Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How would you like to see the LOTR game portrayed?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 02:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

somewhat spoilers if you haven't seen the movie or read the book

I think a 3rd person hack and slash (not Diablo style, but rather Max Payne 3rd person style with swords). Have it so you can choose whatever of the fellowship you want, and then make it so the other guys in the fellowship assist you (think Halo) but not too much.

Hopefully it would follow the storyline, so you contol Merry, Pippen, Frodo, or Sam until the Prancing Pony, then you can control Strider. Once the party hits Rivendel, you can control everyone... I guess I would want the games divided up like the books, just so they hit all the details like Tom Bombadil. And hopefully the game can just in and out of the storyline very well with cutscenes, but not so disjointedly (think Halo or Halflife as good examples).
Old 12-28-01, 02:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Another thought is let Bakshi have another crack at it using cel-shading and characters that look like his movie. Let him do some new scenes and finish the movie, and have the game switch in and out of the movie (like Rogue Leader). I know a lot of people hate the movie, but that would make for a cool game and the character drawings are already done.
Old 12-28-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is already coming out for Gamecube (or X-Box?), it was playable at the last E3 and there's a promo movie available online.
Old 12-29-01, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you could rule an RPG out of the picture since well if you'd read the book or seen the movie then you know how the game would play. But I could definitely see something Diablo-esque...or if all else fails make a kart racer.
Old 12-29-01, 02:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

Funnily (is that a word) enough, a game based on Loddoss War, which is anime based on LOTR, was released for the Dreamcast in the style of Diablo.
Old 12-29-01, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Agree with everything in the first post, except I would add a combat mode where you could choose up to 4 different characters to go through forests, mazes, etc, to go against each other, a la Cel Damage and Halo.

We just got Halo and the kids spent 5 mins on the actual Halo game and 4 hours and counting on the battle mode.
Old 12-29-01, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
LOTR will most likely end up an RPG because this film's core fanbase seems to be adult children who grew up on heavy doses of wearing a bed sheet as a cape and a traffic cone as a wizard's hat and playing Dungeons & Dragons in their parents basement or garage where they lived up until they were in their mid-twenties.

(before the backlash - I'm not saying that if you liked this movie you're a geek... I'm also not saying that playing Dungeons and Dragons is geeky <small>(not to your face anyway)</small>... all I'm saying is that when I went to the theater, half the people there had probably summoned the dark lord at one time or another in their lives. I thought the film was ok - a bit long, but very well made. I'm a Peter Jackson fan as well, so I gotta appreciate his skillz in the Director's chair. In all honesty though - I think this film/story could only be made into a video game as an RPG. I wouldn't play it, but that's just cuz I don't like RPG games.)
Old 12-29-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's not an RPG
Old 01-01-02, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the original SNES game with FMV sequences would rock!!!

The kart comment also rocked and it made my day.

edited for poor grammar