Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Thx?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx?

Hi everyone, (my first post)

Can anyone tell me what THX is, and is it something I need? I'm just getting started into a home theater and want to make as few mistakes as possable. So far all I have is the large screen TV (Toshiba 55HX70). Next I'd like to get a receiver and a VCR, so any suggestions would be great. I don't need top of the line but I don't want something that won't sound good or be out dated in a short time either.

Thanks, and any help would be appreciated!

Kathy
Old 12-03-01, 02:05 AM

Hi and welcome.

THX is simply a form of certification. It is standards set for video, audio, and anything else in home theater. If something has the THX logo on it, it just means that that piece of equipment has met the standards that THX holds. Just because something does not bare the THX logo does mean it's not a great item. Most equipment does not have THX certification. However, most (if not all) THX certified pieces are awesome, but tend to be a bit pricey at times. It's a way for a customer to "know" the equipment they are buying is good. You can even have your own living room THX certified for a nice penny to Mr. Lucas!

Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-01, 02:16 AM

Bose Pro, thanks for the explanation & the welcome, and yes it helped a lot!

Kathy
Old 12-03-01, 10:05 AM

Purchasing THX certified equipment isn't always necessary, but certified equipment generally has a bit more power for extra headroom. It's like getting a car with the larger engine. You will put less stress on a certified piece than you might on a non-cert , simply because of the headroom.
Old 12-03-01, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Just to add the cost of the logo has a lot to do with the higher cost of THX certified product. There is a ton of gear that would pass that just has not been submitted.
Old 12-03-01, 12:59 PM

Ok thanks guys, the receiver i was thinking about was the Onkyo TXDS797, I know nothing about this stuff so if anyone could tell me if it's a good choice or not I sure would appreciate it, or if there's something better in the same price range let me know. I'll be hooking up DirecTV (HD) and Tivo, Toshiba (SD-5700 DVD), a S-VHS VCR ? And some good speakers? Thats about it I guess, unless you guys see something I'm missing? Thanks for all the help!

Kathy
Old 12-03-01, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Thx?

Originally posted by Kathy Jo
Hi everyone, (my first post)

Next I'd like to get a receiver and a VCR

What is this V...C...R...you speak of?

-pedagogue
Old 12-03-01, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Onkyo 797 is an awesome receiver. The Denon 3802 is another excellent choice in the same price range.

For speakers here are two incredible setups:

Fronts: PSB Image 5B
Center: PSB Image 9C
Rears: PSB Image 2B
Sub: PSB Image Subsonic 6

Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7
Center: Paradigm CC-370
Rears: Paradigm Mini Monitors
Sub: Paradigm PDR-12
Old 12-03-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.thx.com/
Old 12-04-01, 12:58 AM

pedagogue, is there something better then VCR's or are you just being cute? I'm not up on new products, so if theres a better way to record movies then a VCR let me know ok? Thanks!

skar, thanks for the information and I'll check out both of your tips. Would you happen to have a link where I could see the speakers your talking about? Thanks!

jumbojp, thanks for the link!

Kathy
Old 12-04-01, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

instead of vcr look into www.tivo.com
Old 12-04-01, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kathy Jo
skar, thanks for the information and I'll check out both of your tips. Would you happen to have a link where I could see the speakers your talking about? Thanks!

No problem.

http://www.psbspeakers.com
http://www.paradigm.com
Old 12-05-01, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by svadas
instead of vcr look into www.tivo.com
Amen!
Once you get to see a TiVo in action, you will never watch live TV again. Soooooo much easier than VCR, and much better quality.
Old 12-05-01, 10:53 AM

svadas & Scott, thanks for the information on tivo, I checked into it and sounds great. But I do have one question about it thats not answered on there web site. Will tivo record HD signals? Or just the regular digital and broadcast signals? Thanks!

Scott, are you saying that the recorded picture is better quality then then the live broadcast signal? Thanks!

skar, once again thanks for the links and they sure look like nice speakers. I know it would be better to be able ta hear them before I buy them, but my problem is I live in the country and theres not a single store that sells good speakers with in 80 miles of me. So I pretty much have to buy them on line. So it's great that I can get peoples help that have them or know something about them. Thanks!

Kathy