Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

review wanted: Series 7: The Contenders

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody have this one yet? Details?
Old 12-18-01, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered this from DDD. No indication that they've even sent it yet. It was postponed from (I think) September. I hope there's not another problem.

Has anyone gotten it?
Old 12-18-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
I ordered this from DDD. No indication that they've even sent it yet. It was postponed from (I think) September. I hope there's not another problem.

Has anyone gotten it?
It was released. I saw it at Blockbuster today, but it was already rented out.

jim
Old 12-19-01, 07:42 AM
Suspended

I have it. I bought it Unseen and heres what i saw.

Movie: (8/10)

Video: (8/10)(I think its anamorphic widescreen but theres a mistake on the package that says its full frame. its not.)

Audio: (8/10)

Extras: (9/10)

Quite a fer deleted scenes and directors commentary as well as other things.
Old 07-03-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

been wanting to see this forawhile, finally rented it. surprised that it was widescreen, since i was hesitant to buy it for that reason. no widescreen tv, so no sure it if anamorphic.

i almost turned the movie off within the first half-hour. some of the acting is hard to take, but it's cuz the movie moves around alot, between satire and intentenaly funny momments and serious subject matter. i was trying to watch it from a perspective of it being a serious movie that questions our fasination of reality tv, which it does, but then there are times when the movie loses it's "realism" which i think breaks the mood, like the way the young girls parents react to everything. but, i either adjusted to it or the movie just got better as it went. i cracked up at the
Spoiler:
Dawn & Jeff's showdown at the football field when the show played "love will tear us apart" over the p.a.

my only complaints, besides what i meantioned, which i did get over, is that it lacked some things that one would expect from a real reality show. mainly, the time and location. you always see that, so it's lack was noticable for me. also, lol this is the only dvd where i was bothered by widescreen and a clear picture. never would have thought that before watching it. but i would have liked it to actually look as if it was a tv show. last complaint is about the plot, what are the players playing for? played as a be or be killed but that doesn't help me believe in the story. just a quick statement about players who refused to play would be killed by the special agents would of sufficed, or like most reality tv as we know it, money. i also would have liked more claification of the rules, while a contestant can you kill anyone? are you held accountable for other violations in pursuit of your target, etc etc.

i agree with The Pro, 8/10. there are some flaws but it is enjoyable none the less and gets better as it goes. collecters of the off beat definitely need this in their collection, others should rent first.

edit:

forgot the extras, haven't watched them yet. and one other complaint, the cursing should of been bleeped, but i guess the point was when tv progresses to this, bleeping will be a thing of the past, still though i would have liked some bleeping.

Last edited by Venom; 07-03-02 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-03-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
The movie's kind of fun, but the joke wears thin well before the ending.

Gsuscryst, I agree with most of your points, but please.... "would HAVE", not "would of".

Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine. I wouldn't have said anything, but you did it three times. Just needed to get that off my chest. I'm done now...
Old 07-03-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z

Gsuscryst, I agree with most of your points, but please.... "would HAVE", not "would of".

huh!?