Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PS2 i-link (boardband connection for ps2)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-01, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering when sony was going to come out with an i-link. I want to play tony hawk 3 over the internet but i haven't seen anything around to hook up my ps2 to a cable modem or something. Anyone know?
Old 12-10-01, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the PS2 came out last year, their was word that it was going to be out in Jan. of 2001. Hmmm...almost a year later and still now modem connection. Also where's that hard drive that was promised at the begining of this year too. All I know is, my XBOX is getting more play time than my PS2 since so far Microsoft delivered on things.
Old 12-10-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I seem to remember hearing that you can use certain USB network adapters to the PS2 and play online that way. Did the THPS3 manual include a list of supported adapters?
Old 12-10-01, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Originally posted by Cyberock
When the PS2 came out last year, their was word that it was going to be out in Jan. of 2001. Hmmm...almost a year later and still now modem connection. Also where's that hard drive that was promised at the begining of this year too. All I know is, my XBOX is getting more play time than my PS2 since so far Microsoft delivered on things.
Gee, thanks for the helpful info I'm sure you're enjoying playing your Xbox online, right?

The THPS manual does indeed explain how to set the game up online. You hook an external modem to the PS2 via the USB port on the front. Sorry I don't know all the details, it's too complicated for me, but I hear it rocks as an online game.
Old 12-10-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been playing THPS3 online for weeks now, after having read something about it being possible in this very forum. There's some info on what devices are compatible here (scroll to bottom): http://ps2.ign.com/reviews/14284.html .

Problem is, not many folks are aware of the possibility. There's an average of around 10-15 games worldwide going on at any one time, and given that firewall issues keep me from serving my own game, I'm often unable to find anywhere to play.

Still fun as hell, though, and really slick on our cable modem.
Old 12-10-01, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Decker

Gee, thanks for the helpful info I'm sure you're enjoying playing your Xbox online, right?
Actually, I'm having a blast playing Halo online. Then in April, I'll be looking forward to playing Unreal Championship online. All I was trying to say earlier is that Sony has not came through with anything they have promised for their system. I've been waiting and waiting, and now I'm starting to think I don't need it, XBOX is coming through for me.
Old 12-10-01, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
I stand corrected. It was my understanding that Halo was not going to work online on the Xbox version (only the PC vesion). I guess I was wrong. It's very nice that the Xbox has a built-in modem, and irritating that the PS2 does not, but it will be available soon at a reasonable price ($30 or $40 I think). Still, I wonder about the future of online console gaming...
Old 12-10-01, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info guys. I hope the official ps2 modem is under 40 bucks.
Old 12-10-01, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cyberock

Actually, I'm having a blast playing Halo online. Then in April, I'll be looking forward to playing Unreal Championship online. All I was trying to say earlier is that Sony has not came through with anything they have promised for their system. I've been waiting and waiting, and now I'm starting to think I don't need it, XBOX is coming through for me.
Technically, MS has not come through for you. It was some hackers that kludged together a software bridge that came through for you.

It's not an elegant solution, but I suppose it's workable until MS delivers an official online gaming option.
Old 12-10-01, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
I stand corrected. It was my understanding that Halo was not going to work online on the Xbox version (only the PC vesion). I guess I was wrong. It's very nice that the Xbox has a built-in modem, and irritating that the PS2 does not, but it will be available soon at a reasonable price ($30 or $40 I think). Still, I wonder about the future of online console gaming...
Actually, Halo does not officially support internet multiplayer games. Bungie had planned it all along which is why it works at all, but basically what he's talking about is a kludge where you run a software bridge on a PC attached to the XBox and the internet.

edited to remove stupid wording, as usual

Last edited by belboz; 12-10-01 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-10-01, 09:46 PM

You can marvel all over your Xbox HDD, and built in Ethernet port while I actually play the games on the PS2. Outside of Halo, there isn't much on the system yet worth owning it for. There are certainly several games in the future I'm looking forward to, but if you want to talk about MS delivering, I don't think they have yet on the software side which is the important thing.

PS I already have a PS2 HDD and Ethernet port, plus games that support them.
Old 12-11-01, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Darknight
You can marvel all over your Xbox HDD, and built in Ethernet port while I actually play the games on the PS2. Outside of Halo, there isn't much on the system yet worth owning it for. There are certainly several games in the future I'm looking forward to, but if you want to talk about MS delivering, I don't think they have yet on the software side which is the important thing.

I don't like this post.
Old 12-11-01, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Darknight

YOu're right the software titles aren't there yet. I bought my PS2 when they first came out last year and there wasn't much then for software titles either. Just takes time. I'm just upset with Sony cause when I bought my PS2 last October, I kept reading about the online capabilities and the HDD that were suppose to be out very soon. Now the big thing from Sony is how they're going to push up the date on the PS3. I wish they would just take the time and make the PS2 what it was suppose to be, a great gaming system with a lot of extras and not worry about the PS3.
Old 12-11-01, 01:30 PM

Sony has always said that the network and HDD wouldn't be available until at least late 2001. They then at E3 this year disclosed how their plans were shaping up but still didn't have an exact date for the network and HDD. At best they thought they would release the adaptor this November if the software was ready. With only one game being ready, they didn't. I feel bad for Activision though.

There's no point in releasing something when it's not ready or the support isn't there. Look at how long it took for the DC to get some decent online games and even then, there are only a handful of games that have online capabilities. Don't even get me started on the number of games that will let you use their broadband adaptor which they released and failed to support. Better to not have it out than have it out and nothing to do with it. Broadband connection and hard drive support aren't going to be huge factors this generation. They will be nice extras, but the support level will be at a minimum. I mean geez look at the Xbox already. What game on there really takes advantage of the HDD? I thought the music ripping idea was great, but you can't even use it in most games. Some of the games that do only limit what you can do with it. Most of the games on the Xbox are already out on another system and the Xbox version doesn't take advantage of any of the Xbox advantages.

Also I would take the PS3 being pushed out early with a grain of salt. First it didn't come from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. which is who really makes the decisions when it comes to the PS, PS2, and PS3. Second, that quote has been disected enough that it already has been proven to not mean much at all. So I wouldn't get all worried about the PS3 coming out soon or the PS2 life span being cut short. If you haven't seen what the quote really means, then a quick summary is that the viewpoint was that if the Xbox starts making the PS2 platform unprofitable, they may have to cut it shorter than expected and move on to the PS3. Now do you really think the PS2 is going to all of a sudden stop bringing in cash for Sony and somehow Sony is going to fall out of first place with a 20 million system headstart, not to mention still doing well despite the comeptition being out? Sony owns Japan and Europe and they didn't slide off in the US thus far even with both systems being out. So I wouldn't worry about the PS3.

I also don't see how you can say Sony needs to worry about making the PS2 a great system when it already is. The amount of quality software in the last 6 months has been staggering. I buy a lot of games a year, and I'm even having trouble keeping up with what is out there. Sony has already IMO made the PS2 a great game system and doesn't seem to be doing anything that will hurt that issue. If you think broadband and a hard drive is what is needed to make a great game system, then that's your misguided view. It's about the games, and right now the PS2 has them. Xbox is a fine system and will have some great games coming for it in the horizon, but as it stands, the hard drive and ethernet port aren't really doing much for the system without the games that utilize them.