Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get an email from AOL-Warner...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... about winning a free Citizen Kane DVD?

I did today. Here's what it said:

Congratulations! You are a winner in the Warner Home Video Citizen Kane Sweepstakes! Please reply to this email with the address you would like your Citizen Kane DVD mailed to. This information will not be used for any purpose other than to distribute the sweepstakes prize.

Thanks for entering!

Account Coordinator
America Online, Inc.

I don't remember anything about it, and I never win anything. Plus, I already have this DVD. I'm sure I can sell it though, supposing I actually get it. So, anyone else out there receive this?
Old 12-06-01, 03:01 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you fill in any sweepstake form? It would be a fishy message if you didn't.
Old 12-06-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds fishy. I wouldnt' send my address. But i would send an email back requesting a number and a person you can speak to to confirm its authenticity. I'm sure they'll understand.
Old 12-06-01, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by eau
Did you fill in any sweepstake form? It would be a fishy message if you didn't.
I think there was a sweepstakes for it. I sorta remember filling out the form. And the email came with someone's name and phone number from AOL. Seemed fairly legit, just surprising.
Old 12-06-01, 03:33 PM

I "won" something from aol. It ended up taking me to a site where i had to type in my PW and SN to get it. Yeah right! Just don't give anyone your PW is all the advice i have.
Old 12-06-01, 06:43 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
there was an ad here on this site to win a copy of citizen kane from warner just a month or so ago
Old 12-06-01, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won one as well-

it came from a DVD talk link to a contest - I think they gave away 25 copies or more.
Old 12-06-01, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by AtlDVD
I won one as well-

it came from a DVD talk link to a contest - I think they gave away 25 copies or more.
Excellent! I thought I entered one, now I'm glad I have some confirmation!
Old 12-07-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

jiggyblau, I got that email yesterday. I'm curious about it because even though it was sent to me it was not addressed to me AND it arrived in my junk file. I tried unsuccessfully to get someone at Warner Bros Online to speak to me, mostly they said they are not in charge of the promotion dept. They couldn't even give me a number to go to.

I'm going to try that number in the email on Monday. Their is just something about this promotion that desn't feel right. And since you took the time to ask, I can only assume you felt the same way. Did you send your info already?
Old 12-07-01, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
jiggyblau, I got that email yesterday. I'm curious about it because even though it was sent to me it was not addressed to me AND it arrived in my junk file. I tried unsuccessfully to get someone at Warner Bros Online to speak to me, mostly they said they are not in charge of the promotion dept. They couldn't even give me a number to go to.

I'm going to try that number in the email on Monday. Their is just something about this promotion that desn't feel right. And since you took the time to ask, I can only assume you felt the same way. Did you send your info already?
I sent the info. I figure, AOL has my address anyway (they own 20% of all that exists media and entertainment wise, so they must have it). Even if it isn't AOL, but some silly fool playing an AOL rep, who cares? Privacy (i.e. somebody having my address) is a concern I cannot have if I want to be a member of this board!

Also, someone above posted that there were to be 25 winners. I can easily see them sending out a non-personal email with that number of winners.

If I get the DVD, excellent. I'll have two of them. If not, no big deal. I would be selling it anyway. But I'd still rather get it!

Last edited by jiggyblau; 12-07-01 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hear what you are saying. Very unusual that at least 2 people from the Forum won the same contest....Maybe it was something MysterX posted?
Old 12-08-01, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I hear what you are saying. Very unusual that at least 2 people from the Forum won the same contest....Maybe it was something MysterX posted?
I think it may have been a link from this forum (i.e. a link at the top of the page sponsored by AOL or something). All speculation. Hopefully we'll receive our DVDs though!
Old 12-10-01, 09:19 PM

WOW, I ALREADY RECEIVED MY COPY. Guess it wasn't a scam at all. That was ridiculously fast.