Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

do i really need a VMU

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i really need a VMU

hi

i just bought my dc and a controller and a vmu(13 bucks)

now i see 4x mem card for the same price and wonder

should i just get a 4x mem card instead of that cause it holds alot more space + ill be playing alot of nfl2k2 and it takes up the whole vmu??

is it useful in certain games (i know in nfl2k2 its for vmu play calling or whatever)

but any other good things about it?
Old 12-06-01, 08:00 PM

If you really don't care about the play calling, then I would say that you should buy a 4x. Most the sports games take a whole VMU so that way you can save more then one season on it. Also the 4x mem you found is a good price, but the VMU can be bought at Best Buy for $10 (or less) if you decide to buy this. Hope this helps .
Old 12-06-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what i mean is
in any other games is the vmu useful?
Old 12-06-01, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you plan to save any game info, then yes you need a vmu. When I had my DC I had 2 regular VMU's for play calling in NFL2K and 2 4x memory cards to store all my game saves and such.
Old 12-06-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok
what i mean is
do i need a vmu

or a 4x mem card

im trying to decide if the vmu is worth the loss of mem space but the visual part
Old 12-06-01, 08:43 PM

Ohhhhh my bad!!!! Other then NFL2K2, I don't use the screen. It does do effects depending on the game. If that is not important to you, then go with the 4x. I personaly never even use my VMU screen, it doesn't really make a huge difference out side of NFL2K2.
Old 12-06-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a newbie Dreamcaster myself, but I've heard that Skies of Arcadia makes good use of the VMU. That's the only one I've heard of where it's really necessary though.
Old 12-06-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yeah definitely get the VMU if you get skies of arcadia. As a matter of fact the day I bought Skies I had trouble with "something" so I went out and bought a VMU the very same day. I'm glad I did because I would have run into trouble later in the game. Its possible not to use one but you'll have an easier time and trust me, this game is one of the more harder rpg's.

Soul Calibur is a really nice way to show off your VMU, its amazing the exact same action on screen is replicated in the VMU with stunning detail (i'm dead serious!).

Other than that I didn't really use it too much, Skies made it all worth it though. VMU's are only $9.99 though (the battery is really short on it though).
Old 12-06-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

heads up some games are only compatible with a VMU for storage. Also there are several games with cool mini games for the VMUS Quake III Sega GT . One tip if you get a VMU leave the white tab in the back that way the battteries won't get eaten up. It still saves fine and you remove the tab when you want to use the VMU stand alone. It slides back in easily.
Old 12-07-01, 02:10 AM

what everyone mentioned is true. For games like nfl2k2 or something, it's cool when you play 2 player. it has cool graphics that go with the games and you can d/l little minigames w/ it also. however, you don't really need it. it looks nice and was a good idea but it doesn't hold much. my nba2k1 characters take up the whole thing. so i guess it boils down to whether you want to spend extra money for it. mine came w/ a vmu and i think it's cool but useless for the amount of memory it holds. that's my 2 cents.