Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX RF Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-01, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX RF Adapter

Hmm.... interesting to note. I got an RF adapter virtually free from Best Buy when they had $10 off 2 XBox accesories or $20 of 3 XBox accessories since I RF adapter was only $10.

However, when I hooked it up to my TV, the picture came out fine, but the sound was really bad. It shounds like you are listening to Bad AM radio.

Looking at the manual, it said change the audio setting. When I went to change my audio, there wasn't any option!!!

But if I plug in using the cable that came with the XBox, there is a audio setup option available. Interesting hah? So I changed the setup, but still the sound is bad.

Anyone having similar problems?
Old 12-15-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
same here but the tv i was using it on is a P.O.S. Lucky for me my regular tv should work fine no rf adapter.
Old 12-17-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to be too much of an ***, but why didn't you save the money you spent on an X-Box and buy yourself a real TV?
Old 12-17-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally posted by Fanboy
Not to be too much of an ***, but why didn't you save the money you spent on an X-Box and buy yourself a real TV?
Because it is so much fun listening to you fanboy's rag on the x box.
Old 12-17-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't recall ever ragging on the X-Box, Gamecube or any other gaming system. I just cannot understand why you would spend $300+ on a top-of-the-line system to play on a $50 TV. Kind of like using a Ferrari to deliver KFC. But I guess I'm just ragging on KFC or Ferraris or something.

I'm not trying to threadcrap, I think a new television set is a legitimate solution to Berserker's problem. And if money is tight, then perhaps he should have gone with a new display before ponying up for a new gaming rig.

Last edited by Fanboy; 12-17-01 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-17-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Read my first post.
Old 12-18-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Read my first post.

*SIGH* Since I'm not trying to hijack this thread, let me just say that I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Okay, Berserker, to legitimize this post let me just say that when I first purchased my PS2 I had a ghetto TV with only an RF-in. What I found was that either the PS2's drive or the PS2 itself was causing interference with the signal causing noise bands to run through the picture. No amount of fine tuning could solve the problem.

My only solution, and the one I posted above, was to purchase a new television. Within 3 months I had saved up enough to purchase a nice 32" TV with component ins and have had no problems since.

If anyone else has any suggestions, here are links to the
- Xbox Manual in PDF
- RF Adaptor in PDF
Maybe you can see some solution to Berserker's problem that I cannot.
Old 12-19-01, 07:52 PM

Hmm....the TV I'm hooking up to isn't so bad, it's 27" stero tv.

The reason I bought an RF adapter was because it was practically free. But the reason I'm trying to use the RF adapter is I wanted to use xbox in two places. And because there are many equipments connected to that TV which took away the only INPUT jacks, I wanted to just by pass it by connecting it to the RF adapter. This way I can leave the cable that came with the xbox in my room so I can freely move it around.

But it does frustrates me that using an RF adapter screws up the sound though.... oh well.
Old 12-20-01, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm, since it isn't the TV that's to blame, what I would then recommend is returning the RF Adaptor and getting the A/V Pack. Bring that home and along the way stop at your nearest electronics hut and pick up 3 RCA splitters and share a set of A/V inputs with another device.

Then you can plug the Xbox and another device into the TV at the same time, still having the plug handy for whenever the Xbox leaves the room.

I wouldn't advise doing this (sharing RCA inputs) with a VCR as they are never "off" unless it's unplugged. But sharing RCAs with another video game system will work out fine. Any signal loss you may experience through the splitter will be negligible while still providing better video and audio than that RF adaptor.

Hope that helped.
Old 12-20-01, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can buy a junction box that will do either S Video or RCA ... Bestbuy.com has had one on sale in the Video Game area of their site for $14.99