Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Empire: Can someone please explain to me....

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-03-01, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a sincere question, because I am truly perplexed. I have ordered at least a dozen or more purchases from DVD Empire over the last year or so. Separately that is. On each order, I paid the minimum for postage and *always* got my order within 48 hours. Sometimes the next day. They are only one state away from me. Last week, I ordered another movie from them. I guess it has been a few weeks since I had been there. I get a message that said something like about 7% of their orders can take 7-10 days to receive with regular shipping. Or something like that. Which is now called "media mail" from what I gather. I agreed because I thought that because of my history with them, and not having to pay extra before, surely my orders wouldn't take that long. WRONG! I still don't have my order. And they haven't responded to my e-mail asking what changed and why some orders are taking longer. Especially to places not that far away. Can someone explain to me how media mail works? And why anything would take 7-10 days now that used to take 48 hours or less. Sorry, but I just don't feel like shelling out $3.00 or more dollars for a faster delivery on one movie. Thanks.
Old 12-03-01, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think media mail is a new shipping option for them. They used to ship out everything via Priority which is 2-3 days.

They still offer that option, it's just media mail is a lot cheaper and some people don't mind waiting longer to save money.
Old 12-03-01, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for your response. But I never paid priority before. That's what my concern/question is.
Old 12-03-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daytripper
Thanks for your response. But I never paid priority before. That's what my concern/question is.
You mentioned you had paid the "minimum" for shipping before. Before they added media mail, Priority was the cheapest shipping option.

So I thought maybe it was possible your previous orders were sent Priority?
Old 12-03-01, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always order from DVDEMpire using media mail-the orders would ship on Friday and I would get them by Tues of the next week in Illionois-the last one took about 3 days longer though
Old 12-03-01, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right. I'm sorry. If "minimum" was Priority, then that's what I chose. Did that cost go up though? I don't ever remember spending that much before.
Old 12-03-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, meda mail takes a lot longer. I actually heard from somebody that all media mail packages go to a big sorting place in Alaska, and then are sent out from there, so that would obviously add to the time needed (I have no proof to back this up - just saying what I heard once).

All that, combined with the Anthrax mail scare, and I can see why things take longer now.
Old 12-03-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alaska!? Good God! Since they haven't even bothered responding to my e-mail, I don't think I'll be shopping with them again.

Are there *any* decent online stores anymore?