Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amusing Blockbuster Press Release

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-19-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is much more to this ridiculous press release at the link, but I copied the first paragraph for your entertinament.

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/articl...T-478,00.html?

DALLAS, December 17, 2001 – Working on Christmas Day may not seem like everyone’s idea of a celebration, but Blockbuster employees say working on Christmas is a fun, cheerful experience filled with happy customers, happy co-workers and lots of great food.

Yeah, right. Show me one BB employee who says "working on Christmas is a fun, cheerful experience" and I'll eat my left nut. Is this what BB comes up with so we don't have to feel sorry for the poor saps they make work that day?
Old 12-19-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..."The holiday season is more fun than the rest of the year combined," says store manager Bonnie Mojica of West Cherry Hill, New Jersey. "It’s never difficult to get our employees to work on the holidays."...
The press release does seem pretty strange. Plates of food from customers? People running in on Christmas day looking for gifts to give? Store helpers whose badges have the name of "Frosty the Snowman" or something?
Old 12-19-01, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Most U. S. Blockbuster stores are open on Christmas and New Year’s Day to provide entertainment for thousands of American family celebrations. The stores have reduced hours to allow workers to enjoy part of the holidays with their families."

"Holiday hours in most U.S. stores are as follows (local stores hours may vary): Christmas Eve 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.; Christmas Day, noon – midnight; New Year’s Eve, 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.; New Year’s Day, 10 a.m. – midnight."

Geez, this doesn't seem too different from their REGULAR hours...
Old 12-19-01, 08:24 PM

Anyone who works on Christmas calls that day fun needs to get a freakin' life IMO.
Old 12-20-01, 03:15 AM

Unreal. Although, doesn't it make you want to go into a Blockbuster on Christmas Day to see if any of what they say is true?

"I'd like to be helped by Cindylou, please."
Old 12-20-01, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
"It's amazing to see their faces when they walk in and realize that we are open. I've had customers who were in a panic because they needed a gift for someone that got them a gift and they did not have something to give in return," she says. "So they run into our store and get gift cards or gift baskets and tell me that we're life savers!"
Look I got you a used copy of Battlefield Earth!
Old 12-20-01, 11:27 AM

My brother used to work at BB. Working on Christmas was apparently a lot of mandatory fun. He told me that they said they'd fire anybody who didn't work that day.
Old 12-20-01, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Gabro Jay
My brother used to work at BB. Working on Christmas was apparently a lot of mandatory fun. He told me that they said they'd fire anybody who didn't work that day.
Smile, darn it! Smile! Don't you want a nice platter from the Cirque people this year?!
Old 12-20-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Brian Shannon

Look I got you a used copy of Battlefield Earth!
Can I trade it for a lump of coal?
Old 12-20-01, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hollywood Video is open on Christmas too (as are a few other places)... guy behind the counter said it was usually a busy day for them ... Consumers need to send these places a message by not going in on holidays...
Old 12-20-01, 10:07 PM
Banned

I know that a store called "The Wherehouse" is open on Christmas Day as well.They normally have all DVD's 20% off all the time. I work in retail and even I get that day off! Do these stores(BB, Hollywood Video etc..) actually think people are going to go shopping for DVD's or rent DVD's on that day? I'd rather have the day off instead! Or if I had to work get double pay for that day! The same goes with New Year's Eve and New Year's Day!
Old 12-21-01, 09:51 AM

I'm a former (thank God) store manager for BBV, and I can assure you this is pure BS. Of course no one wants to work Christmas day. Plus, I ran a store in a college town, where half the staff left town for the holidays. Scheduling Christmas was always a challenge.

And yes, Christmas day is always busy. Believe me, the worst slap in the face from a customer was to hear them say, "Gee, it's a shame they make you guys work today" trying to sound all sympathetic. To which I instructed my staff to answer, "If you weren't here, I wouldn't have to be here."

Just one more reason I'll never spend another dime at Blockbuster Video. I'm not bitter, though.
Old 12-21-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by rmorgan

And yes, Christmas day is always busy. Believe me, the worst slap in the face from a customer was to hear them say, "Gee, it's a shame they make you guys work today" trying to sound all sympathetic. To which I instructed my staff to answer, "If you weren't here, I wouldn't have to be here."

If they weren't open, nobody would be there...
Old 12-21-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
Do these stores(BB, Hollywood Video etc..) actually think people are going to go shopping for DVD's or rent DVD's on that day?
They don't think it, they KNOW it. I worked for an indie Video store years ago and we were open 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years were our busiest days. The place was completely packed.
Old 12-22-01, 04:23 PM

I've been in BBV on Christmas, and it was jam packed.
Old 12-22-01, 04:26 PM

I've never worked in a video store, but i always had the feeling that Blockbuster opened on holidays just so they would'nt have to give a free day on their rentals. I personally will not go out and do any shopping or renting of anything on holidays out of sympathy with those poor people that do have to work. If nobody patronized these places on holidays, they would stop this practice soon enough.
Old 12-23-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by shrich2
I've never worked in a video store, but i always had the feeling that Blockbuster opened on holidays just so they would'nt have to give a free day on their rentals. I personally will not go out and do any shopping or renting of anything on holidays out of sympathy with those poor people that do have to work. If nobody patronized these places on holidays, they would stop this practice soon enough.
I agree with you, but unfortunately most people don't. This is what I noticed from working at a video store:

Thanksgiving: Starting at about 2pm Thanksgiving is over or about to get over for most people. They've eaten and are sick of relatives. Nothing on TV but sports and Thanksgiving related crap. Everyone heads to the video store.

Christmas: Same as Thanksgiving, but add to that people have gotten new VCR's, DVD players, TV's, etc.. and they all want to kick back and watch their favorite movie.

New Year's (Eve and Day): Nothing to do, and nothing but parades/sports on TV. Everything's closed so go rent movies.

Anytime I have to use a store or a service on a holiday I always end the transaction with something to the effect of, "Thanks for working today, I appreciate it." And if it's a tipping situation they get a real good one. Not a lot, I know, but hopefully it lets people know they are appreciated.
Old 12-23-01, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by renaldow

I agree with you, but unfortunately most people don't. This is what I noticed from working at a video store:

Thanksgiving: Starting at about 2pm Thanksgiving is over or about to get over for most people. They've eaten and are sick of relatives. Nothing on TV but sports and Thanksgiving related crap. Everyone heads to the video store.

Christmas: Same as Thanksgiving, but add to that people have gotten new VCR's, DVD players, TV's, etc.. and they all want to kick back and watch their favorite movie.

New Year's (Eve and Day): Nothing to do, and nothing but parades/sports on TV. Everything's closed so go rent movies.

Anytime I have to use a store or a service on a holiday I always end the transaction with something to the effect of, "Thanks for working today, I appreciate it." And if it's a tipping situation they get a real good one. Not a lot, I know, but hopefully it lets people know they are appreciated.
The same thing happened years ago when I worked at a theater. We wouldn't do a first matinee on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day and the second one was usually pretty light, but by the 4 or 5:00 show, we would get really busy.

The bookstore I currently work at is open 12 - 5 on New Year's Day and we were pretty dead if I remember correctly.
Old 12-23-01, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Gabro Jay
Now that sounds like a company to work for

Spoiler:
While you were unconscious, I took the liberty of going through your purse.