Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Found a Twin Peaks: FWWM DVD Review

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-03-02, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a review of Twin Peaks: FWWM at

www.dvdauthority.com

I was disappointed to hear about the audio on the disc.
Old 01-03-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Found a Twin Peaks: FWWM DVD Review

Originally posted by TenaciousD
I found a review of Twin Peaks: FWWM at

www.dvdauthority.com

I was disappointed to hear about the audio on the disc.
Don't believe everything you read. It's only the first of many reviews to come.

Here's an interview with John Neff, who works very closely with David Lynch and is his chief sound engineer, regarding the mixing of the audio of Twin Peaks: FWWM for the new DVD.

Brian Kursar: That is great news! Finally. I know fans have been eagerly awaiting this one. Previous to the Blue Velvet remix, you had done a 5.1 remix of Twin Peak: Fire Walk With Me for New Line. Can you tell us what has changed, and how is it different from the original mix?

John Neff: I mixed that in the summer of 2000. As in all of David’s pictures, nothing is allowed to drift too far from the original. We can make it rounder, deeper, louder, cleaner, you know, make it more responsive frequency wise, but we can’t introduce new tracks. So the mag elements were transferred to digital to conform to the picture and then it was remixed in 5.1 but from the original mix elements, not from the original raw elements. So all the treatments, reverbs, and everything else of the original mix, exist on the new mix. In stereo surrounds, I might add a little reverb that fits the character of the original, or I might bleed off a little of the left/right mix to put in the surrounds with a slight little bit of reverb and delay to deepen the room, but because David has a 10% rule on surrounds, they can’t be more than 10% the strength of the front. You’re never yanked out of the picture. Those things are very subtle, and if you soloed the surrounds you might say, “Hey, that doesn’t sound like the original. But the original had less frequency response, less level, and dry. No now it’s wider frequency response in the surrounds, maybe a little delayed or reverbed bleed off in the left/right main, just to fill it out and to fill you room a little better. Put you more in the scene, but they are minor enhancements. Creating the subwoofer track was the most fun. That’s where we had our fun.

Brian Kursar: The original sound mix was a Stereo mix.

John Neff: Yes.

Brian Kursar: So how were the stems assigned in 5.1?

John Neff: I got mono stems of the dialog and effects, which allowed me to make discreet surrounds utilizing the effects track, make discreet sub elements from the mono effects track, it gave me a clean dialogue only.. center channel to then work with. Sometimes you are stuck with a premixed music and effects stereo, but if I can get that mono dialogue and mono effects track, then I can spread it out, work with something, and I can create something discreet, separate from the left and right premixed stuff. But on Twin Peaks, I had the luxury of separated music and effects stems plus mono dialogue, mono effects, I mean I had everything I needed to just really get in and make as if the original film had been mixed in 5.1

Brian Kursar: Then the dialogue track will only come from the center channel?

John Neff: Well, I believe on Fire Walk With Me there might be some crowd or the nightclub scene in the surrounds, but it’s never a lot. There was no discreet dialogue put in the rear. I do like divergence on the dialogue where it’s a pyramid. Ninety-five, ninety-eight percent of it is straight up the middle, and just a few points are out in the left and the right, because if you are sitting off center, or if you have a center speaker this big, and the left and right speakers are this big, it will give a little more body to the sound of the dialogue. On Fire Walk With Me, I’m not sure how much divergence I managed to get into it. But on Blue Velvet, I had a certain amount in, and David heard it and said, “Nope… dialogue straight up the center” so I had to redo it and take the dialogue out of the left and the right. Elephant Man already had some divergence in the left and right stem that I had, so I had a new clean dialogue track, but it also exists on the sides, to a greater degree than David would like actually. But it can’t be dealt with any other way. So elephant man is spread wider than any other picture that we’ve done DVD’s for.

Brian Kursar: I’ve talked to those at New Line who have actually heard the new audio mix, and they said it was just amazing.

John Neff: Well, that’s great. Once again, we went full 24-bit, and we like to push the equipment to its limits. The room itself is a full theatrical studio, it’s a 22 foot wide, 11 foot high screen, with three-way huge JBL cinema sound behind it powered by 7300 watts of amplification, eight surround speakers, I mean it’s like the best theater you’ve ever heard... and two great big subwoofers. It’s all balanced and tuned. We mix music in that, make all our commercials in that, we make all the film soundtracks in that, even for DVD that may end up on as speakers this big sitting on top of your TV, and some satellites that are this big, you know, and maybe a couple of stereo speakers, oh well. Everybody get big center speakers. So a lot of information exists there. Fire Walk With Me was the first time I had ever done a 5.1 remix from a stereo original source. That was a challenge, and it was a lot of fun.

http://www.dugpa.com/interviewneff1.html

cheers, Tony Block
Old 01-05-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Re: Found a Twin Peaks: FWWM DVD Review

Originally posted by Tony Block
Don't believe everything you read. It's only the first of many reviews to come.
I received the disc yesterday. As Tony says, take that DVDAuthority review with a grain of salt. The article is full of factual errors and.... well, I don't want to sound catty so let's just say that I didn't agree with some of his opinions. His primary complaint seems to be that the DTS track's volume is lower than some of his other DVDs, seemingly unaware that not all DVDs are set for the same audio level and he should simply increase the gain on his receiver.

