Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Opinion on Pioneer Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks speakers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-01, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of planning out a new HT setup, on a somewhat limited budget. Right now I'm looking at getting the Pioneer VSX-D710S receiver for $300, because it's got component video switching. I'll want component video switching for use between a Xbox and DVD player. But, how does the Pioneer stack up in terms of quality? I've bought Yamahas, for the most part, but an equivalent Yamaha costs $500. Also, I noticed the Pioneer doesn't specify 96khz/24-bit dac, will I be able to tell the difference?

Second, I'm looking at speakers and for about $400 the Cambridge Soundworks MovieWorks II 5.1 setup looks pretty good. Any opinions?
Old 12-15-01, 08:32 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know much about that particular Pioneer, but check out reviews at:

http://www.audioreview.com
Old 12-15-01, 12:52 PM
Banned

Pioneer receivers are generally of the same quality as Sony, & Kenwood, a bit better than JVC, Panasonic/Technics, and not the same quality as Onkyo/Integra, Sony ES, Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer Elite.

Cambridge Sound Works are decent little speakers, but you maybe able to do a bit better.

JBL NSP-1 and the Sony 12" powered soub would cost about $100 more than the Cambridge package you mentioned but you'd probably be much happier with them.
Old 12-16-01, 04:56 AM

Well, I sucked it up and bought a Yamaha HTR-5460 receiver. I wanted it for the component video switching, and got a good deal from crutchfield + msn rebate + blue pricematch. Original price $499, final price should be about $250. So, any recommendations on speakers? The Klipsch Quintet system seems to be good but it's so cheap (surrounds are like $30 each on ubid)? How do they compare to the JBLs? At the high-end of my price range, what about the Energy Take5.2 system?
Old 12-16-01, 09:15 AM
Banned

Nice price on the Yamaha!

Energy Take 5 would be great

Make sure those Klipsch that you're looking at aren't computer speakers.

Oh the JBL NSP-1 speaker set comes with some decent wall brackets - just somethign to think about since stands aren't that cheap .
Old 12-17-01, 02:49 AM

I'm leaning towards the JBL's, but what's wrong with the Klipsch Quintets that make em so cheap? If you do searches for reviews, they get compared to expensive systems.... but on Ubid, the surrounds can be had for $25 a pop. Add a center and sub and it's a very cheap system. Here's the URL:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/syst...d=43&line=home

And a sample UBid auction for the Quintet surrounds:

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=6303315

What gives? If these are on par with the JBLs, I'd save a lot of cash with these? Also, what's wrong with the JBL subwoofers on Ubid that nobody wants em? I would need a sub to pair with the NSP1, and this is one on ubid:

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=6311374

Help?

Last edited by brygx; 12-17-01 at 05:09 PM.