Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

are there any stores that will take back dvds for credit?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 06:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have some open dvds, does anybody know if any store will take them back for credit even without reciepts because they are defective?
Old 12-28-01, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

anybody?
Old 12-28-01, 02:21 PM

Walmart usually accepts returns w/o receipt. You have to show your DL and they track the number of such returns made by a single person.

But if you only want to do it once, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-28-01, 02:41 PM
Cool New Member

i heard somewhere that suncoast does is that true?
Old 12-28-01, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by omegachrome
i heard somewhere that suncoast does is that true?

Sealed, yes. Opened, not sure. I seriously doubt that any store would accept a defective DVD return w/o receipt.
Old 12-28-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike Myers
Walmart usually accepts returns w/o receipt. You have to show your DL and they track the number of such returns made by a single person.

But if you only want to do it once, it shouldn't be a problem.
I have a sealed Godfather set, and it's not defective, it's just that I already had one when someone bought it for me. They didn't buy it at Wal-Mart, but since you don't have to have a receipt, can I still take it there and get credit/money back?
Old 12-28-01, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Spike Jonze

I have a sealed Godfather set, and it's not defective, it's just that I already had one when someone bought it for me. They didn't buy it at Wal-Mart, but since you don't have to have a receipt, can I still take it there and get credit/money back?
I took 10 DVDs to BestBuy yesterday, no receipts. Got a Store Credit for all of them. (all dvds were sealed) No Questions, they just scanned 'em and give me a plastic store credit card.
Old 12-28-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Nethead12
I took 10 DVDs to BestBuy yesterday, no receipts. Got a Store Credit for all of them. (all dvds were sealed) No Questions, they just scanned 'em and give me a plastic store credit card.
But did you buy them from Best Buy?
Old 12-29-01, 03:45 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Nethead12
They gave you the lowest prices on the returned DVDs, right?
Old 12-29-01, 06:35 AM
Cool New Member

well how about if i just want to exchange opened ones?
Old 01-01-02, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by omegachrome
well how about if i just want to exchange opened ones?
Even though they may allow you to exchange without a receipt (for your opened item), you can only get the same title. And most stores will open it right in front of you (due to license law). Even if you had a receipt, they wouldn't give you store credit either for opened and defective items. Likewise, you can only exchange for the same one.
Old 01-01-02, 08:39 PM

I also returned a number of DVDs to BestBuy without a receipt. Just as long as they are still sealed they will accept them. As Nethead said they will give you store credit. I would go online to make sure that the item isn't on sale though. They will give you credit for what the item is selling for at the store at the time of return. My friend returned Soprano's when it was on sale and only got like 50 bucks for it. I returned mines a few weeks later and received 70 I believe, can't remember.
Old 01-02-02, 02:26 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A year ago I returned a DVD without receipt to Best Buy at Beaverton, OR. They took it but gave me the lowest price in their system. Now all the Best Buy in OR wouldn't take any return without a receipt!
Old 01-02-02, 01:12 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Just a couple of days ago, I took 12 DVDs (sealed) that I had bought from various online stores to Best Buy and told the cust. service rep. that I had not bought them from BB and they scanned them and took 10 back for $202(store credit). They didn't take back Braveheart(strange) and Seven Percent Solution. I went into the store and found a Braveheart DVD, brought it back to the manager and she took my copy of braveheart back bringing up the total to $225. A bonus was that I got back sales tax as well.
Satuday Movie Matinee(or something like that) also takes back unopened DVDs for store credit.
Old 01-02-02, 03:11 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bhk
Just a couple of days ago, I took 12 DVDs (sealed) that I had bought from various online stores to Best Buy and told the cust. service rep. that I had not bought them from BB and they scanned them and took 10 back for $202(store credit). They didn't take back Braveheart(strange) and Seven Percent Solution. I went into the store and found a Braveheart DVD, brought it back to the manager and she took my copy of braveheart back bringing up the total to $225. A bonus was that I got back sales tax as well.
And BB gave you credits for the regular store prices?

I heard BB would place a limit (3?) on the number of returns you can make within a time period. They track you by your DL #.
Old 01-03-02, 01:41 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I didn't go back and check the prices on all the DVDs that I returned. But for Braveheart, I got back $19.99 and the store priced it at $24.99.