Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here like the band Ocean Colour Scene?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-21-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

I've been listening to them religiously for the last 8 years. They're kind of like the Beatles meet the Who meet the Small Faces with a bit more "guitar" and a bit more of a "modern vibe".

They're pretty big in England/Europe and they just put out a best-of collection. If the description sounds interesting you need to pick it up - I guarantee you'll love them. They write great songs and they are all awsome musicians - a rare breed these days.

Some people compare them to Oasis, but I totally disagree. I HATE Oasis. Ocean Colour Scene has more talent in their bass player's pinky than the all of Oasis.

They also put on one of the best live rock shows you've ever seen - and I've seen 'em all.

Anyways, this is just a recomendation if you like well written/melodic songs, a great singer, an incredible drummer, a groovy bass player and an awesome, awesome guitarist, you'll love this band. BTW: their firs real album is called Mosley Schoals and the new compilation is called Songs For The Front Row.

Last edited by slop101; 12-21-01 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-21-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a few of their songs, and I agree that they don't really sound like Oasis. They are a really good band with music that goes down like sugar.
Old 12-21-01, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
liked that song, "1000 mile high city" in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Old 12-21-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally posted by cisgere
liked that song, "1000 mile high city" in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Yeah, they almost always open a show with that one and it rocks even harder live. It's on the best-of album, also. Though, its quite different than most of their songs. Actually, few of their songs very similar to each other.
Old 12-30-01, 06:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of influential....

Ocean Colour Scene were kind of brought along by Paul Weller who now tends to be referred to as The Modfather!

He was the main man in the The Jam, then did some solo stuff that was more like Motown (I guess) but has moved more into the Free/Humble Pie vibe in the last few years.

I believe that various members (or perhaps just Steve Craddock!) of Ocean Colour Scene have played with him live and on his albums.

He has a new Greatest Hits package called Modern Classics or one could try the originals: Heavy Soul, Stanley Road and Wild Wood.