Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question for Chicago Area DDD customers

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long has it taken for people in the Chicago area to get a shipment from Deep Discount DVD?
I know it's media mail and slow, but should it take over a week to ship from Itasca, IL to Hoffman Estates, IL?
Old 12-03-01, 08:39 AM

Re: Question for Chicago Area DDD customers

Originally posted by Fate7
How long has it taken for people in the Chicago area to get a shipment from Deep Discount DVD?
I know it's media mail and slow, but should it take over a week to ship from Itasca, IL to Hoffman Estates, IL?
I live just across the state line, in Wisconsin. I have received my orders within two or three days through out this year. Shipments in the last two weeks have taken up to a week or so, but have arrived. I attribute the delays to the normal holiday mail glut. I saw the same thing at about this time last year. DDD says to allow up to ten days from when they notify you of the shipment, but all of my orders have arrived before then. I hope this helps you. Happy Holiday season.
Old 12-03-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the one time I ordered from them it took over 3 weeks to get an in stock item shipped from Itasca to Roselle..(Roselle shares a border with Itasca)-thats why i dont use this $%^&hole etailer anymore
Old 12-03-01, 11:48 AM

Not to bag on you guys or anything, but wouldn't it make sense to just make the trip to Itasca if you live just a few miles away? That way, you get the merchandise right there, and you don't have to wait till it shows up to your door. I've been to their storefront/warehouse, and you can place your order online or call it in, and you can also pick it up - saves you the trouble of waiting for your dvd to arrive in your mail.

Just my 2 cents,
R
Old 12-03-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by i-bystander
Not to bag on you guys or anything, but wouldn't it make sense to just make the trip to Itasca if you live just a few miles away? That way, you get the merchandise right there, and you don't have to wait till it shows up to your door. I've been to their storefront/warehouse, and you can place your order online or call it in, and you can also pick it up - saves you the trouble of waiting for your dvd to arrive in your mail.

Just my 2 cents,
R
I was told I couldnt pick up orders so thats news to me-if I knew I could I would believe me..anyway..if its not in stock which is usually the case 90 percent of the time with DDD it doesnt matter whether you can drive there or not
Old 12-03-01, 12:42 PM

You did mention in-stock item...

I was there just last Friday, and this one guy walked in and picked up his movie/s - even dropped off a bad copy for return/refund!

HOWEVER.....
I just called them to verify:
a) you can't pick up movies ordered online;
b) you can go to the store, place your order, and walk out with the movie;
c) fyi - they're located on 900 Rohlwing Road in Itasca, dba Music & Movies Outlet.

R
Old 12-03-01, 01:02 PM

Never knew they had a B&M store. Will keep that in mind for future use.
Old 12-03-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You did mention in-stock item...
R
thats the other propblemw ith them-they say they are in stock then when shipping takes forever they claim its not in stock..dont take my word for it-there was a whole thread devoted to how bad this e-talier is
Old 12-03-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've placed four or five orders with DDD, have never had problems with them. I know that they have had trouble shipping to Southern California for some reason (shipping delays), but the orders would eventually arrive.
Old 12-03-01, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Deke Rivers

thats the other propblemw ith them-they say they are in stock then when shipping takes forever they claim its not in stock..dont take my word for it-there was a whole thread devoted to how bad this e-talier is
I have placed over twenty orders from them and have received prompt service and delivery on virtually all of them. On the very few items that they have had to backorder, they provided a date that the item would ship by, and all of them have been shipped by the target dates.

In your first post on this subject you said that you have only placed one order ever with this company, and will never place another. On your next post you state that they are out of stock on 90% of the items that they carry. Then you post a third reply.
Why are you so absorbed with the subject, if you have only ordered from once, and had already decided to never deal with them again.

I doubt that if they were out of items 90% of the time, the would be doing as well, and getting so many repeat orders from customers. I am very happy with their price structure and level of service
Old 12-03-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hold on-I said I placed only one order with them..thats true...and it took 3 friggin weeks to get .I attempted to place others but the items were not in stock( I call to make sure )..so I dont know where you are confused on what I say..bottom line I think the place sucks..its obvious that you are in the minority as there have been long long threads on here where people voice thier disatisfaction with them..its not just me..IM just voicing my opinioin ..you can continue ordering as much as you want from them..dont take it as a personal insult (unless you are a stockholder)
Old 12-03-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Deke Rivers
its obvious that you are in the minority as there...
Hmmm... I didn't realize I was in the minority since I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. Thanks.

For every bad experience people may have had, I'm sure there's just as many, if not more people who have had positive experiences.

Last edited by Adboy151; 12-03-01 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-04-01, 12:14 AM

Nah...

You aren't the only one, adboy. I've only placed a few orders from them. Last one was a preorder for Utena Ltd Ed. The same Ltd Ed that Amazon and other etailors took orders for, then tried to substitute the normal edition, or just cancelled the orders outright.

DDD delivered my copy by release day....

