DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

2 questions

Old 12-10-01, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 questions

I would like to connect a dvd player to a television that doesn't have s video or rca inputs. What materials do I need in order to do this. Also, what do I need in order to defeat copy protection on dvd's so that i can record them on to vhs? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-10-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To connect the DVD player to the TV, you'll need to go to Radio Shack and buy an RF modulator. This will cost about $30. The picture quality won't be up to what DVD is capable of, but it'll get you through until you get a new TV.

There are two devices made to defeat Macrovision, both made by the same company. The Sima Copy Master is available at Best Buy for about $50, but it really isn't adequate. It's more geared towards VHS, and DVD has an added layer of copy protection that the Copy Master isn't good with.

The best solution is the Sima SCC color corrector. It lists for $130, but can be found a bit cheaper. I bought mine from www.cameraworld.com for $100 last year.
Old 12-11-01, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems...

I have the Sima CopyMaster and the SCC and to be honest with you I haven't come across a DVD that the cheaper CopyMaster hasn't been able to copy.

As far as looks go, the SCC wins hands down... The cheap-o plastic look on the Copymaster doesn't look good, plus you don't get to mess around with the color and the hue with the copies.
Old 12-11-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: No problems...

Originally posted by apark78
I have the Sima CopyMaster and the SCC and to be honest with you I haven't come across a DVD that the cheaper CopyMaster hasn't been able to copy.

As far as looks go, the SCC wins hands down... The cheap-o plastic look on the Copymaster doesn't look good, plus you don't get to mess around with the color and the hue with the copies.
You can copy using the Copy Master just fine, but the picture quality is very inferior to what you get using the SCC. Colors are way too over-saturated and have a smudged look to them. If you're really going to be doing much copying, the SCC is by far the way to go.