I haven't listened to the disc in full yet, so I won't comment beyond that.
Old 01-05-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Found a Twin Peaks: FWWM DVD Review

Originally posted by Josh Z
I received the disc yesterday. As Tony says, take that DVDAuthority review with a grain of salt. [DVD Authority's] primary complaint seems to be that the DTS track's volume is lower than some of his other DVDs, seemingly unaware that not all DVDs are set for the same audio level and he should simply increase the gain on his receiver.
I mean what the hey, at least it's got a DTS track, unlike many discs coming out today, and although we don't get the deleted scenes, we do get a documentary, an anamorphic transfer, DTS & DD5.1, and all for only $19.95 MSRP. Compared to the Straight Story at $32.99, or Elephant Man at $29.99, this Lynch disc is a bargain!

cheers, Tony Block

Last edited by Tony Block; 01-05-02 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-03-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's another preview of the disc:

http://www.daily-reviews.com/t/twinpeaks3.htm
Old 02-03-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chuckd21
Here's another preview of the disc:
http://www.daily-reviews.com/t/twinpeaks3.htm
Yeah, uhhhh, whatever.

For those who want to throw their shoe at the computer screen after reading such a miserable, miserable article, here is an alternate take:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...alkwithme.html
Old 02-04-02, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's wrong Josh? Can't handle that people have different opinions?

By the way, it's TERESA Banks, not Theresa.
Old 02-04-02, 01:45 AM

Here's a couple more:

http://www.dvdshrine.com/reviews/show.shtml?id=1134

http://www.thecinemalaser.com/dvd_re...s-fwwm-dvd.htm

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2161

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews..._with_me.shtml
Old 02-04-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's wrong Josh? Can't handle that people have different opinions?
No, I just do not understand what compels a person to write such a nasty, hateful, and poorly reasoned diatribe.

Beyond that, anything I have to say is in the article I wrote.

By the way, it's TERESA Banks, not Theresa.
Oh dear, a typo. Heavens to betsy. Shall I pick apart some of your grammatical errors now, or shall we act like adults and call it a day?
Old 02-04-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
No, I just do not understand what compels a person to write such a nasty, hateful, and poorly reasoned diatribe.
Poorly reasoned? How do you figure? I didn't like the film, and I went well out of my way to explain exactly why. You can't deny that the series and the film are 180 degrees apart in terms of tone... so why is it so hard to believe that people had a hard time finding something to like about the film?

And I don't see why you think it's nasty and hateful. I stated again and again that I wanted to love it, each and every time I've viewed it.

We just have differing opinions Z, nothing to get worked up about. Just because you liked the film and I didn't doesn't mean I should call your review miserable.
Old 02-04-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because you liked the film and I didn't doesn't mean I should call your review miserable.
I was speaking of the tone of your article, which was of a miserable person projecting his misery onto others. For those who do not care to read such a thing, there are alternatives.

That is all I have to say. I will back out of this conversation before it gets out of hand.
Old 02-04-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Z. Best of luck to ya!
Old 02-07-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man this disc is a steal although I would have paid $40 or alot more to have those deleted scenes.
I really doubt that anyone is going to be disappointed
I mean people find the time to complain about the gem that is the Twin Peaks Season 1 DVD set. BTW 14.93 pre order at DDD yeehaw!
Old 02-07-02, 11:30 PM

I was speaking of the tone of your article, which was of a miserable person projecting his misery onto others. For those who do not care to read such a thing, there are alternatives.
Probably shouldn't get involved here, but I disagree with this assessment. Chuck hated the movie, so was he supposed to sugarcoat that and smile? I thought his review clearly spelled out what he didn't like about the flick and it was fairly entertaining to boot.

One may not agree with his assessment, but he expressed his reasoning well - why this was "poorly-reasoned" I don't know. I also don't see how his dislike of TP:FWWM demonstrates his inherent misery.

For the record, I knew extremely little about Peaks before I watched the DVD the other day. As I explain in my review - http://www.dvdmg.com/twinpeaks.shtml - I got it because Bowie's the man. I found the flick to be alternately boring and absorbing. I thought it ended on a high note, however...
Old 03-04-02, 11:32 AM

I watched the disc Saturday night. Extras debate aside, I have no complaints about the quality except for the Pink Room scene.
The dialogue in that sequence is louder than I've ever heard it before, which pisses me off. I've always loved the use of subtitles there in the past and they've really been necessary to catch everything. But now I can hear every word clear as a bell and the subtitles are suddenly annoying and useless. I'm thinking of hanging onto my VHS copy just so I can occasionally watch that scene the way I think it's meant to be seen and heard.
Old 03-05-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The disc is minimalistic in its presentation
I love the inside Pic of Coop over the trees it makes up for the snapper, the doc is very cool when the actors describe some of there scenes ,but I wanted more of this.
The doc should be twice as long re-edited if there is a rerelease of this. They really changed the sound in a few spots with this release. Punching up certain music cues and lines of dialogue, entrance to Cable's office and Red Room noticably. The OAR of 1.85:1 is great I am very happy to have it this way. That said the full screen version of this somehow fits its TV show lineage. With just TV speakers on I could see some of the dialogue being a little low in the mix on this.