Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

new to dvd world

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-01, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to dvd world

I live in an apt., old tv, not alot of money, what dvd player would i buy first, then what
basic surround, and what basic tv, what order would i start building a system. First the DVD player, then...
Old 12-20-01, 11:01 PM

Onkyo S-555. Sells for $199, has all video and audio connections, and even plays .MP3.
Old 12-22-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How old is your TV? Does it have composite connections?

If not, I would consider upgrading your TV first.
Old 12-31-01, 03:55 PM

yes my TV is old, thanks for the reply. Do not even know what composite connections are. Am I green or what? TV is not a priority in my life but would like to start putting together an inexpensive sysytem. What type of TV do you recommend.

thanks, virgil
Old 12-31-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree on upgrading the TV first. You need something that will show the better audio/video of the DVD and also make it easier to hook up to it.

On a budget, you don't need to spend a lot to radically improve your set, if you have an old set. Build your system around this set. If you are in a smaller room, you can probably get a smaller set, like a 27" model from Sony, Toshiba, or Panasonic for a few hundred dollars. I am sure people will have better recommendations, and if I recall correctly, there is a thread about good 27" sets on this forum.

Or depending on your room, perhaps you want a 30"?

Get one with good sound, because for the time being, it will be your source for sound. And make sure it has separate video inputs. Look at what you are using now. Cable TV? Rabbit ears?

You need the connector for that. Often it's a coaxial connector, also known as an RF connector. But you also need connectors for the DVD and perhaps something else eventually. Make sure the back of the set has at least one RCA Phono jack for video and two jacks for stereo input. Extra cool would be an S-Video connector, but not a big deal if you don't have that.

Don't spend a lot to get Picture-N-Picture as that (IMO) is an overrated feature that many people don't use.

You know, it would help if you could give us an idea of your budget.

But in general, I highly recommend on getting the better monitor first.

Then pick up a cheap $100 or less DVD player.

Then look into a Home Theater In a Box set. I am not a big fan of these, but in a smaller room where you can't really shake the walls anyway....and on a budget, I think this would be perfect.
Old 12-31-01, 05:48 PM

This thread will help with the terminology.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=165672

It's the one listed at the top of the home page for hardware.

** DVD and Home Theater Hardware FAQ **
Old 12-31-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bose Pro
Onkyo S-555. Sells for $199, has all video and audio connections, and even plays .MP3.
I agree, nice player, but I'd love to know where you've seen it for $199. The cheapest I've found it is close to $275.