Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

LOTR:BBC Radio Prodcution

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-01, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been listening to the BBC radio version of Lord of The Rings. The version I have has a bunch of sound effects and some really good voice acting by Ian Holm and many others. Then in the middle of it I find a Lord of The Rings cd that doesn't match the other different actors, less sound effects. Somehow its from a different production of it. Does anyone know anything about this older version I am referring to?
It is more like the book than anything I have heard or seen.
Old 12-20-01, 07:27 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Lord Of The Rings Unabridged is probably the other disc you are referring to.
Old 12-21-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually it's probably the Mind's Eye dramatization. The BCC is the best version, which is a unanimous opinion amongst Tolkien fans.
Old 12-21-01, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So there are three audio versions of this available.

1. Minds Eye Lord of The Rings -I remember this from my childhood they also did The Hobbit pretty good but dated.

2. An unabridged audio book version that is quite exhaustive and short on extras like a great group of voice actors and special effects (although there are some)

3. The BBCs Lord of The Rings which features an amazing cast with wizardly production and effects. This one leaves out a few things but is truly entertaining.
Old 12-30-01, 06:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A date for your diaries....?

Lord of the Rings
BBC Radio 4 first broadcast The Lord of the Rings in 1981 to huge public acclaim and you now have the chance to hear this superb serialisation in 13 weekly episodes, both online and on air, as the Saturday Play on BBC Radio 4 at 14.30 - 15.30 from 5 January 2002 on 92-95 FM and 198 LW.

This dramatisation retains a magic that has inspired many, including some of the cast and crew on the current film. It was headed by an incredible cast of Sir Michael Hordern as Gandalf, Sir Robert Stephens as Aragorn, John Le Mesurier as Bilbo and Ian Holm as Frodo. Therefore, it is no surprise that Ian Holm has now gone on to play Bilbo in the NewLine film version.
Live feed (save this and work out the time of the broadcasts where you live if you wish to listen online!