Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Good sites for pre-orders?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What online stores would you recommend for pre-ordering DVDs? I want to buy the Buffy The Vampire Slayer First Season for my sister for her birthday, and I heard that this set comes out on January 15. Would anyone here recommend Amazon, Buy.com, DVD Empire, or any other sites so that I can purchase this set? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-01, 12:44 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't preorder from buy.com! You can never cancel an order once you place it (after the first 30 minutes or so grace period)! If you need to contact them you can only do so through email. I would spend a few more bucks at another online store for the peace of mind.

Amazon, DDD, dvdplanet, 800.com, ... are all ok. Apart from amazon, you can usually get your preorder earlier than street date. However, amazon has one of the best customer service though.
Old 12-26-01, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, eau. Your comments are highly appreciated.
Old 12-26-01, 05:01 AM

My vote goes to DVD Empire.

They ship everything on friday before street, you even get your DVD before street if you live close enough to them .

They also have a great tool called 'Pre-order Manager". Have a look.
Old 12-26-01, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dvdplanet and BestPrices.com get all of my pre-orders. They both ship the Thurday or Friday before the street date. Dvdplanet sometimes ships even a little sooner, always has 30% off pre-orders and both stores have excellent customer service. I always have my discs on or before the street date.

Amazon has too much trouble keeping track of it's inventory and sometimes ships a regular edition instead of a special edition.

Last edited by nekobus; 12-26-01 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-26-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDPlanet
Old 12-26-01, 12:07 PM

DVDPlanet
Old 12-26-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now, I'm shifting a little towards DVD Planet since many of you are recommending it. I've ordered once from DVD Empire before and their customer service was great, but I have never pre-ordered. I just don't want anyone to screw up my order, so that's why I come to you guys. I'll be placing my order later today, so if you guys have any more comments, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-27-01, 03:04 PM
Suspended

My last two large pre-orders were with CDNow. They offer 30% off on pre-orders and often have additional 15% off coupons.
It also didn't hurt that I had $300 in credit from giftcertificates.com's last promotion, but I digress. Anyway, CDNow is worth considering also, IMO.
Old 01-01-02, 06:26 AM
pat
Cool New Member

I get my pre orders (and a lot of other things) through Amazon.
I've never had any problem or ever had to return anything. I have
been shopping with them for over a year.
Old 01-01-02, 06:49 AM
etp

I've used buycomp.com for two years with no problem. I never cancel!!!!!! Wait for free shipping deals and order a load.

If its regular stuff, columbia 7cy for me.
Old 01-02-02, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
I've ordered once from DVD Empire before and their customer service was great, but I have never pre-ordered. I just don't want anyone to screw up my order, so that's why I come to you guys.
DVD Empire won't screw up your pre-orders. That's for sure. Just try them sometime.

My experiences with DVDPlanet on the other hand were not so good. Their customer service needs improvement.
Old 01-04-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another vote for DVDEmpire. You can cancel an order without emailing or calling their CSRs...They ship from Pennsylvania (close to Virginia for me ) and many of their preorder prices are 35% off...
Old 01-04-02, 05:23 PM

DVD World

I might use some sites you listed becuase I never have before. I have been using http://www.dvdworldonline.com
Which is a good site. I haven't pre-ordered anything from them but I have bought Face/Off and The Simpsons S1 from them and they are very organized, plus they have live customer service and the owner has AOL so you can talk to him in AIM if you have any questions