Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on a second console: X-Box vs. Gamecube.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-30-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a little Christmas money and I think I want to get a second console. I already have a PS2. Although it will be a while before we really know if one is better than the other, would you pick X-Box or Gamecube? I would especially like to here from people who have both.
Old 12-30-01, 09:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd get the X-Box now, and then buy the GameCube during the summer.
Old 12-30-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's too expensive to own all three consoles, especially since the futures of the XBox and Gamecube are pretty uncertain.

There are a lot of games on PS2 right now that are worth owning. If you haven't got MGS2, GT3, GTA3, SSX Tricky, FFX, any EA sports games you like, and Jak and Daxter, then you might want to consider skipping a new console.

I was going to get a GameCube, but there was so much good stuff out for PS2, that it just didn't seem to be a worthwhile investment.

Also, Nintendo's best licenses look like they're taking a turn for the weird, and probably, for the worse. Zelda is cell shaded, and Mario is running around the suburbs with a giant drinking bird attached to his back.

Nothing on the XBox looks better than Halo. In fact, if you have a good PC, there's no reason to own an XBox, because the most enticing games on the XBox are shooters, and shooters are much better on a PC, where high resolutions allow for greater precision, scalable detail levels let you maximize your framerate, and, most importantly, you can play with your mouse and keyboard.
Old 12-30-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want the largest amount of access to as many games as you can get with only two Id say the Box and PS2 are gonna have a lot of overlap. If you got one or the other get a Cube. If you only had a DC Id say get a XBox.
Old 12-30-01, 10:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Jolt, I'd say the amount of XBox exclusives and GCN exclusives are equal.
Old 12-30-01, 10:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Nothing on the XBox looks better than Halo. In fact, if you have a good PC, there's no reason to own an XBox, because the most enticing games on the XBox are shooters, and shooters are much better on a PC, where high resolutions allow for greater precision, scalable detail levels let you maximize your framerate, and, most importantly, you can play with your mouse and keyboard.
There are only two "shooters" out right now for the XBox, Payne and Halo, one you can't buy on the PC (anyone know the targeted release date for that?). Your argument is pretty exaggerated at this point.
Old 12-30-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Super Smash Bros: Mellee is the best game ever, nuff said
Old 12-30-01, 11:29 PM

take a look at these two threads
Gamecube Games
Xbox Games

which ever system has the most games coming out you think you will like, then that should be the system you get.

but personally, I'll go with Xbox (due to the current and future releases games)
Old 12-30-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would get the gamecube over the XBox.

With the PS2 you have a great library of good games and you will get some good first party games from Nintendo. I may pick one up this summer myself. i do agree that if you do not need it and still have many games you do not own for the PS2 that are good, I would get those games and pass on the gamecube for a few months.

Personally i am waiting for a hack of the Xbox games for the PC so i will not invest in one since i do think it will happen. Then i will buy the games i want and play them on my PC.
Old 12-31-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
True, but the Game Cube exclusives now and in the future are far superior to the Xbox ones IMO. Nintendo is the top developer and publisher of video games. Most of the good Xbox games are also on the PS2. I have gone PS2 and Gamecube. The Xbox is something I may or may not buy a year or more down the road. The PS2 and Gamecube cover about 95% of the games worth owning.
Old 12-31-01, 01:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Alvis, are you big on home theater? Don't forget the Dolby Digital 5.1 advantage for the X-Box.
Old 12-31-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to play fun games, then get the Gamecube. If you want people to think you're cool, buy the Xbox
Old 12-31-01, 01:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by darkside

True, but the Game Cube exclusives now and in the future are far superior to the Xbox ones IMO. Nintendo is the top developer and publisher of video games. Most of the good Xbox games are also on the PS2. I have gone PS2 and Gamecube. The Xbox is something I may or may not buy a year or more down the road. The PS2 and Gamecube cover about 95% of the games worth owning.
Two of the biggest GCN games weren't developed by Nintendo (SMB and RL). So basically two good games were released and developed by Nintendo, the Jet Ski game and SB:Melee. After that it's slim pickens until Mario. I think the Gamecube will only get better, but if you look at what's coming down the X-Box pipe for Q1 and Q2, there's a lot to choose from. I don't regret getting my GCN, but I definitely see it collecting dust in the future until Mario Sunshine comes out. Meanwhile, X-Box has a ton of good looking titles coming out, quite a few of which are exclusives.

Personally, I would recommend you get rid of your PS2 before the price drops. Then get the X-Box and GCN. Otherwise just get the X-Box now and pick the GCN when there are more 1st party games out for it.
Old 12-31-01, 02:18 AM

Personally, I'd get an xbox if I had the extra money. For some reason, I don't know if the gamecube is gonna do all that good. I'm not downing it, it's got SSB:M and that's gotta be real awesome.
Old 12-31-01, 08:12 AM

Funny thing, I've been looking on Ebay to see if I can save a few dollars on either system and people are still saying they are hard to find. It's now a few days after Christmas and I'm seeing them everywhere at the b&m's.
Old 12-31-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes but as far as "must haves" I think the Box and the PS2 have the same basic weakness. They dont own any real franchises like Nintendo and Sega. They are both almost completely dependant on third parties. The "exclusives" they get are paid for. If a third party can make money by releasing it on another system they will. Remember when DOA2 was "Exclusive" to the Dreamcast. They got out of that pretty easily by adding a few costume changes and adding Hardcore to the title and released it for the PS2. There is nothing Sony or Microsoft can do to stop that, if they make the exclusive agreements too restrictive they drive developers to the competition.

