Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: With a Friend Like Harry

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
Old 12-05-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was looking forward to this movie for a long time. It was a big letdown for me. The plot was interesting, and the acting was good as well, it just didn't go anywhere. I guess I would equate this one to the feeling of having sex and not being able to reach orgasm (it's good, but didn't have the ummpff needed at the end).
I'd say it's worth a rent, but not a purchase. As for the extras, I don't recall. I was at that point too let down to see if there was any. I would have enjoyed this one a little more if I hadn't expected it to be great.
Old 12-05-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Reviews Wanted: With a Friend Like Harry

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
I liked it, I bought it, though it's overpriced, but what Buena Vista DVD isn't.

GREAT: 2.35:1 spotless anamorphic transfer & 5.1 french audio. BAD: The only special feature is a trailer.

If you like Hitchcock you should like it. It should make my top ten of the year.

Here's four reviews of the DVD.

cheers, MCB

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/resultat....land=%25&ok=go
Old 12-06-01, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... to live in R2/France...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=2619

Note: NO subtitles - in any language, including French - but otherwise a handsomely designed two-disc (DVD-9 + DVD-5) DigiPak in a cardboard slipcase...

...interesting movie...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2000/11/0...p_review.shtml

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 12-06-01 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-06-01, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by saoirse
I was looking forward to this movie for a long time. It was a big letdown for me. The plot was interesting, and the acting was good as well, it just didn't go anywhere. I guess I would equate this one to the feeling of having sex and not being able to reach orgasm (it's good, but didn't have the ummpff needed at the end).
I'd say it's worth a rent, but not a purchase. As for the extras, I don't recall. I was at that point too let down to see if there was any. I would have enjoyed this one a little more if I hadn't expected it to be great.
Pretty much how I felt except I didn't think it was very good at all. I also was really looking forward to seeing it and it was a huge letdown. I am so glad I didn't buy it instead I was able to rent it. Very slow and tedious.....
Old 12-12-01, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
A letdown

I saw it in the theater but not on DVD. The movie was a big letdown for me, because it was built up as this huge Hitchcock-like thriller, but it was just predictable and boring.
Old 12-12-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'd just barely heard of this one before I saw it, and perhaps because I didn't know what to expect, I really enjoyed this. If you're looking for your typical overblown, telegraphed and fake-suspenseful American suspense movie, don't bother, but this is a somewhat leisurely paced, but genuinely frightening, stalker story. "Harry" is one of the more chilling movie creations I've seen in a while, and the rest of the cast is really good as well. I like the slow, insidious way things build up here, and the ending is pretty fitting. It's well worth a rental at least. Didn't notice any special features of note, though.
Old 12-12-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I'd just barely heard of this one before I saw it, and perhaps because I didn't know what to expect, I really enjoyed this. If you're looking for your typical overblown, telegraphed and fake-suspenseful American suspense movie, don't bother, but this is a somewhat leisurely paced, but genuinely frightening, stalker story. "Harry" is one of the more chilling movie creations I've seen in a while, and the rest of the cast is really good as well. I like the slow, insidious way things build up here, and the ending is pretty fitting. It's well worth a rental at least. Didn't notice any special features of note, though.
speakin' of insidious, what about that pink bathroom?

cheers, Tony Block