Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone get the new Automator disc ("Lovage")?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Last week I ordered Automator's new disc "NATHANIEL MERRIWEATHER PRESENTS: LOVAGE-Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By." It's yet another concept album, but with Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle) and Jennifer Charles (Elysian Fields) being the main players this time. You can listen to the whole album at his label's site. They're offering the Lovage companion CD for free (only pay shipping), so I ordered one of those, too. Any idea what's on that? Anyone have any thoughts on the album?

Between this, Dr. Octagon, Deltron 3030, A (Much) Better Tomorrow, Handsome Boy Modeling School, and the Gorillaz, I'm beginning to think that the Automator can do no wrong. He's right up there with Prince Paul and DJ Premier as one of my favorite producers.
Old 12-11-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No, this is yet another Dan the Automator release that has come in under my radar. It always seems that way. Certainly, the first chance I have, I'm going to pick this up. He's a favorite of mine as well. He also produced the Bombay the Hard Way soundtrack, a collection of early 70s Bollywood film music done up in the Automator style. Most enjoyable.

Last edited by planetaire; 12-11-01 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-15-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just picked this up the other day, and i'm really liking it so far.

did anyone get the companion cd and find it any good? i may order one if it's still available and worth getting.

my first exposure to automator was with deltron 3030 when i heard it on a college station almost 2 years ago. i only heard two tracks, but ordered it online that very night... a good decision :>

this album (and automator's other efforts) are so much better than 99% of the rest of the crap out there, it's a shame so many people have never even heard any of it.
Old 02-15-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I got it some time last month. The remake of "Sex (I'm a)" gives me the hot.

However, I ordered it with the companion CD (which wasn't out yet at the time) and haven't heard anything about it since.

Originally posted by planetaire
No, this is yet another Dan the Automator release that has come in under my radar. It always seems that way.
The only reason I heard about it is that I periodically check the 75 Ark website. Does anyone know exactly what affiliation Nakamura has with the label; my assumption is that he's one of the co-founders.

Last edited by Aghama; 02-15-02 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-15-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
How is Patton on this one?
Old 02-15-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how is 75 ark in handling orders directly? i'd definitely rather give them my $ than amazon... but don't want to be sitting around waiting for months.

i actually just looked and automator has another album coming out in a few days (feb 19) called "wanna buy a monkey" but can't really find any other info about it. (not that i feel like i need much more info... i'll order it anyway)
Old 02-15-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eeyore
how is 75 ark in handling orders directly? i'd definitely rather give them my $ than amazon... but don't want to be sitting around waiting for months.
I think my order took 1 - 1.5 weeks. I agree with you about giving them the $ directly.

i actually just looked and automator has another album coming out in a few days (feb 19) called "wanna buy a monkey" but can't really find any other info about it. (not that i feel like i need much more info... i'll order it anyway)
It's a mix CD. From hiphopsite:

1. FANTOMAS - INTRO
2. BLACK ROB - SMOOTHNESS/ENCORE FREESTYLE
3. DELTRON 3030 - POSITIVE CONTACT
4. AIR - LE SOLEIL EST PRES DE MOI (DAN THE AUTOMATOR REMIX)
5. ZERO 7 - DESTINY
6. TORTOISE - SENECA
7. THE DOVES - FIRESUITE
8. LOVAGE - STROKER ACE
9. BOBBY DIGITAL - THE RHUMBA
10. GORILLAZ - LATIN SIMONE (ORIGINAL VERSION)
11. DE LA SOUL - BIONIX
12. MASTA ACE - DON'T UNDERSTAND FEATURING GREG NICE
13. JIGMASTAS FEATURING SADAT X - DON'T GET TWISTED
14. X-ECUTIONERS - X-ECUTIONERS (THEME) SONG FEATURING DAN THE AUTOMATOR
15. DILATED PEOPLES - CLOCKWORK
Old 02-15-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the info Aghama :>