Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Cheapest AI...Madden 2002 or NFL2k2

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheapest AI...Madden 2002 or NFL2k2

I think both are pretty cheap. I mean I eventually got pretty damed good with NFL2k1 and NFL2k2...having good offensive seasons with the Ravens of all teams. Still though that game will get fumbles and interceptions when it needs it...and if you are up by a good lead all of a sudden your recievers get stone hands.

My favorite is when the computer makes its RB's invincable. I have literally had the computers RB run in place in the middle of a pack of linemen, busting through for a long gain.

Madden is another story. When that game wants to score...it is going to score. I have ran prevent defenses against teams with the Ravens and they still will score an 80 yard bomb if they need it in triple coverage.

Today I was playing up on Tenn by 4 pts...they needed a touchdown. With 30 sec to go they get to the 30 and Mcnair threads a pass to the corner of the endzone on a covered reciever...touchdown...I was about to turn the game disc a frisbee...

So which series has the cheapest AI?
Old 12-11-01, 05:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The funny thing is the game is a lot less cheap when it's set to easy, but then the game is too easy.
Old 12-11-01, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
The funny thing is the game is a lot less cheap when it's set to easy, but then the game is too easy.
I usually play on the medium difficulty setting and then I will adjust the way I play if the game is still too easy. Not using spin moves or speed burst when I run or other things to make it harder.

When I turn the difficulty to high the computer cheats so much that the game ends up sucking. The 80 yard catch when you have triple coverage on a receiver or the running back breaking about ten of your tackles for instance.
Old 12-11-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Cheapest AI...Madden 2002 or NFL2k2

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker

I have ran prevent defenses against teams with the Ravens and they still will score an 80 yard bomb if they need it in triple coverage.

Don't ya know that prevent defenses, prevent you from winning Never call the prevent "D"

j/k I know how the ai can get sometimes.
Old 12-11-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Cheapest AI...Madden 2002 or NFL2k2

Originally posted by Deadpool

Don't ya know that prevent defenses, prevent you from winning Never call the prevent "D"

j/k I know how the ai can get sometimes.

Generally in both games I run a decent amount of blitzes mixed with bump and run coverage. I only call a prevent or a deep zone after I have sacked the QB and the offense is facing a 3rd and long.

Happened to me today. I took down Mcnair, and they were facing a 3 and 17...I call a deep zone defense and he airs it out for a touchdown pass. Annoying as hell.
Old 12-12-01, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So I take that the Blitz game series is out of this discussion? Like how you can be up by 30 points with just over a minute left and lose by 4?
Old 12-12-01, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
So I take that the Blitz game series is out of this discussion? Like how you can be up by 30 points with just over a minute left and lose by 4?
Well I have never played Blitz to be honest. Damn...that is some mega cheap AI.
Old 12-12-01, 01:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Each team should have its AI customized to the team's personality. If it's Brett Farve and he gets sacked a few times he should be more susceptable to throwing interceptions. The game makers should look at fumble percentages for individual running backs and not make them cough one up when the computer is down. They should look at dropped pass percentages for receivers and interception percentages for qbacks. THat would make for the ultimate AI football game.

If anything, they should let you customize the AI and allow you to make the AI as cheap or realistic as you like.
Old 12-12-01, 02:01 AM

Never plaued Madden 2002, but 2k2 has cheap bastard AI's! That game really pissed me off, but I loved it at the same time.
Old 12-12-01, 08:56 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I think that Blitz has "catch-up AI" as part of its system, just like NBA Jam did. The farther behind you are, the easier it is to score. I guess the purpose is to keep the game close. So, it's intentionally cheap.

Fire bad!
Old 12-12-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Each team should have its AI customized to the team's personality. If it's Brett Farve and he gets sacked a few times he should be more susceptable to throwing interceptions. The game makers should look at fumble percentages for individual running backs and not make them cough one up when the computer is down. They should look at dropped pass percentages for receivers and interception percentages for qbacks. THat would make for the ultimate AI football game.

If anything, they should let you customize the AI and allow you to make the AI as cheap or realistic as you like.
Well I think Grbac's AI is pretty much on the money...cause he throws interceptions like crazy in Madden and in NFL2k2...
Old 12-12-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, Madden lets you do that. I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but it lets you adjust things on offense, defense, and special teams for both a human player and the CPU. However, the changes would affect whatever team any human player or the CPU is controlling. So, for example, you couldn't adjust "interceptions" for one particular quarterback (unless you edit his abilities, which you can also do of course). You can also adjust how often certain penalties are called.
Old 12-12-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
I think that Blitz has "catch-up AI" as part of its system, just like NBA Jam did. The farther behind you are, the easier it is to score. I guess the purpose is to keep the game close. So, it's intentionally cheap.
Oh, it most definitely does, and it's a menu option too, but I was just bringing it up...