Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with Cable Reception

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-01, 04:35 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone me with troubleshooting cable reception. The reception in my lr TV is good. However, the cable reception on the Wega TV in the br is bad. The video is always snowy. Are the ways that I find out the cause and fix it. Thx.
Old 12-30-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would clip the existing cable supply back an inch and install new hardware. Oxidation does bad bad things to reception.
Old 12-30-01, 09:00 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Old 12-31-01, 10:12 AM

How many splits do you have on your cable line? The more splits, the worse your signal will be. Solution: get more expensive splitters (sorry, can't recommend a brand), or get a signal amplifier (several good ones at Radio Shack). Make sure to install the amp at the place where your cable line first enters the house (so that you're amplifying signal, not noise). I got one of the adjustable gain amps, and it has helped a great deal.
Old 12-31-01, 10:12 AM

I would also check to make sure the cable is firmly tight on the splitter too. Check outside at the box on the side of the house (if you can). Putting a new fitting on always helps but make sure you do it right (yes there is a right way and a wrong way to do it).
Old 12-31-01, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Scott
How many splits do you have on your cable line? The more splits, the worse your signal will be. Solution: get more expensive splitters (sorry, can't recommend a brand), or get a signal amplifier (several good ones at Radio Shack). Make sure to install the amp at the place where your cable line first enters the house (so that you're amplifying signal, not noise). I got one of the adjustable gain amps, and it has helped a great deal.

I would agree with the above but also add that the adjustable gain part is very important and going to Radio Shack is also a good idea because if it doesn't work you can easily return it.
Old 12-31-01, 11:36 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks guys! I'll go to RadioShack for a new fitting and the amp. I think I have about 3 splitters to 5 rooms. One of them is behind the walls. It was installed before the contractor finished up the new rooms. By the way, what's the right way to install a new fitting?
Old 12-31-01, 11:58 PM
0ne

sounds like

Sounds like to me you just have basic cable, the easiest and cheapest upgrade you do is to get digital cable if availiable. I've heard this compliant several times from people that have Nicer Tv's( such as the Wega and HD's) that the TV reporduces everything perfectly, even the noise. Satelite or Digital cable transmitted over fiber optics or cat 5 for that matter has about 1/1000 the amount of line noise and gives you a much better picture, 480i vs 240i. These digital boxes usually have S and component video as well which can improve your signal even further by seperating the signal onto 2 or 3 lines respectively, and carrying your audio on its own line as well allowing for digital sound. The upgrade to digital cable in the Atlanta area over expanded basic is 4 dollars a month, going with satellite is about $10 cheaper, but you have to buy your equipment and pay for local channels and additional boxes. If you have to run splitters look for ones that do over 1000 MHZ, preferably 2050 MHZ, acoustic research makes one that is about $15 and can be found at best buy.

Try messing arond with your tv's settings turning the energy saver mode off, the contrast down and brightness up and i believe sony Tv's also have SVM ( scan velocity modulation) turn this nasty bugger off as well.

ps
Also, if you are a home theater nut, get an external progressive line doubler, this will give you almost HD quality at a fraction of the price.

Last edited by 0ne; 01-01-02 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-01-02, 12:01 AM
0ne

also

make sure you have (preferably, not required) gold plated, shielded, RG6 wire throughout your house, better signal transfer with less interference.
Old 01-02-02, 10:31 AM

I would call your local cable company. It is the job of the cable company to provide quality service to your tv. (unless you installed the line to your tv). Most companies will send a technician free of charge. If they tell you that you need an amplifier, you can decide on whether to get one from them (usually better quality) or radioshack. Please keep in mind that if you have cable broadband service, an amplifier may alter the signal.
Old 01-02-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would agree with Ice, i used to work for the cable company, so unless you ran the line yourself they should come out and fix it... And since you don't know how to replace the fitting you probably didn't run the cable yourself... As for getting a radioshack amp, most of them aren't worth the parts they are made from again the cable company should come out and if need be install one of thier amps.

ShadowHawk