Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever defeated all levels of Super Monkey Ball?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 01:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best is getting to level 30 on the advanced level. Awesome game.
Old 01-03-02, 01:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Is this game going to be coming out on the GBA? Man, it would be wonderful on that.
Old 01-03-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Is this game going to be coming out on the GBA? Man, it would be wonderful on that.
I disagree, it wouldn't be half the game it is w/o an analog stick or track ball.

Anyway, I managed to get up to Advanced EX 5 and Expert 21 right before I got unlimited continues, so thanks to the magic of the pause button I'll be getting through it all in the next few days.
Old 01-03-02, 01:38 PM

I've gotten through the entire game, but only because of Unlimited Continues. I still haven't accessed the extra levels on advanced (ARG! Floor 30 sucks!)...and there's no possibility that I'll ever seen the extra levels on expert. I'll waste 4 or 5 continues on Floor 7 alone. Not to mention the game just gets ridiculously difficult on some parts. Floor 50 on expert was a nice surprise though. Awesome level designs.
Old 01-03-02, 01:51 PM
Retired

Re: Has anyone ever defeated all levels of Super Monkey Ball?

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
My best is getting to level 30 on the advanced level. Awesome game.

Same here. Going to try again in a little while as it's been a few days since I've played it. Been hooked on SSB:M. Need to try for some more medals in Rogue Leader too.

Aghama and Leatherballs:

How do you get unlimited continues? Do you just have to accumulate a certain number of play points? I went up to 6 continues the last time I played.
Old 01-03-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Has anyone ever defeated all levels of Super Monkey Ball?

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Aghama and Leatherballs:

How do you get unlimited continues? Do you just have to accumulate a certain number of play points? I went up to 6 continues the last time I played.
Yeah, just keep accumulating the points. I think about every 2500 your continues go up, until you reach 9; unlimited is next. It helped that both my brother and myself played it when I got it for X-Mas.
Old 01-04-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I beat Expert in about an hour yesterday. I think I should be able to unlock the EX levels...there are only about a dozen really difficult levels I'd have to master, and then it would probably take 20 or 30 tries to make it all the way through without continuing. I dunno if I'm going to have the patience to do it, though.
Old 01-04-02, 03:37 PM
Retired

Finally beat advanced mode. Got to level 30 with 6 continues and still couldn't beat it. Tried again and beat it on my first try. It's truly a crappy level. Really half luck, half skill.

I tried expert briefly, then gave up and spent then next couple hours getting points to get infinite continues. I managed to get to level 21 on advanced without dieing, and again beat level 30 on my first try, and got through advanced without continuing. They really should have made the extra levels accessable by beating advanced and expert without continuing, rather than without dieing. That's just too hard and frustrating IMO. Advanced is feasible as I beat it dieing 3 times, but there's no way I'll ever get through expert without dieing. In reality I probably won't even get the advanced stages because it's so frustrating that it's not fun, and there's no point in playing if I'm not having fun. I'll probably just beat the expert courses and then just play the mini game and party games, which are the best part of the game anyway.
Old 01-04-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Isn't it "dying"?

Anyways, I just play bowling and billliards. I go nuts if I keep trying to beat the expert crap. My thumbs aren't skilled enough to beat some of those stages.

Last edited by SirPablo; 01-04-02 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-02, 04:12 PM

So there are extra levels if you beat each difficulty without dying? I'm currently stuck on Expert level 7. I can do it, it's just getting it done in the time limit.

Maybe this should be a different thread but, what are your favorite mini/party games? I'd have to go with Monkey Target - current high score: 4520.
Old 01-04-02, 06:01 PM
Retired

Originally posted by larryw

Maybe this should be a different thread but, what are your favorite mini/party games?
1. Billiards
2. Golf
3. Bowling
4. Race
5. Fight
6 Target
Old 01-04-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have only gotten past level 15 on Advance 1 time ever. Then I only got to 17. Damn you level 15!!!!!!
Old 01-04-02, 10:19 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Anthony Soprano
I have only gotten past level 15 on Advance 1 time ever. Then I only got to 17. Damn you level 15!!!!!!
Level 15 kicked my ass for a while too, but in reality, once you figure it out, it's one of the easier levels. The key is 1. stay away form the "border" and make the turns close to the holes in the middle. 2. Learn which way to tilt the board if you get off course, it's kind of tricky, especially the last turn. You almost have to tilt it opposite of what you'd think. 3. Tilt hard if you get way off course, you should stop and then slowly start moving up hill. Keep trying and good luck!
Old 01-05-02, 09:54 AM

