Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The cost of game packaging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cost of game packaging?

I was just thinking, most PSX games sold for around $35 to $45 new when they came out. I specifically remember getting Chrono Cross for $40 the day it came out, yet new games for next-gen console games cost $50 new. Is it because the packaging wasn't as elaborate as the DVD casings we're seeing now? I remember the first PSX games to come out came in DVD type casings but they changed it to the normal CD size shortly after. Sure there are development costs that might add but would changing the game packaging to a cheaper smaller size case lead to cheaper game prices?
Old 01-05-02, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It's because games take longer to create these days than they used to since they have to be more and more elaborate and spectacular in order to keep a gamer's attention. It also might have a little to do with the fact that the next gen consoles use DVD media instead of CD media... but who knows. It all comes down to what the consumer is willing to pay.
Old 01-05-02, 03:11 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Well the price difference is probably more or less the media used. PS2, GC, and XBOX games use a DVD media of some sort.

PSX games do not support this same format. They use a CD media.
Old 01-05-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jrobinson
Well the price difference is probably more or less the media used. PS2, GC, and XBOX games use a DVD media of some sort.

PSX games do not support this same format. They use a CD media.
hmm... that sounds familiar...
Old 01-05-02, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trigger has it right. The price of games has almost nothing to do with the cost of media or packaging and everything to do with what consumers are willing to pay. If prices have gone up since 5 or 10 years ago, that's only natural. It's called inflation.
Old 01-05-02, 05:52 AM

I have to agree with belboz. It boils down to "how much can we get them to pay".

Part of the increased cost relates to the increased development cost and the licensing agreements (Money for the system manufacturer). The cost in publishing even DVD discs on the scale of these games cost no more than a dollar or two. $49.99 makes a nice sounding number, and it is not FIFTY!! DOLLARS.

They also have to build in enough profit for the retailer to make it worth them selling the consoles at next to no profit.

My 2 cents
Steve "shilly" Schilffarth
The Woodlands, TX
Old 01-05-02, 09:24 AM

I hate to post a "me too" post, but ths cost of DVD movies isn't that much more than a music CD. I know that this example isn't a good one since companies probably pay to have their game demos out, but the Jam Pak DVDs don't cost that much (I saw one for $7, but don't trust me too much since I don't own a next-gen system) Sure, there are production costs (I would think that for some games these are equal to or even lower than some Playstation 1 games), royalties, licensing agreements and all, but in the end it all comes down to maximizing the amount of money in the big man's pocket. How much can you charge for a game before you start to lose too many customers?

On the other hand, I think that smaller boxes might lead to cheaper prices after all. Companies would have less space to create glitzy box art, and they'll either have to convey the same message that they did with a DVD case on a jewel box or find some other way to make you want to look at their game instead of those of their competitors. A slightly lower price is the result of this.

I'm not sure, but I think eventually the price for a new PS2, Gamecube, or XBox game might settle down a little bit.
Old 01-05-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering most games for the N64 were $59.99, the Gamecube is cheaper.

I hated the pricing of N64 games.

Keep in mind thats the costs of developing games for the newer consoles is much higher than the PSX days, so that is part of it. Final Fantasy X cost millions to make.

To be honest there are very few games I will pay $50 for. I paid $44.99 for GTA3 and Final Fantasy X, but those games were pretty special. For most games I wait for a sale and try to use coupons if possible. $19.99-$29.99 is more in the range I like to pay.
Old 01-05-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

darkside, i'm with you 100%!

my whole reason for never getting a N64 back in the day was the absurd prices of games. $59.99-$79.99... not cool at all. i just picked one up a few months ago when amazon had the $50 pikachu systems, and picked up a few used games for it.

i also find it hard to pay $50 for a game, and i own an XBox, Cube, and PS2... coupons, GC's, gifts, and deals (just jumped on the Simpsons RR deal) are the only way i go.
Old 01-05-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmm I think you people are right I didn't think about that, I had forgotten the games were on DVD discs. I remember checking at Best Buy and Blank DVD media is still pretty expensive, it was around $10 for 1 disc I believe (could be wrong) compared to 20 cdrs for $10. The manufacturs also probably have some sort of wholesale deal with game companies to decrease that cost when they stamp games. True, the N64 prices were a little steeper but I usually only got games for Christmas or my birthday, and the games were usually worth the extra money.

But there are some PC games rereleased in jewel cases for cheaper prices. I got grim fandango jewel case for $10 awhile back, it used to be $30 when it was in box so maybe the packaging does cost a little...but only on a large scale. But then again, if the packaging was cheap I'd probably complain that they don't make the effort to make decent box art . I guess its pretty good the way they have it now, but I still don't like the $50 price tag. Of course thats what coupons are for.
Old 01-05-02, 05:33 PM

The duplication blanks for DVD media are roughly about $1.25 in bulk.

Add maybe another $2 for the DVD casing and manuals inside.

The biggest cost is development. Usually followed by marketing costs. It's not unusual these days for a AAA title to run a development budget in the $6 to $10 million dollar range. There are exceptions of course and a lot of studios that can do it cheaper, but it's not that unusual anymore.

Most of time you see price breaks on titles are due to one of 2 reasons. Either to increase poor sales, or a title has made it's money and they are lowering to get a little more out of it.

Rarely will you see a title have it's price cut unless it's already turned a profit for somebody or if it's just not selling well.

That's been my experience in the industry anyway.

-Naan
Old 01-05-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heck, weren't most SNES games $60+? I remember paying around $60-$65 for Super Mario All-Stars when it first came out....

So, prices have gone down. I'll take that.