Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Will there be a PS2 price drop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-01, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will there be a PS2 price drop?

I've heard rumors of this, but no details... Is it supposed to happen? Is so, when and by how much?
Old 12-18-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They dropped the price in Japan, but I dont think its gonna happen here very soon. Theyre still trying to keep the image that theyre still state of the art and a price drop would probally hurt that.
Old 12-18-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
What he said. Systems tend to drop prices when they're not as "state of the art" as they used to be but the company still wants to make the system attractive. A PS2 price drop would send the message that its not quite up to competing with the XBox and GC.
Old 12-19-01, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I hate to say I told you so, but that's basically what I said here way back at the start of this summer.

In any event, aside from the fact that Sony is positioning the PS2 head-on against the XBox, the fact is they don't have to lower the price right now.

The latest numbers I saw from NPD for the week ended Dec. 1st: (Not sure how Flay managed to miss these numbers )

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...ales_dc_1.html

XBox 182K for the week, cumulative total 738K since release.

GC 65K for the week, cumulative total 534K since release.

PS2 241K for the week, cumulative total 5.2M since release.

Apparently, these are just North American numbers. Again, I posted before the launch that PS2 may well outsell both XBox and GC combined this quarter. Certainly, the quarter's not over yet, so I'll refrain from lording it over everyone until January. :P

Seriously, though, this horse race isn't over by any means. So far, I have to hand it to Microsoft. They're on track to hit the high side of their estimates; which is something I definitely wouldn't have bet on. The GC is definitely being hurt by its lack of titles right now. It's apparent that none of its few excellent titles qualify as the proverbial killer app.
Old 12-19-01, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The sales for everyone are even higher when you figure in the stores that are not included in those figures especially Wal-Mart.

Nintendo is doing much better than those figures show and really all three systems are kicking butt. The PS2 as most people figured, will continue to be the king of the consoles. It just looks like all three consoles may find their place in the market.