DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

X- box --- DTS?

Old 12-05-01, 07:10 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X- box --- DTS?

Does the audio on X-box include DTS, or DD 5.1 only?
Old 12-05-01, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DD5.1 is quite sufficent for games & movies. I'm not sure if the hardware can pass DTS signals ( it should be able to through the TOSLINK) but just looking at the few available DTS titles on DVD I would'nt really be concerned.

Both my audio set-up's at home are DTS ready but I rarley get to hear the advantage becuase of the lack of titles that encode DTS tracks anyway.
Old 12-05-01, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by cubanx

Both my audio set-up's at home are DTS ready but I rarley get to hear the advantage becuase of the lack of titles that encode DTS tracks anyway.
I don't know about this one. The number of DTS titles is growing. Universal and Dreamworks titles now have dual DD/DTS tracks. The Superbit series from Columbia also features a DTS track. Warner has a few titles on DTS. The only studios I can think that don't have a single title on DTS are Paramount and MGM.
Old 12-06-01, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A good rule of thumb is if it does not have the DTS insignia it will NOT do DTS!
Old 12-06-01, 10:38 AM

Xbox WILL do DTS! Xbox doesn't seem to rave about this but it does do DTS. I tried this myself and I've played several DTS DVDs already.

One thing to worry about with the Xbox, if you own a large HDTV, is the Chroma bug. From my experience I think it has this problem along with a ton of the major DVD players on the market.
Old 12-06-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by John Sy

I don't know about this one. The number of DTS titles is growing. Universal and Dreamworks titles now have dual DD/DTS tracks. The Superbit series from Columbia also features a DTS track. Warner has a few titles on DTS. The only studios I can think that don't have a single title on DTS are Paramount and MGM.
Don't forget about Hannibal from MGM having a DTS track. It has been their only DTS title to date, at the request of Ridley Scott no less, but maybe they will soon have more on the way. Choice is good.

J
Old 12-06-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Xbox WILL do DTS! Xbox doesn't seem to rave about this but it does do DTS. I tried this myself and I've played several DTS DVDs already.
Are you sure it actually doing DTS or downconverting to DD 2.0?
Old 12-06-01, 05:16 PM
mdX

Originally posted by Frank S
Are you sure it actually doing DTS or downconverting to DD 2.0?
it passes the DTS bitstream via the optical output, same as it would for a DD track. DTS cannot be downmixed like DD - if you're listening to 2-channel DTS you're only getting the front L/R channels