Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which 8MB Memory Card to Use for the PS2?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I even bother with any 3rd party memory cards or just go for Sony's ridicously expensive $35 first-party memory card?
Old 12-28-01, 10:58 AM

I'm using Nyko's 8mb memory card and it works ok. I think I paid around $28 for it.
Old 12-28-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I would stay with Sony's expensive first party memory card. After I was burned with a third party memory card during my PlayStation days, I've stuck with first party since. The only third party that seems pretty reliable would be Performance.
Old 12-28-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First one i bought was the official card. I also have a madcatz i picked up for 19.99 at walmart, although i havn't even unwrapped it yet. 8MB goes a long way. I'd spring for the official one. Havnt' had a problem yet with it.
Old 12-28-01, 02:19 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Get an Interact Shark Port for around 25 bucks. that way you can use your computer as a gigantic (relatively) memory card. you can also transfer other people's saved games to your card, for example, i just recently transferred a Gran Turismo 3 saved game that had 200 cars, all F1 cars and their color variations, unlocked lamborghini diablo, all arcade cars and tracks unlocked, and 10 trilliondollars. i grabbed it mostly for the unlocked arcade stuff so my buddies and can go i.link.

--HN
Old 12-28-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by HN
Get an Interact Shark Port for around 25 bucks. that way you can use your computer as a gigantic (relatively) memory card. you can also transfer other people's saved games to your card, for example, i just recently transferred a Gran Turismo 3 saved game that had 200 cars, all F1 cars and their color variations, unlocked lamborghini diablo, all arcade cars and tracks unlocked, and 10 trilliondollars. i grabbed it mostly for the unlocked arcade stuff so my buddies and can go i.link.

--HN
I had no idea those things were so cheap! I'll have to pick one up
Old 12-28-01, 06:42 PM

Only problem with a sharkport is that you have to move or have the PS2 close to your pc to use it. Kind of a pain in the butt.
Old 12-28-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

be careful with the sharkport. they don't work with all PS2's. if the back of your PS2 has "1C" on it... then it won't work.

but they are working on an update but who knows when they will release it.
Old 12-28-01, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mljones99
be careful with the sharkport. they don't work with all PS2's. if the back of your PS2 has "1C" on it... then it won't work.

but they are working on an update but who knows when they will release it.
The worst part with some Interact stuff like Gameshark is you have to pay for the update discs. The should get their products working before they put them on the market.

Anyway, I would avoid third party memory cards at all cost. There is a reason they are cheaper and many times they will fail on you losing all your saves. Stay with the Sony brand.
Old 12-29-01, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the best two are Sony and Mad Catz which is officially licensed so it should be fine. I would stay away from all others.
Old 12-31-01, 11:46 AM

I've got a MadCatz and haven't had a single problem with it. I've read it's the only non-Sony that uses the Sony encryption, so basically it's the same card.
Old 01-01-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Eh, I went with the ofiicial card. I mean, it's not like we are talking about a HUGE price difference here. I always go with the first-party stuff for all my systems. I've never had a first-party thing die except one N64 memory card got kinda flaky. To me, it's still worth it. I've heard too many horror stories.