Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast Accessory question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamcast Accessory question

To my fellow Dreamcast owners,
I have a few questions. I've been doing some research on dreamcast accessories and i wanted to get some advice from dvdtalk's veteran dc owners.

1. Are Madcatz products quality? I was thinking about getting the Madcatz light gun, dreampad controller, and possibly the jump pak.

2. What's the best dc gun? Is it the Madcatz? And is this even worth it since there are only 2 games that support it.

3. Ascii pad or Arcade stick? Is arcade stick worth the extra $$? What's the best arcade stick anyway...the Agetec Arcade Stick?

4. Lastly, has anyone used the Maracas? Are they worth it? And has anyone used the 3rd party ones and know if they are good?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Also any good sites that sell fairly priced dreamcast stuff would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-01, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
The Mad Catz gun is reportedly better than any other one that is widely available. I've seen the Maracas for as low as $39 (at gexpress.com I believe). Of course there is only one game for them so you have to take that into consideration.

BTW, I have several Sega controllers, a couple of VMU's and jumpacks for sale, see the Videogame Trade forum for my post.
Old 12-06-01, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dreamcast Accessory question

Originally posted by dkva

1. Are Madcatz products quality? I was thinking about getting the Madcatz light gun, dreampad controller, and possibly the jump pak.

Not IMO. Go for pelican or interact if you can.

2. What's the best dc gun? Is it the Madcatz? And is this even worth it since there are only 2 games that support it.

Don't know. I have the interract gun it's great. I haven't tried the Mad Catz one, but it's officially licensed by SEGA and IGN says it's the better of the two.

4 Games
House of the Dead 2
Confidential Mission
Death Crimson OX
Virtua Cop2 (Sega Smash Pack)

3. Ascii pad or Arcade stick? Is arcade stick worth the extra $$? What's the best arcade stick anyway...the Agetec Arcade Stick?

Sorry can't help here

4. Lastly, has anyone used the Maracas? Are they worth it? And has anyone used the 3rd party ones and know if they are good?
If you can get two pairs, and have both Samba versions and some friends then its worth it. Don't know about the non-Saga versions.

Also any good sites that sell fairly priced dreamcast stuff would be greatly appreciated.

These Guys are great: http://www.easybuy2000.com/
Old 12-06-01, 08:20 AM

1. I have all the first and third party controllers. Mad catz is my favorite. I busted 2 interact pads playing marvel vs capcom.

2.go for the mad catz gun. I have(had) 2 interact ones and some of the buttons are kinda cheap,(didn't survive the attack of 3 yr old twins)and came off. I have the offical sega gun(imported) and a mad catz one so far so good.

3.It depends i have both. I use the arcade stick for games like capcom vs snk and other 2d fighters, and i use the gamepad for soul caliber and virtua fighter. over all if you don't want to spend the extra $$$ the gamepad is fine.

4.don't have them(yet) but played with them lotsa of fun specially with friends.

5.what mmconhea said.
Old 12-06-01, 06:42 PM

Thanks alot! I didn't expect such great advice!

The reason I ask about the Madcatz products is that they seem pretty quality products from all the reviews I've read. This is compared to all the crap that i've heard about some of the interact products such as their gun and controllers. However, Interact did make the best vga box, i think their jump pak is great, and racing wheel by them is supposedly the best.

BTW, has anyone tried any of the other 3rd party guns besides the interact and madcatz. I've been looking on ebay and found all these different guns that i didn't know existed. Is it simply safer to go w/ the madcatz? ARGH!! i don't even know if it's worth it....though finding out that 4 games support it instead of 1 makes it an even better buy than the maracas.

As for the arcade stick...i was simply asking cause i didn't want to spend alot of money on a low quality product. I guess i'll go with the Agetec?

Last question. Are there some games that are better played with the playstation controllers? Does anyone know if the Dream Connection 4in1 allows use of the ps2 dual analog controllers? All i know is that is the only way i'll be able to play a shooter game like Unreal Tourney w/o dual analog. For me, it's impossible to play with the sega controllers, though i do think they were well made.

Thanks again to everyone who responded! The info was REALLY helpful
Old 12-06-01, 08:15 PM

Re: Dreamcast Accessory question

To my fellow Dreamcast owners,
I have a few questions. I've been doing some research on dreamcast accessories and i wanted to get some advice from dvdtalk's veteran dc owners.

1. Are Madcatz products quality? I was thinking about getting the Madcatz light gun, dreampad controller, and possibly the jump pak?
I do like there stuff it's good quality. I've had no problems with mine.

I think that the Madcatz gun is the best, it's a lot smaller then the others.

Don't know much about this. Sorry.

If you getting SDA you have to buy the maracas, the game sucks with out them.

Hope this helps you!!!!
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-07-01, 07:46 AM

Thanks alot! I didn't expect such great advice!

The reason I ask about the Madcatz products is that they seem pretty quality products from all the reviews I've read. This is compared to all the crap that i've heard about some of the interact products such as their gun and controllers. However, Interact did make the best vga box, i think their jump pak is great, and racing wheel by them is supposedly the best.

BTW, has anyone tried any of the other 3rd party guns besides the interact and madcatz. I've been looking on ebay and found all these different guns that i didn't know existed. Is it simply safer to go w/ the madcatz? ARGH!! i don't even know if it's worth it....though finding out that 4 games support it instead of 1 makes it an even better buy than the maracas.

As for the arcade stick...i was simply asking cause i didn't want to spend alot of money on a low quality product. I guess i'll go with the Agetec?

Last question. Are there some games that are better played with the playstation controllers? Does anyone know if the Dream Connection 4in1 allows use of the ps2 dual analog controllers? All i know is that is the only way i'll be able to play a shooter game like Unreal Tourney w/o dual analog. For me, it's impossible to play with the sega controllers, though i do think they were well made.

Thanks again to everyone who responded! The info was REALLY helpful
All the different guns on ebay are imported 3rd party guns. They are based on the offical sega gun (which was only available in japan) they are smaller than the ones here, and quality is so-so
I say stick with the madcatz one.

the agetec arcade stick is good. the best if you can find it is the interact alloy arcade stick. very durable and strong. but they only made limited qaunties.

I use the 4in1 to use my ps1 and saturn controllers on. I've heard that the ps2 dual analog is suppose to work but I can't personally confirm or deny

hope that helps
Old 12-07-01, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by sistasoulja

hope that helps
Actually, this helps out alot! Now the hard part is finding all these items for a good price If anyone knows of a good website or has the following for sale at a decent price, please email me at [email protected]. I'm looking for:

Performance vga box
DC Maracas (doesn't have to be official sega)
Madcatz Light Guns
Madcatz Dreampad Controller
4x Nexus Memory Card w/ cable
Dream Connection 4in1
Extension Cables for DC controllers
Agetec Arcade Stick or Interact Alloy Arcade Stick
Soul Calibur

i guess i should be listing this on the other page alrighty then!
Old 12-07-01, 06:28 PM

hey, does anyone know about the SkillZ 4x Memory card? Is it as good as the Nexus? Thanx