with this console, but it is a simple case of "your mileage may vary".
I, on the other hand, absolutely love this s**t!
Old 01-07-02, 12:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

When you figure how much money Microsoft is losing on each console sold, you know they are going to cut corners on quality whenever possible.
This is simply not true. If you had read any of the examinations of the X-Box by anand or others, you would know they have used quality parts. They used parts to make it cooler/quieter at the expense of speed. I'm not sure how you can say that above if you look at the actual parts used.
Old 01-07-02, 12:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
I don't see how anyone could be too surprsed by this since it was hard enough to find an Xbox not frozen in their own display kiosks a few weeks before the thing even launched.
Has your X-Box crashed yet? Do you even have one?
Old 01-07-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Mine has not crashed yet. I have not ever had a problem with a game system going all the way back to the Sega Master System.
Old 01-07-02, 01:16 PM

Just got back from best buy, and of course they had no Xbox to replace my broken one. After venting on them about how they promised they would always have a few xbox's saved in the back for the purpose of exchange for their extended warranty the manager came out and gave me the Xbox from the Employee's Lounge.

Looks like they won't be playing xbox for a while. They also gave me a raincheck for a new Xbox an soon as they come in. Said they would call and I could give back the used one from the Lounge for a New one.

I give them a 7 out of 10 for the moment. At least I can play again. The worst part about it is I lost my Obi-Wan save game, Seems it only saves to the Hard Drive.

MY Gamecube Is still working Great, WAY to GO Nintendo
Old 01-07-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
One of those threads refers to software crashing, NOT total system failure from the console. The other thread talks about one isolated case and the great service he got when returning it to Nintendo. Unfortuantely, the X-Box is having a lot more than isolated system failures. This has nothing to do with flaming or unwarranted criticism just because its x-box.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.