Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need help hooking these together...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a decent HiFi Sony VCR (1 A/V in and out, 1 coax in and out), XBox, Toshiba 32AF41 Flat TV, and Denon AVR receiver (multiple source A/V in and out, multiple source S-video in and out, 1 optical in, 1 coax in). What is the best way to hook these up? I don't want to "have to" turn on the reciever to watch TV either... Sometimes just coming home from work and turning on the tube without having to fire up every component is fine!

Does it matter that everything is originating from a coaxial cable? I don't have digital cable nor satellite tv, so I really don't need to bother with S-video, right? I'm not sure what is better than what... I'm using gold tipped radio shack A/V cables with the exception of the coaxial cable from the wall.

All I know is:

1. coaxial into VCR (then what?) Should I stop using coaxial from that point on and use A/V cables? If I continue coax into TV, that will allow me to just watch TV without receiver, right?

One last thing: I paid $760 for that TV, is that good (no PIP)?
Old 12-28-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: need help hooking these together...

Originally posted by guppie
Does it matter that everything is originating from a coaxial cable?
Not really, if you don't mind the lower picture quality you get with RF.
I don't have digital cable nor satellite tv, so I really don't need to bother with S-video, right?
Wrong (sort of). Your picture will always benefit with s-video connections, regardless of the source. In particular, your Xbox will look better. You don't have to, but you should.
I'm not sure what is better than what... I'm using gold tipped radio shack A/V cables with the exception of the coaxial cable from the wall.
In most cases, gold-tipped Radio Shack is good.
coaxial into VCR (then what?) Should I stop using coaxial from that point on and use A/V cables? If I continue coax into TV, that will allow me to just watch TV without receiver, right?
Yes. I would continue the coax/antenna into the TV, allowing you to watch TV without turning everything on. I would also run the A/V outs of the VCR through the receiver and into the TV video input. This will allow you to either (a) watch VHS through TV only or (b) get surround sound through the receiver and a better picture through the composite video output. You'll have the best of both worlds, depending on your mood when you get home from work.

I wouldn't hook up Xbox via RF, I would use the composite video or s-video cable, even though RF is "easier."
Old 12-28-01, 03:28 PM

thanks for advice! Gets kind of confusing. Maybe I will go ahead and use S-video from receiver into TV. Also, the XBox comes standard with red/white/yellow A/V cable that i connect directly into TV. XBox has optional s-video cable, but costs about $20-$30. If I use S-Video into TV, do I still need red/white audio cable from receiver into TV? Is the benefit from S-video into TV worth it? I know it sucks that I have coaxial cable, but I have cable internet which requires basic cable and DSL is unavailable so if I get satellite TV, I still have to pay for basic cable ($45)... What a racket!