Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

DJ Qbert - Wave Twisters DVD

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received my signed copy from the official site, and I must say this is a sweet DVD. I never saw the video when it was available online, so it was fresh for me (excuse the pun). For those not in the know, DJ Qbert is one of the premiere turntablist on the scene, and the Wave Twisters movie is an animated feature set to the music of Qbert's 1998 release of the same name; it's basically an extended music video. The animators did a superb job of melding the 2-D, rendered, and live action clips, and of syncing the video with the scratch-heavy music. The video quality is great, and the new DD 5.1 mix is excellent as well.

Extras:

- Audio Commentary with Qbert and the 3 creators of the movie
- Deleted Scenes
- Film-to-animatic comparisons
- ~20 minute behind the scenes featurette
- 2 multi-angle live-action scratching clips
- Trailers for WT and Scracth (when is this being released, anyway?)
- Sketch book and animation tests
- Beaucoup subtitles and DVD-Rom content including source files from the film

Overall, this is a must buy for any Qbert fans, backpackers, or amateur scratchers. Though you may question its value given that the film itself is quite short (about 40-45 minutes?), the extras add much to the experience. I've already watched it once with the commentary and twice without, and I'm sure to show this to everyone I can. See how many old-school hip-hop and video game references you can find.

Spoiler:
And there's a cameo from halfsharkalligatorhalfman, how tight is that?
Old 12-03-01, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has gotta be awesome. Ever since Dr. Octagon I have been in awe of DjQ. Damn, I wish I could get this but my DVD priorities are crazy limited and messed up. I hope it doesn't go out of print.

Cool spoiler, BTW.
Old 12-07-01, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump for the other person or two who might be interested in this killer DVD.
Old 12-11-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot that this was coming out. I ordered a copy for myself and one for my cousin for Christmas (he'll be thrilled). I got one of them in the mail yesterday. Guess I'll be making a call to CDStreet if the other one doesn't arrive today.
Old 05-10-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a bump from the past.

i missed this thread the first time around and found out about this film from buskerdog's review. i don't know if reviewers pick what to review or if geoff says "review this"... but either way i'm really happy that it was picked and got such a good review.

i was finally able to watch this last night... 3 times.

what a great disc. i didn't have dj qbert's album and didn't really know what to expect (the description sounds a bit weird). everything was disjointed the first time through, probably because i didn't understand all of what was going on.

the subtitles that render every word that is scra-sc-scra-scratched is one of the coolest features i've ever seen on dvd. also this disc makes about as good a use of the surrounds of any disc i've heard.
Old 05-10-02, 10:30 PM

I don't see where I can purchase a signed copy. Where is it on the site?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-13-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they sold out a while ago. i resurrected an old thread rather than start a new one--sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-14-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for bumping it. Buskerdog's review really got me pscyched for this disc. But being about $30, I haven't gotten it yet. Would this be a good buy for someone that has never listened to DJ Q*Bert but swears by his Beastie Boys Criterion DVD?
Old 05-15-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i hadn't really heard much DJ Qbert before (at least knowingly). i know he collaborated with the automator on Dr Octagon and I generally really like everything automator has been involved in.

wave twisters isn't so much a music video as seen on MTV, but more a movie all on its own. i think the only things that are different in the audio of the movie and the original cd are that a few scenes have remixed scratching so the live-action shots would match up with the sound. every time a character speaks or there is an explosion it was there in the original. it's a testament to qbert's collage of sounds, but it is also clear that a lot of imagination went into making this production work. it borrows an awful lot from star wars but adds a lot along the way too.

the first time through, i'd definitely recommend using the subtitles so you'll get a bit more of the story. i've only had this disc for a week but i think it's been played every day since i've gotten it, whether to listen to or to watch.

this one was a pretty blind purchase for me as well. it seems a bit expensive but i jumped at it and am definitely glad that i did. if you like the quirkiness of the beastie boys videos and buskerdog's review made wave twisters sound like something you'd like--i'd definitely recomend this disc. besides, how can you go wrong when the cover looks exactly like the box for an atari cartridge, and the menu options all look like atari cartridges too?
Old 05-15-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eeyore
besides, how can you go wrong when the cover looks exactly like the box for an atari cartridge, and the menu options all look like atari cartridges too?

You're a smooth talker, Eeyore; I'll put my order in soon. The cover art is what made me click to the review in the first place. Definitely wouldn't hurt having that baby on my shelf.