Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here have the Kenwood HTB-204?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-07-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprisingly my wife is pushing pretty hard to get a surround system and saw the Kenwood HTB-204 system at Target last night for $299. Now I know it's not the best system out there but currently we have no surround setup and we are looking to get a setup cheaply.

A couple of things I've wondered about this setup...

1. Is it upgradeable? If I decide to upgrade the speakers or the receiver itself later is that possible?

2. What kind of video inputs does the receiver have? I haven't been able to get a good look at the back of the receiver and specs have been pretty hard to come by. Hopefully I'll be hooking a PS2, a Dreamcast, and a DVD Player into it so at least 3 S-Video connections would be nice (and a component input?).

I see $300 being the most we could possibly spend on a setup like this so I don't think I could handle a more expensive at this point.

Thanks.

Edit: The best specification page I could find so far was on Circuit City, but it lists the system as having 3 component inputs. I just don't think that could right. If it is then

Last edited by mtucker; 12-07-01 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-07-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may have answered my own question. Looking at the picture of the receiver on 800.com I was able to see that the receiver was a Kenwood VR-505, which I was able to find out only had composite connections.

Last edited by mtucker; 12-10-01 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-09-01, 09:12 AM

I just bought the HTB 504 because it is top rated by Consumer Reports.
Paid $379 at Sears
Old 12-10-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by 007jim
I just bought the HTB 504 because it is top rated by Consumer Reports.
Paid $379 at Sears
Yeah, that's the set I'm looking at now since the HTB-204 is too limited. Thanks for the Sears tip as I hadn't thought of looking there and $499 seems to be the normal price everywhere else.
Old 12-10-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mtucker

Yeah, that's the set I'm looking at now since the HTB-204 is too limited. Thanks for the Sears tip as I hadn't thought of looking there and $499 seems to be the normal price everywhere else.
He probably used an internet price match, which is getting harder to do there now that Sears is starting to crack down on them.