Hard to forgive service like that. Yup

(Deke, relax... I'm not a stockholder or anything )
Old 12-04-01, 09:55 AM

I accept DDD for what it's name states. It is a deep discount service, with all that implys. If a person wants to have an online DVD provider that stocks every item published, and wants it delivered overnight or within a day or so, at the lowest price and with no delivery charges, they have unrealistic expectations. No such discount operation exists. Even places that are higher priced and charge a delivery fee, such as Amazon, do not meet that criteria. I have had items backordered at Amazon, only to have them eventually cancelled by Amazon. DDD has never cancelled on me. Any item that was placed on backorder was filled and delivered by the date they promised.

If they do not list an item, then I move on, and find it elsewhere. If they carry something I want, and they are the low or tied for cost to me, then I always order from them. I bought several Criterion items, such as the Samurai series, and Sullivans Travels from them at a fair price.

Here is a test you might wish to conduct. Go to DVDpricesearch.com. Do a search for Night Of The Hunter.( A Robert Mitchum masterpiece.) You will find that DDD is the lowest price provider, as it is on many other items. Now look at the site rating which is given by customers. Four stars, which matches or exceeds all of the online competition. If you are looking for perfection, no place is, and don't look in your mirror for it either. Are they an overall quality operation, that has made improvements to their site and service information as they evolved. Yes.

I am not a stock holder, but I am going to look into it to see if they are public, and if they are doing well with the bottom line, I will consider purchasing some shares.
Old 12-04-01, 03:43 PM

I've ordered from DDD several times and, yes, a couple times it took a while for me to get my order, but I think each time was because they hadn't received their stock yet. I know I waited for Guffman (!!) for a couple weeks before I finally got it. But their prices are good and I know I'll usually get it fairly soon. I'll order from them again.
Old 12-05-01, 08:25 AM

The dvd came after a week and a half. I really can't complain since I did get it for $8 cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 12-05-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c) fyi - they're located on 900 Rohlwing Road in Itasca, dba Music & Movies Outlet.
Why, oh why, have I been bothering to order online from them for a year, when it turns out that I'm about a mile away from their storefront? Thanks for the info!
Old 12-06-01, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Per thier customer support-the store front does not honor the online prices..I called them yesterday to check on a dvd (out of stock naturally) and asked about the store front-its basically and overstock(never knew this to be a problem with ddd out of stock maybe but overstock????)
Old 12-06-01, 11:41 AM

Numanoid - Time to get in the car and drive that mile! =)

Deke - I went in there, and they actually check the price online. Whatever it says online, that's the price you get. I wouldn't really recommend calling the 'store' for this kind of info. Instead of the storefront, what you get is the CS from the 'warehouse'. They'd give you a different answer than the one you get from the 'store'.

Basically, DDD operates online. They have a B&M called Movies N' Music Outlet. M&MO is the 'store', DDD is the 'warehouse'. When you call DDD, obviously, you get the warehouse. As far as the 'store' is concerned, like I said they check the price online, and that's what they go by. I don't know if you're being misled by CS (weird), but I'm talking from experience. Since you're not too far away, why not give it a shot, and check out their 'store'. Maybe it'll change your opinion of them. Or maybe not.

No flames,
R
Old 12-06-01, 11:46 AM

Forgot to mention...

I dunno if their B&M store is supposed to be a secret, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who know that they have one. Maybe the reason the tell you otherwise is that they don't want their stores flooded with customers. Doesn't make sense, does it? Maybe they'd rather be known as online retailers, instead of promoting their B&M store, as there's no indication online that they operate a storefront. I myself just discovered the storefront accidentally.....

R
Old 12-06-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I get flyers in the Daily Herald for Music Movies and More whne thye have huge parking lot sales..neve rknew it was the same place
Old 12-07-01, 12:35 PM

I don't know if they're the same place. I've never seen that flyer firsthand. If they're located at 900 Rohlwing in Itasca, then that's probably it. If not, DDD's B&M is called Movies N' Music Outlet...

R
Old 12-10-01, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

same place..same address
Old 12-13-01, 03:18 PM
CS@DeepDiscount

Movies & Music Outlet Store is the name of our B&M. We have various DVD's, VHS and CD's at discounted prices. DVD prices are comparable to DeepDiscountDVD prices. If you find something in the store that is at a lower price on DeepDiscountDVD.com we will honor the lower price.

Not all of the titles on our site are in our store. If the item that you are looking for is not in the store but we do have it in our warehouse we can have the item pulled from the warehouse for you. This may only be done before 4P CT M-F.

The store is located at:
900 N Rohlwing Rd
Itasca IL 60143

Hours 10a-7p M-F
10a-3p Sat

Hope this clarifies some of the confusion.

Best regards,

Rick Mejorado
DeepDiscountDVD
Customer Service Supervisor
Old 12-14-01, 10:38 AM

Rick -

Thanks for the clarification. You forgot to verify an important issue, though. Can you pick up orders placed online or by the phone? I called before to ask about this already, but since you're on board, can you please address this once and for all? I'm sure a lot of folks would love to get a definitive answer, including me.

TIA,
R

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.