Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Could someone please explain some stuff to me RE: HD tvs, etc

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-01, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm haven't really followed all this new theatre equipment so I really don't understand a lot of it.

I saw this 42 inch widescreen 16:9 panasonic tv today in future shop that said HDTV compatible. Now a friend has a 27 inch wega and he says wega is not compatible..it's true HDTV?
What's the difference?

As well, the futureshop guy said you would need to get a special decoder box for the 42 inch one. Is that box same as digital receiver or is that just for sound and plugging in stuff (as i thought)?

He also said a HDTV widescreen for 42 inch is about $6k to $7k canadian (or a plasma if i want the best quality but those are $13k here )

Problem is nothing much can fit down the angle to get to my basement other than MAYBE the 42 inch panasonic OR a plasma screen and i can't afford anything like that anyways

THen freind was saying I would need optical cable for the reciever to the TV and then s video to my dvd player. THen speakers of coruse, would need to choose receiver depending what speaker rig i wanted....

What are differences from dolby prologic and prologic 2 or dolby 5.1 EX and 6.1?

Thanks

Sanjay Shanbhag
[email protected]
Old 12-15-01, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at this forum's list of Frequently Asked Questions; I think that at least some of your questions are answered there.

Once you read the FAQ, feel free to come back to this thread to ask for clarification or more info.

-stevevt
Old 12-16-01, 12:27 AM

clarification

Hello,

Ok.that helped alot but I am still confused as to HDTV vs HDTV compatible?

Or, what the faq calls HD capable but with external box..is that same as hdtv comatible?
if yes..i got it

then i gotta know, is the quality with external box as good?

THanks.

SS

also, for me it's just for dvds really, so does that make a difference?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-01, 01:01 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
HDTV compatible (or capable) means the set can display HDTV if you get a HDTV tuner for it. HDTV means the tuner is already there. The quality will be as good either way, but you have more versatility with an external tuner. However an internal tuner would be more integrated with your set's remote control.

You do not need the tuner to play DVDs. They will play equally well with or without the HDTV tuner. The tuner is for TV.
Old 12-16-01, 04:03 PM
Cool New Member

So is HDTV Upgradable the same as Capable? Tweeter always advertises TV's as upgradable, will they display the best image possible from a DVD player?
Thanks.
Svence
Old 12-16-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by csvencer
So is HDTV Upgradable the same as Capable? Tweeter always advertises TV's as upgradable, will they display the best image possible from a DVD player?
Thanks.
Svence
Yes and yes. Upgradable, compatible, capable are the same thing. It just means that the HDTV decoder is not in the TV, you mus buy am external box. You get the same picture from a box as you would and internal decoder.