Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Tell about a time a video game affected you in real life...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

I will give an example for me.

I like games like Road Rash & Driver where the cops are chasing me & I get to drive like an idiot & get away with it. After playing mucho of those two games one day, I had to run out for something. I found myself gunning my car & driving a little more recklessly than I usually do. Wanting to pass, getting pissed at drivers in my way. I even passed a cop at one point & felt the urge to taunt him, drive fast, etc. Weird!

Have you had any times where any game has affected you? I figure someone out there has to have a good bar-fight story where they got their butt kicked b/c they thought they could kick ass b/c of a video game.
Old 12-27-01, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda had the same thing w/ you after playing GTA3 the first night. I wanted to just hop out of my car at a stoplight and jump into the nice Corvette and take off!
Old 12-27-01, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
After playing Ms. Pac Man Maze Madness for about 5 hours recently, I dreamed all night about pushing blocks and running around in circles. I play it for less hours in one sitting now.
Old 12-27-01, 04:44 PM

after playing tony hawk 3 its hard to walk down the street without thinking about grinding and jumping off things
Old 12-27-01, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After playing NFL 2K1 all day, I have this strange urge to reply to any situation with "You can't coach that."
Old 12-27-01, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was riding right along at a fair clip on my bike around some dope delivery guy’s truck (parked way too far out into the street to be legal) when he opened his door and I avoided it without thinking (and without being creamed by the traffic on my left coming up behind me).
If I hadn’t been playing Driver almost non-stop at the time, it probably would have been very ugly. The game wasn’t even on my mind at the time and that distinctive feeling kicked in and the whole thing was over before I realized what had just happened.

Thank you, Driver.

(The funny part is: I never even got to be super good at that game. I just liked it a lot.)
Old 12-27-01, 05:58 PM

The bike story reminded me about another time when I was driving and someone pulled out in front of me and I swerved and moved around them like a bad ass instead of breaking. I credit GTA3 for that too.
Old 12-27-01, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by seeyouauntie
The bike story reminded me about another time when I was driving and someone pulled out in front of me and I swerved and moved around them like a bad ass instead of breaking. I credit GTA3 for that too.
I did that once, someone cut me off, I don't know if I had the time or not to stop, but I took the incoming traffic lane and passed the f***er instead...
Old 12-28-01, 02:14 PM

Having a Nintendo 64 meant one thing -- lots o' driving games. And I tried many of them and spent hours on some of them.

I swear to you that I am a much better driver than I used to be because of these games. Not only is my reaction time quicker, I pay much more attention to the road and other cars.

My sense of direction is still sh*t, though.
Old 12-28-01, 02:39 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

affected me in real life?.... Yeah, my wife wants a divorce because I play video games too much.

I can see it now in divorce court..... but your honor, I just got the xbox!!!
Old 12-28-01, 04:46 PM

Hmmm....video games affecting my life.....

.....I remember one!!

i didn't study for my finals because I was hooked on Tribes.
Old 12-28-01, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by dgc
affected me in real life?.... Yeah, my wife wants a divorce because I play video games too much.

I can see it now in divorce court..... but your honor, I just got the xbox!!!
I know a guy that happened to actually. But he has a BIG problem with it.
Old 12-29-01, 07:44 AM

I was driving around and I saw Spanish Moss on a telephone wire and for just a split second I thought it was a New Deck (from Tony Hawk)
Old 12-29-01, 08:39 AM

Yes, from playing Warriors of Might and Magic, I find that when I go into a cold dank basement, that I want to kill creatures down there and cast spells. Weird, eh?
Old 12-29-01, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this one time I was just walking down t brick road, when I saw all these huge green pipes with flytraps coming out of them. Then these little mushroom shaped men started walked towards me. Luckily, I knew I just had to jump on the turtle, make it go into it's shell, kick it towards the mushroom men, and then duck inside the pipe while the plant isn't visible!
Old 12-30-01, 03:15 PM

When I was in highschool way back when I took Honors English and then AP English my senior year. I always got an A in those classes and wondered why. Now that I think about it I think its because I played too many RPG's....all that text to read its like reading a book.

In particular Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, Xenogears, and Vagrant Story are exceptionally well written. For example, do you know what bavardage means? Or how about exacerbate? Use these words in your papers and you will get an A .
Old 12-30-01, 06:47 PM
Banned

RRV...I played it and then tried to emulate it on the streets of LA
Old 12-31-01, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball
Yeah, this one time I was just walking down t brick road, when I saw all these huge green pipes with flytraps coming out of them. Then these little mushroom shaped men started walked towards me. Luckily, I knew I just had to jump on the turtle, make it go into it's shell, kick it towards the mushroom men, and then duck inside the pipe while the plant isn't visible!
Are you sure you weren't just eating mushrooms?