2.44%
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Which is the best PS2 game right now?

Old 12-27-01, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the best PS2 game right now?

I just bought a PS2 for my husband, and I want to get him a game. Please help me decide which game to get. Thanks!
Old 12-27-01, 12:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've played GTA3 (Grand Theft Auto), GT3 (Gran Turismo), MGS2, and DMC, and GTA3 wins in my book.

With GT3, the driving engine was too anal... I just wanted to drive fast, and not have to be especially skillful to do it. GTA3 lets me do that.

MGS2 has too much cinema & storyline (and it's not even that good, IMHO... it tries too hard), and not enough action, especially near the end. GTA3 has a good balance... much more gameplay, but neat cinema to introduce each mission.

DMC is also a really great game, and a lot of fun to play... this gets my #2 vote. Although it can be a little hard unless you really take the time to get good... I almost got so frustrated with this game that I didn't want to play, but I decided to stick it out, and it paid off.

GTA3 just has this wonderful sense of freedom... do a search, and you'll see how most everyone on here raves about it. Of course, the whole point of the game is being the best criminal you can be, and if you're cool with that, then it's all good.

Fire bad!
Old 12-27-01, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd also say GTA3 in the number one position with MGS2 and DMC -- both are good, but not enough gameplay in my opinion -- not far behind
Old 12-28-01, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ffx here. I got really bored with gta 3. Plus I have little ones, so I have to be careful when I played around them. They like ffx though, my oldest daughter tells me to call the "Big Dog"---Ifrit.
Old 12-28-01, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,161 Likes on 4,193 Posts
My vote is for MGS2, which is the most jaw-dropping, amazing game I have ever seen, story disappointments or not. Honestly, I don't think you'd go wrong with any game on that list (although Silent Hill 2 did not receive the universal acclaim that the other games on your list did), they're all amazing, wonderful games.
I would have added Jak & Daxter to your list; it's right up there. I's the most fun, best looking platform game I have ever played.
Old 12-28-01, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Really tough call - but I'd arrange them like this:

Grand Theft Auto 3
Silent Hill 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Gran Turismo 3
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry

I thought DMC was lame - it was like a 3D version of Castlevania or something... overrated. Silent Hill 2 was outstanding - I bought it for X-Box even after having completed it for PS2 because I liked it that much. Really scary and well done. GTA3 is just so fun to play though - no doubt about it being a 5 star game. THPS3 is awesome. If he has THPS2, then get him something else unless that's all he ever plays. MGS2 and the whole Metal Gear thing is something I can't get into. Probably cuz the dude has a mullet. Final Fantasy is not my thing either, but fans of RPGs and turn-based combat seem to flock to it. I played a few minutes of the demo and all I got to do was watch a CGI movie. Boring. Gran Tourismo 3 is a decent game, but same goes for this as does THPS3 - if he has GT2 and plays it all the time, then this might be a good choice.

You probably already got him the game though, so this advice is pointless.
Old 12-28-01, 08:18 AM

Thanks for everyone's reply. My choice is obvious --- GTA3. I'm going to get it after work today.

He played GTA on PS1 at a friend's house before, and he said it was a cool game. So I'm sure he will enjoy it.