Theres a very good chance of seeing a Jet Grind on the PS2 and a MGS on the Box. But you absolutely will not see Zelda or Metroid or any of the other high profile "Must have" titles on anything but the Cube.

Thats why Im saying youll have more options with combining a Cube with a Box or a PS2. There may be a few titles that remain on either the Box or the PS2 but most third parties will opt to take both Sony and Microsofts money.
Old 12-31-01, 08:49 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
If you want to play fun games, then get the Gamecube. If you want people to think you're cool, buy the Xbox
Using that arguement, if you're a kid, buy a gamecube, adult, buy an X-Box

I got an Xbox for Xmas but haven't had any time to play it. Sooner or later I will buy the GC only for Rogue Squadron.
Old 12-31-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was int he same dilemma you were in a few months ago. I already had a PS2, and the (now obsolete) Dreamcast sitting in my entertainment area...but I felt the urge to pick up a new console, and with the XBOX and GameCube coming down the pipe, I knew I had to pick one.

I chose the GameCube, for better or for worse. XBOX probably has about triple the titles compared to the 'Cube, but IMHO, the Cube titles are a better overall bunch. Sure Halo and Blood Wake look cool, but for now, I'm totally satisfied with Pikmin and SSB:M(In fact, SSB:M is so good, I only played PIkmin for about 1 hour so far..I really need to go back to it soon..)

The Cube has the franchises I wanted and the price point that I could afford making a few sacrifices.

[anxiously waiting for Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, and Star Fox Adventure!]
Old 12-31-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I picked up a gamecube, b/c I 'grew up' on Nin games/systems. (It doesn't hurt that I got a great deal on one too)...

I'll ride the wave out, and wait for a Zelda, and a Mario game. Personally, I couldn't see myself buying an Xbox.. that's just b/c I see it as a non-upgradable computer.

I already have a slammed out computer, and Bungie has confirmed numerous times that HALO will come out for PC, w/i the mext 6 months.

When it comes out for PC, it'll look cleaner, and run smoother for online gameplay.

Until then, I'll play SSBM, amoung other titles.

(But I do admit... I'm finally using my PS2 now that I've gotten a taste of MGS2, and GTA3)!!!

[edited to add that it doesn't 'hurt' either that CAPCOM is now in bed with the gamecube... can't wait to play the revamped Resident Evil games!]

-k
###

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 12-31-01 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-31-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was in the same boat (owning a PS2 and looking to get a Gamecube or XBox). I eventually chose the XBox for one reason and one reason only, Halo. After I finish it I will probably not touch the XBox for a while. The PS2 is keeping me plenty busy these days.

Ultimately it comes down to what games you want to play.
Old 12-31-01, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, Adult=XBOX.. a lot of potential to come, 5.1 audio, larger controllers, Ethernet built in, etc... The games like Halo and Azurik take so long to complete you don't need to buy many games for it! It will take me forever to finish them!
Old 12-31-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I have both and I'm playing the X-box a lot more than the Gamecube.

Though I'm playing the PS2 more than either.
Old 12-31-01, 10:58 AM

I have all four of the next generation consoles and my nonbiased advice is this:

If you already have a PS2 and want to compliment it with an additional console, go with a Gamecube. The Gamecube will have more exclusive GOOD games that differentiate itself from the PS2 library than the Xbox will. Xbox's library is too similar to the PS2s and it won't have as many "sure bet" exclusives as the Gamecube will. For those two reasons alone, go with the Gamecube.
Old 12-31-01, 10:59 AM
Retired

Look at "The one and only why you chose (blank) console thread" for a bunch of opinions on this very subject.

Really it's up to you to decide. Just look at the exclusive games for each system and decide which one has the most that interest you.

Personally I'd go with the Gamecube. You already have a PS2 and the X-box and PS2 will have more "overlap" than the PS2 and Gamecube. Plus, IMO the X-box's exclusive line-up sucks so far. Right now the only exclusive game that interests me is Halo, and that's out of the game released, and announced. Whereas the Gamecube has Star Wars, Super Smash Bros, Wave Race, Pikmin and Super Monkey Ball as exclusives now, and games like Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Perfect Dark, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. coming in the future as exclusives.

However, that is just my opinion. Those games may not interest you at all, while the X-box line-up my thrill you to death. You just have to look at the exclusive games and decide for yourself.
Old 12-31-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two of the biggest GCN games weren't developed by Nintendo (SMB and RL). So basically two good games were released and developed by Nintendo, the Jet Ski game and SB:Melee.
Actually, Rogue Leader was developed by Factor 5, which is second party to Nintendo. So, basically, it was developed by Nintendo, and will certainly never show up anywhere else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.