Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Noise Problems RIGHT speaker, HELP - Urgent!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-24-01, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!!!

I am having some noise problems on my right speaker, the problem is sometimes weirdly my right speaker starts to have a low noise (bup bum pok pop) poping sound... u know what i mean..

I have switched speakers, left to the right, and right to the left, and the right one still have these noises.

Therefore i have concluded that the problem might be the receiver

I am using SONY STR-DB940, hmm everytime i hookup the to CHANNEL A or CHANNEL B of the right column, this problem occur.

Speaker, JBL S38,Scenter,N26rear....

I have checked the wire connections, all are ok, when i used a diff. cable, the problem still occurs.

My 1st questions, If I HOOK my speakers both to the LEFT connections, on Channel A and B, does it make a lot of difference? or it is still ok?

Another weird thing, when i used Analog Direct button, no noise is heard from both speaker.
Another weird thing, sometimes when i used VIDEO 3 playing my playstation, no noise was heard. It remain ok, but sometimes the noise 'returns' back when i am playing a dvd.
When i turn into the tuner, sometimes i can hear the noise, sometimes it is OK....

Sometimes the noise only occur when i start to pump up the volume of the receiver.

Is it possible that the problem might occur only when playing dvd?

What other problems could cause this?

IF ANYBODY could kindly help me, please..EMAIL me (i have slow internet connections..) and let me know what should i do, what should i check, why is this problem happening, and if can i put both speakers on L channel.

THANKS!!!!
-ahadi-
Old 12-24-01, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Noise Problems RIGHT speaker, HELP - Urgent!

Originally posted by ahadi
My 1st questions, If I HOOK my speakers both to the LEFT connections, on Channel A and B, does it make a lot of difference? or it is still ok?
I don't understand all of your post, so I don't know why you aren't getting any sound at all with some sources. This would tend to make me think you have some things hooked up incorrectly.

I can definitively answer your question above. Yes, it makes a huge difference if you hook both speakers to only the left terminals. The left and right speakers do not produce the same sounds, which is why there are two speakers in the first place. If they did, you could get along with a single speaker. If you hook both speakers to the left terminals, you'll be missing the stereo information produced by the right channel.
Old 12-26-01, 09:11 AM

whoa!
i have the same problem with my sony str-d55oz.

my str-d55oz sort of just sat on the shelf after upgrading to the sony str de835 a couple of years ago and this summer when i went to hook it up i got the same crackling sounds from the right channel.
at first i thought that it was the speakers so i tried another pair, and still the same noise, so then i switched them to set b and still the same, only my dreamcast was hooked up as i was moving it from family room to the living room for the kids.
so i tried just the tuner and tuned to an fm station an still the same.

so a couple of weeks ago i finally got around to taking it in, to best buy (they jobbed it out) gave me an est. of about 150.00 to fix it.
i refused to have it done, figuring another 50.00 or 100.00 and i could get another decent one.
Old 12-26-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It sounds to me like the right channel of the receiver has a cold solder joint that has broken. This can be an intermittent problem that may go away when the receiver heats up.
Old 12-26-01, 12:44 PM

1) Whats a cold solder joint? can you fix it by yourself? have you encountered the problem and how did you solve it?

2) Yup it seems that the noise problem is kinda random sometimes, I finally 'got' it to be ok, and right now i am not touching the wires/etc problem..

The weird thing is when the problem occur, if i choose 'analog direct' where sounds will only come from L/R speakers, there is no noise occur, perfect sound.
Tuner and Video channels seems ok, not effected by the noise..

only when i choose DVD channel.. this thing start to come up..sometimes....

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
It sounds to me like the right channel of the receiver has a cold solder joint that has broken. This can be an intermittent problem that may go away when the receiver heats up.
Old 12-26-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by ahadi
1) Whats a cold solder joint? can you fix it by yourself? have you encountered the problem and how did you solve it?

2) Yup it seems that the noise problem is kinda random sometimes, I finally 'got' it to be ok, and right now i am not touching the wires/etc problem..

The weird thing is when the problem occur, if i choose 'analog direct' where sounds will only come from L/R speakers, there is no noise occur, perfect sound.
Tuner and Video channels seems ok, not effected by the noise..

only when i choose DVD channel.. this thing start to come up..sometimes....

I do not do my own electronic repairs. If you have the knowledge and tools I suppose you could repair a cold solder joint. These are made at the factory and break eventually under stress or heat.

I am not sure about the analog direct issue. I do know that sometimes a switch such as this will bypass certain circuitry within the amp. Perhaps that is what is happening here.