How many EX levels are there for each play mode?
Old 01-05-02, 10:12 AM
Retired

Originally posted by bbox
How many EX levels are there for each play mode?
3 For beginner (pretty easy to get)
5 for Advanced, tough to get, farthers I've made it without dying is level 21.

? for Expert. I haven't seen anything about this on the web or in any magazine. So as far as I know, no one, at least in the gaming medie, has managed to beat expert without dying.
Old 01-05-02, 10:14 AM
Retired

Originally posted by SirPablo
Isn't it "dying"?

Anyways, I just play bowling and billliards. I go nuts if I keep trying to beat the expert crap. My thumbs aren't skilled enough to beat some of those stages.
Yes it is dying, not sure what I was thinking. By the way, it is anyway, anyways isn't word, just like towards isn't a word.
Old 01-05-02, 10:43 AM

Expert mode extra stages are available if you finish without conitinuing. You can die, as long as you don't continue you'll be able to open the EX stages. Advanced is really simple after you can get past level 15. Just remember to warp on 17 ->25, then 25->28.
Old 01-05-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Yes it is dying, not sure what I was thinking. By the way, it is anyway, anyways isn't word, just like towards isn't a word.
Actually, both "anyways" and "towards" are words. The very fact that you typed them out indicate this. Nor are they syntactically or grammatically incorrect. "Anyways" is simply archaic and used very little in common speech and writing; "towards," on the other hand, is a variation of "toward"; you can use either one, though "toward" is preferable (at least in my own writing).

To keep this on topic, here is my method of beating level 30 advanced. At the right moment, when all the little platforms seem to line up, blast down to the goal. If you do it at the right moment it will work around 2 times out of 10. Otherwise, I couldn't do it any other way.

Monkey Race Rocks! My wife and I play it more than the main game! I only wish there were more circuits, but I guess the real fun will come when Mario Cart comes out!

Last edited by diacritic; 01-05-02 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-05-02, 06:47 PM
Retired

Sorry to be offtopic, but anyways and towards are not proper words. You'll get points taken off of any english paper you write in college if you use them and I work for a newspaper and the copy editors throw a fit if you use them. Whether they are in a dictionary or not doesn't mean they are "correct" words.
Old 01-05-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I beg to differ: they are proper words. They are not in anyway incorrect. It is simply that certain standards (printing, or idiotic college professors) have, over time, preferred one over the other. "Anyways," like I said before, is an archaic term; it is not used all that often, kind of like "methinks," or "thou," but all these are still words. "Toward" and "Towards" are completely interchangeable it simply depends on your publisher. I have about 20 recently publsihed books on my bookshelf right now that have "towards" in the title.

Just let me add this: language is not a hard science, it is always changing and the rules are not as strict as you may think (especially the English language). Most of the time I suggest my own students to break the rules, and not listen to their English teacher.

Also, I would cross out "anyways" on any paper I receive, simply because it is not standard anymore; but I would also cross out the words "sucks," "cool," "amazing," "good" because they are indications of sloppy writing.

To keep this on topic: Monkey Ball RULES! I always play with GonGon . . .

---diacritic

BA, MA, English Literature
Ph.D. Comparative Literature

Department of English and Comparative Literature
State University of New York at Buffalo
Old 01-05-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have something to ask that is actually ON-TOPIC!

Those of you with different brand controllers: is any controller more "precise" or more controllable than others in Monkey Ball? I use the official Nintendo controller, but I was wondering if the analog stick on the third-party controllers seem to be better for SMB.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-02, 02:09 PM
Retired

I have the Pelican G3 controller, and it sucks for SMB. It's just not quite as precise as the first party controller.