Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here has yet to get a new generation system?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Anyone? The last new one I bought was a DC on 9.9.99. I plan on getting a Gamecube when they drop a little in price.
Old 12-31-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last system I had was a DC, which I'm still playing with. I'll eventually get a Gamecube and a PS2. I'll get the PS2 once it has a price drop.
Old 12-31-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a DC for Christmas (I had ebayed my Playstation a while back)... I'll probably buy an X-Box when the next gen comes out and it's $50 ... I can't imagine spending $300 or even $200 on a console by itself, let alone $50 for each game.

Old 12-31-01, 02:12 PM

I don't have too much time to play games anymore - I have a Gameboy Advance if you count that as a next-gen system, but as for now I only have a Playstation and a Dreamcast (plus older systems back to the NES). I'd be more than happy without a next-gen system, but my Playstation is just about dead - it has to be tilted on its side in order to boot, and then it skips all over the place, making Dance Dance Revolution only playable about 10% of the time. I've adjusted the laser power potentiometer, and it can't be turned any further or else the system won't boot at all. (Edit: Sentence fragment edited out of this last sentence )

So I'm considering buying a Playstation 2, but only once they hit a reasonable price. Our NES was something like $120, my SNES was $100, my Gameboy was $45, my Gameboy Advance was $75, my Playstation was $100 and my Dreamcast was $60. I won't throw $300 to buy a system, or pay another $100 for a PSOne that I effectively already own. If and when the PS2s drop in price, I'll probably buy one. I've got $300 "spare" money right now, but I won't put that much toward a game system.

Some of my friends have PS2s, XBoxes, and Gamecubes, but I honestly haven't seen anything that really makes me want to blow $400 on new game equipment and games.

It's a far cry from Next-Gen, but someday I want to buy a Neo-Geo MVS motherboard for the 4 bargain carts I own.
Old 12-31-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The most recent upgrade to my gaming since my original Playstation is the GameBoy Advance. It will be awhile before I buy the Gamecube, like maybe in a year or so.
Old 12-31-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My bro has had DC since it came out. We have a good library of games for it. I still love Shen-Mue, gotta pick up the 2nd from one of those overseas store. I had a PS2 when they first came out but i got rid of it since for some reason i was never into Playstation games. I even had the first PS for a while but traded it for a N64. Guess im a nintendo person. Took the money from selling my PS2 stuff to pick up gameboy advances for my bro and I and a few games. Today my gamecube arrived with SW and Smash Brothers. I picked up Monkey ball and G3 Extreme Racing this past weekend to play as well.

X-box has never really appealed to me. Im sure Halo is a excellent game but im not buying x-box for a extra $100 to like 1 game. But with gamecube I know there are games i will like this coming year with a new mario, zelda,metroid,new wwf and a bunch of other games which will only be on gamecube only with the exception of wwf which one will be on x-box also.
Everyone liked Playstation 1, but i was content with my N64 playing golden eye, perfect dark, wwf no mercy, world is not enough and all star baseball 2000 :-)
Old 01-02-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The last system I bought was a Nintendo 64, and I haven't touched that thing in at least 2-3 years. I am a PC gamer all the way.
Old 01-02-02, 07:42 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the consoles I own:

Atari 2600->NES->Genesis->N64->Dreamcast

I just got the DC for Christmas. I don't plan on getting another console at this point. But if there's a pattern, I guess I'll get the next Nintendo console next, followed by the Sega console after ne... never mind. I think I'm done buying consoles unless something really wows me and is cheap.
Old 01-02-02, 09:27 AM

Does the Coleco Vision I just bought, count as a next gen system?
Old 01-02-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll eventually buy a PS2, I suppose. But only when the price drops by at least $100.

I was perusing the games at a Toys R Us and I just cannot fathom paying $50+ for any of these next generation console games. I'll stick to the $20 used PS1 discs - thank you very much.

Just call me the frugal gamer.